The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Tell me your horse stories!

countrygalb4
Visit My Farm

Re: Tell me your horse stories!

Post by countrygalb4 »

so my whole horse story is quite interesting. I was trained by Mexicans(I don't have anything against them) and they were horrible teachers. I hate how they treat their horse and the lack of care. Over the last few years, we have taught them with our few years of knowledge against there like 20 years. but anyway let's begin. I got my first horse almost 5 years ago, he was a neglected quarter-horse pony, we were told he was a gelding but he was not we found out later. he was quite the hand full, we got him castrated but that didn't help. I didn't feel I was giving him the right training and attention he needed because I had gotten a slight fear of him after being thrown and tossed around multiple times. so I ended up selling him to get.... a mare. Yeahh so that wasn't the best idea. the next horse I got was a 2-year-old filly who had just started being broken under the saddle by Mexicans. She was skinny had spur marks and had a huge bucking problem. I worked through the bucking problem and bonded with her but for some reason, I never connected with her, after 2 years with her she was plump muscular, and was ok trained. Looking back now she would have an amazing barrel horse but like I said she and I never really connected. at the time I didn't have much patience and she and I were too much alike bother hard-headed I made the hard choice of letting her go. Even though we didn't connect she was still my baby and It was incredibly hard after how far we had both come. I decided to put aside horses for a little bit to focus on my goats and other animals. but recently I have bonded with a stallion who just stole my heart. he is not mine but the owner can't ride anymore after several accidents( not involving him) so I take care of him. over the last few weeks I have started riding him bareback, It went from just walking around for a little bit with a bridle to now I can gallop on him with a neck rein. the only problem is the real owner let abusive people take him to rodeos. he comes back with burns, spur marks, and whip marks all over. And as I just said I can ride him bareback with a neck rein so they have absolutely no reason for that because he listens incredibly well. I am about to confront him about these people the only problem is it is hard to communicate with him because he doesn't speak or understand English very fluently. wish me luck with him and the problems that are going on.
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

countrygalb4 wrote:so my whole horse story is quite interesting. I was trained by Mexicans(I don't have anything against them) and they were horrible teachers. I hate how they treat their horse and the lack of care. Over the last few years, we have taught them with our few years of knowledge against there like 20 years. but anyway let's begin. I got my first horse almost 5 years ago, he was a neglected quarter-horse pony, we were told he was a gelding but he was not we found out later. he was quite the hand full, we got him castrated but that didn't help. I didn't feel I was giving him the right training and attention he needed because I had gotten a slight fear of him after being thrown and tossed around multiple times. so I ended up selling him to get.... a mare. Yeahh so that wasn't the best idea. the next horse I got was a 2-year-old filly who had just started being broken under the saddle by Mexicans. She was skinny had spur marks and had a huge bucking problem. I worked through the bucking problem and bonded with her but for some reason, I never connected with her, after 2 years with her she was plump muscular, and was ok trained. Looking back now she would have an amazing barrel horse but like I said she and I never really connected. at the time I didn't have much patience and she and I were too much alike bother hard-headed I made the hard choice of letting her go. Even though we didn't connect she was still my baby and It was incredibly hard after how far we had both come. I decided to put aside horses for a little bit to focus on my goats and other animals. but recently I have bonded with a stallion who just stole my heart. he is not mine but the owner can't ride anymore after several accidents( not involving him) so I take care of him. over the last few weeks I have started riding him bareback, It went from just walking around for a little bit with a bridle to now I can gallop on him with a neck rein. the only problem is the real owner let abusive people take him to rodeos. he comes back with burns, spur marks, and whip marks all over. And as I just said I can ride him bareback with a neck rein so they have absolutely no reason for that because he listens incredibly well. I am about to confront him about these people the only problem is it is hard to communicate with him because he doesn't speak or understand English very fluently. wish me luck with him and the problems that are going on.
I definitely wish you good luck. I'm glad that stallion listens to you though, after what he's been through (and still going through). Have fun!
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

honeybunny wrote:I'll try to keep this shortish, but I'm a chatty person sooooo. Hang in there! I promise it's worth it.
Great story!
Nell
Visit My Farm

Post by Nell »

Tom wrote:Hello everyone, I need your horse stories!
Please tell me about your real life interactions with horses.

Did your horse do something funny? Sad? Unexpected?
Was there a problem with your horse? How did you solve it?
Did you work through a training issue? Riding issue? Tack issue? Tell me about it!

