The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Tell me your horse stories!

PeachRosewing
Visit My Farm

Re: Tell me your horse stories!

Post by PeachRosewing »

So. Iv been riding for 3.5 years, and I'm Cantering, a bit of jumping, but no a the Same time.
I have lessons once a week, but my trainers sick, so I haven't ridden for a month.
I ride with my best friend, Mari, and I have for most of the time I've been riding. I'd say she's ride for 4 years, so not much longer than me.
However, recently,we switched barns, or rather, Mari did and I went along with her.
And Mari got really good, really fast. She's now bareback jumping Cantering. And i am maybe Cantering on the easiest horse there. Though I've done that once since we got there. Shes so far ahead!!! How did she get there that quickly? And now I have to stand in the middle while she canters around me. I'm not- well, I am complaining. But we always do competitions, and she always beats me. I don't know, I'm just.... Disappointed? I've got to stop being so controlling and jealous, and just focus on my own thing, so that I will do!
reehan23dew
Visit My Farm

Post by reehan23dew »

I’ve been riding horses for almost 5 years now, will be 5 exactly on March 23rd. I’ve ridden all sorts of horses and switched around to a few different barns over my years to learn different kinds of riding. I started out when I was 12 at a hunter jumper barn with very good lesson horses where I rode everything from half drafts to little 14 hand ponies. Most calm and gentle horses ever that did what you want to do by just asking. Fast forward a year and a half and I started at a new barn and leasing a 15 hand solid paint bred gelding Nitro. He was kinda somewhere between green broke and a lesson horse, he was not finished in the canter at all but was fine for walk/trot. I showed him for the 2019 show season where I live. He was a sweet gelding but we never really clicked. The end of that year there was drama at that barn so I was in need of a new place.

So someone contacted my mom about leasing her 4 yo mare who I met through my school equestrian team. At first I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to work with her since this horse was a LOT of horse for me who was only turning 15 at that point. Very green horse and strong willed. Now it’s 2 years later and I now own this horse and she is the best thing that has ever happened to me. In 2 years she’s gone from Intro level dressage to First Level Test 1! It’s been a wild ride :lol:
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Iris Rock Stables »

My horse story,
So I have a horse named Callie (she is a POA and probably has part Arabian in her)
Anyways, when I first bought Callie, The first time I actually rode her is when I was still taking riding lesson (Due to a issue that happened I don't take riding lessons anymore, but we still bought her) Callie wasn't chill but not hot-headed either, I've only had her for about 6 years already, So when I started riding her more and more and she probably got irritated that I was riding her so often, so then in like the past 2 years I haven't been able to ride her lately (I mean i rode her today) so when I started doing barrel competitions with her after not riding her like a year or 2 (this was last year) I realized that since I didn't ride her lately, she was barn sour and very hot-headed and when I would go on trail rides my horse would try turning around and trying rear up on me, and trying to go back to the barn and get me off, ofc i was scared of this, And I know I didn't burn her out because like I said I didn't ride her for a while. She'll try to buck, rear, and run off with me, I've been almost dragged by this due to my boot hooking onto the horn of my saddle. And like I said she has part Arabian in her so she is quite a spitfire.. She still try to run back to the barn but not as often.
https://i.ibb.co/6F4nsN5/Screenshot-202 ... -20-PM.png
Last edited by Iris Rock Stables on Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:30 am, edited 19 times in total.
islandhill
Visit My Farm

Post by islandhill »

Iris rock stables wrote:My horse story,
So I have a horse named Callie (she is a POA and probably has part arabian in her), AND I NEED SOMEONE'S HELP!
Anyways, when i first bought callie, The first time I actually rode her is when I was still taking riding lesson (Due to a issue that happened I dont take riding lessons anymore, but we still bought her) Callie wasnt chill but not hot-headed either, I've only had her for about 6 years already, So when i started riding her more and more and she probably got irritated that i was riding her so often, so then in like the past 2 years I havent been able to ride her lately (I mean i rode her today) so when i started doing barrel competitions with her after not riding her like a year or 2 (this was last year) I realized that since i didnt ride her lately, she was barn sour and very hot-headed and when i would go on trail rides my horse would try turning around and trying rear up on me, and trying to go back to the barn and get me off, ofc i was scared of this, And i know i didnt burn her out because like i said i didnt ride her for a while, so i need someone to help me on what to do about callie, she'll try to buck, rear, and run off with me, ive been almost dragged by this due to my boot hooking onto the horn of my saddle. How do I make her stop rearing is my big idea. And like i said she has part arabian in her so she is a SPITFIRE.. Pls give me ideas on how to make her stop rearing. She still try to run back to the barn but not as often. I just want help with her rearing. Pls give ideas.
Okay, so first things first, rearing is one of the worst problems a horse can have and it usually means they are in some sort of discomfort. The first step I would take is talking to your trainer, vet, or trusted horseman/woman about this issue and see if it can be resolved. Rearing is just a dangerous risk for both you and your horse and it should be immediately resolved by a professional :)