I need everything from small simple things to big ordeals that took years to solve.

Please include details like what kind of horse, what discipline, etc.

Thank you!
Well Last summer I met my heart Horse. Her name is Nellie. She's a pure Hafl mare standing at about 15hh. I got the chance to ride her for the very first time. I didn't have any tack so I went with just her halter. I had an amazing time galloping in the field. she's Blind in one eye meaning she does have limits with what we can do But that doesn't stop us. she's a very sweet and amazing girl. She hasn't bucked me off yet^^ the Owner wants to her sell her but the only reason he's keeping her around is because of the fact I care for her. When I started working with this amazing mare I was told she would never mount to anything as she can't be ridden. but Somehow I was able to ride her within a few days of them getting her. it was true magic. She's now living a very happy life with the other 3 horses :)

Another story would be the one where I was walking int the pasture where we keep the beef cows and the two drafts. Well there's a bull out there and He's very Uh mean- this Bull almost took the life of my Uncle. I was walking in the pasture making sure all the beef cows were there and counted for. But I wasn't paying much attention. the bull was following me around not seeming to let up. the two drafts saw this and took it upon themselves to follow very close behind me. when I turned my eyes caught that of the bull. The two horses stood beside me and kinda kept me between them. they touched noses and didn't move. almost as if they were protecting me.
Nobody ig
Visit My Farm

Post by Nobody ig »

OK so not me, but a girl riding a horse at the beach. I work for a company that does horse riding on the ocean front, and ANYONE can sign up. So this girl didn't in any way know how to control a horse. She kept kicking it and yanking on the reins, and this horse was getting fed up. He started galloping full speed across the beach, so this girl decided to throw herself of the horse sideways. She landed partially under the horse and it crushed her leg. She ended up fracturing her arm and her thigh bone is completely ruined. Now her parents are trying to sue because we have "dangerous animals." That's my story. What are your thoughts? Do you think it was our fault?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nobody ig wrote:OK so not me, but a girl riding a horse at the beach. I work for a company that does horse riding on the ocean front, and ANYONE can sign up. So this girl didn't in any way know how to control a horse. She kept kicking it and yanking on the reins, and this horse was getting fed up. He started galloping full speed across the beach, so this girl decided to throw herself of the horse sideways. She landed partially under the horse and it crushed her leg. She ended up fracturing her arm and her thigh bone is completely ruined. Now her parents are trying to sue because we have "dangerous animals." That's my story. What are your thoughts? Do you think it was our fault?
If you happen to be in the U.S. then in most states (I'm not positive) there is a law that essentially says that if you chose to be around horses (it may include other animals), then since there is an inherent risk because they're so large, you're taking your safety in your own hands. Essentially, it's the person's responsibility to keep themself safe because there is a natural danger with horses.

On the other hand, your company should have a clause written into their contracts, something to the extent of 'horses are large, powerful animals and at any time, anything can happen. You understand this and are willing to take this risk and will hold the company harmless if an accident occurs.'
There are some exceptions to such things, but if the horse is just doing what horses do, then there is little grounds for winning a lawsuit. ^ If you fall under either of these aforementioned situations.

Also, there may be an age limit there. In the U.S. somebody that's underage, can't legally sign a contract, without parental or guardianship consent.
If you only work for the company, it's not your place to worry. :D You let them handle it. Tell the truth and let the cards fall where they may.
It almost sounds like she might've been a rodeo rider, like barrels? Or that's what she always watched. A shame that her [assumed] first ride ended with her breaking her leg, but some helpful beginner-learning would've changed the outcome greatly.

A person can only work with the information they're given at any one point in time. If the information given is a lie, then the consequences must fall on the person (people, company or entity) that lied and not on the person, people, company or entity that used such information.
eh... yeah. :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Nobody ig wrote:OK so not me, but a girl riding a horse at the beach. I work for a company that does horse riding on the ocean front, and ANYONE can sign up. So this girl didn't in any way know how to control a horse. She kept kicking it and yanking on the reins, and this horse was getting fed up. He started galloping full speed across the beach, so this girl decided to throw herself of the horse sideways. She landed partially under the horse and it crushed her leg. She ended up fracturing her arm and her thigh bone is completely ruined. Now her parents are trying to sue because we have "dangerous animals." That's my story. What are your thoughts? Do you think it was our fault?
If you happen to be in the U.S. then in most states (I'm not positive) there is a law that essentially says that if you chose to be around horses (it may include other animals), then since there is an inherent risk because they're so large, you're taking your safety in your own hands. Essentially, it's the person's responsibility to keep themself safe because there is a natural danger with horses.

On the other hand, your company should have a clause written into their contracts, something to the extent of 'horses are large, powerful animals and at any time, anything can happen. You understand this and are willing to take this risk and will hold the company harmless if an accident occurs.'
There are some exceptions to such things, but if the horse is just doing what horses do, then there is little grounds for winning a lawsuit. ^ If you fall under either of these aforementioned situations.

Also, there may be an age limit there. In the U.S. somebody that's underage, can't legally sign a contract, without parental or guardianship consent.
If you only work for the company, it's not your place to worry. :D You let them handle it. Tell the truth and let the cards fall where they may.
It almost sounds like she might've been a rodeo rider, like barrels? Or that's what she always watched. A shame that her [assumed] first ride ended with her breaking her leg, but some helpful beginner-learning would've changed the outcome greatly.

A person can only work with the information they're given at any one point in time. If the information given is a lie, then the consequences must fall on the person (people, company or entity) that lied and not on the person, people, company or entity that used such information.
eh... yeah. :D
Also it would be safer to require her to have evidence of being able to control a horse, and if she can't then have restrictions on how much she can do with the horse.
Nobody ig
Visit My Farm

Post by Nobody ig »

We do teach riders the basics, turning, signs that a horse is going to kick/nip at another horse, how to speed up, slow down, etc. We have a guide, and you aren't supposed to go any faster than him/her. We also ask how much experience everyone has riding so we know which horse is best suited for them. She said she's been taking riding lessons for a few months, which I now have a hard time believing. We also have everyone (or their parents if they are under 18) sign an agreement pretty much saying they chose to be around horses and injuries are not our fault, so I don't think she is going to win a lawsuit, if it is even approved. I just wanted to share, even if it doesn't turn into anything big. :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nobody ig wrote:We do teach riders the basics, turning, signs that a horse is going to kick/nip at another horse, how to speed up, slow down, etc. We have a guide, and you aren't supposed to go any faster than him/her. We also ask how much experience everyone has riding so we know which horse is best suited for them. She said she's been taking riding lessons for a few months, which I now have a hard time believing. We also have everyone (or their parents if they are under 18) sign an agreement pretty much saying they chose to be around horses and injuries are not our fault, so I don't think she is going to win a lawsuit, if it is even approved. I just wanted to share, even if it doesn't turn into anything big. :D
It is an excellent story! So, thank you for sharing.

I suspect her riding lessons may be correct. But... riding lessons = ponying around and not actually having control of her horse yet. Besides, if she's taking lessons only once a week, that still equates to maybe as few as 12 lessons and could also mean as few as 6 hours in the saddle (depending on occurrences and length of lessons).
Still just a baby beginner. And I would think that anybody riding in under a year (or less than 50 hours) is still a baby beginner and should be shuttled about on your most mouth-safe and side-safe horses.
Of course, a single ride around the ring on a horse will also tell you (or an experienced horse person) just where the rider is, in their riding skills. An accurate horse may prove useful. Perhaps one that's very sensitive in both mouth and sides, but also lazy and maybe a bit headstrong (you know, the type that likes to go for that grass, then walk in a line ;) ). The combination can be very useful for revealing riders that have limited riding experience.

I think, I'd be interested if you are willing to share whatever the final outcome of this is. Although it's a miserable story, the lesson held within, is still an important one and the outcome as considerably enlightening.

Thumbs up! For you and your company remembering that hold-harmless contract. 8-)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

Nobody ig wrote:We do teach riders the basics, turning, signs that a horse is going to kick/nip at another horse, how to speed up, slow down, etc. We have a guide, and you aren't supposed to go any faster than him/her. We also ask how much experience everyone has riding so we know which horse is best suited for them. She said she's been taking riding lessons for a few months, which I now have a hard time believing. We also have everyone (or their parents if they are under 18) sign an agreement pretty much saying they chose to be around horses and injuries are not our fault, so I don't think she is going to win a lawsuit, if it is even approved. I just wanted to share, even if it doesn't turn into anything big. :D
Oh, okay. And I agree with BlackOak2. I would like to hear the outcome of this as well, if you're okay with sharing it.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:36 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:36 am