“The starting point of all achievement is desire.”
-Napoleon Hill
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm

islandhill wrote:
Iris rock stables wrote:My horse story,
So I have a horse named Callie (she is a POA and probably has part arabian in her), AND I NEED SOMEONE'S HELP!
Anyways, when i first bought callie, The first time I actually rode her is when I was still taking riding lesson (Due to a issue that happened I dont take riding lessons anymore, but we still bought her) Callie wasnt chill but not hot-headed either, I've only had her for about 6 years already, So when i started riding her more and more and she probably got irritated that i was riding her so often, so then in like the past 2 years I havent been able to ride her lately (I mean i rode her today) so when i started doing barrel competitions with her after not riding her like a year or 2 (this was last year) I realized that since i didnt ride her lately, she was barn sour and very hot-headed and when i would go on trail rides my horse would try turning around and trying rear up on me, and trying to go back to the barn and get me off, ofc i was scared of this, And i know i didnt burn her out because like i said i didnt ride her for a while, so i need someone to help me on what to do about callie, she'll try to buck, rear, and run off with me, ive been almost dragged by this due to my boot hooking onto the horn of my saddle. How do I make her stop rearing is my big idea. And like i said she has part arabian in her so she is a SPITFIRE.. Pls give me ideas on how to make her stop rearing. She still try to run back to the barn but not as often. I just want help with her rearing. Pls give ideas.
Okay, so first things first, rearing is one of the worst problems a horse can have and it usually means they are in some sort of discomfort. The first step I would take is talking to your trainer, vet, or trusted horseman/woman about this issue and see if it can be resolved. Rearing is just a dangerous risk for both you and your horse and it should be immediately resolved by a professional :)
She I dont think is in discomfort due to the fact that i havent rode her in a while and shes only 13 years old, i changed out her saddle and it fits her perfectly.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Iris rock stables wrote:
islandhill wrote:
She I dont think is in discomfort due to the fact that i havent rode her in a while and shes only 13 years old, i changed out her saddle and it fits her perfectly.
islandhill does have a point. There could be back issues.
However, once you have a vet or somebody that knows what to look for, for back issues, then you can move onto the next step. It could also be teeth problems. So if you haven't ridden your horse in a number of years, get an equine dentist out there and get him or her to float those teeth! This is also incredibly important and something that even 'most' horse people forget to do.
I wouldn't recommend a beginner or even an intermediate (maybe not even an advanced) rider to try to correct a rearing horse. A horse that's lifting their front feet off the ground and raising upward, placing their weight fully on their rear feet is a horse that could also be willing to finish flipping over.
That's scary and the warning should ALWAYS be taken seriously.
However. A horse that's lifting the front feet up and balancing on the back feet to spin around, is NOT a horse that's rearing. Be sure of which it is. Because a horse that's using such a move to turn around is not a horse that's 'rearing' and is a horse that's 'not willing' to flip itself over.
Such a horse that's willing to flip is a horse that's willing to endanger itself to remove the annoyance upon it's back. These horses do so because they feel endangered (think cougar upon the back) or... in some cases it can be a horse that's not right in the mind.

Okay. So the horse is rearing and not in pain. You will need to find yourself somebody that can (and has dealt with it in the past) correct a rearing horse. But... unless you're prepared to encounter such a thing in the future, this horse may always be too dangerous for you to ride. You will need to face this, if this is the likely problem. you may need to consider your horse might be better off with another owner.

But a rearing horse that's not in pain, is a bit rare.

The other option is that your horse isn't 'rearing' but offering the first stage of the buck. Most often, it seems, that a horse described as 'rearing' is actually mistaken for the first stage of a buck. A buck starts in the front of a horse and ends in the back. So a horse must first tense in the front and it often does bring that front off the ground, and then the energy transfers into the rear and again, often brings the rear legs up. It can also be followed with a kick. So, try to figure out what your horse is actually doing.

If your horse is definitely not in pain and definitely has or a dentist has determined that the horse's teeth are good. Then it's about the horse not wanting to work. And they do learn quick how to scare us into allowing them to get their way.
There are many techniques to fix these things. IF your horse is safe for you to ride: Is not in pain. Teeth are good to go. Is not actually rearing.
Then the very next step, is to get your horse working. Lunging can be quite helpful to tire your horse out a little (so he or she is less willing to fight you) before you get aboard. Lots of backing practice, simple walking around the ring, even if it's just walking for thirty or forty minutes straight. And long, slow trots. At first, shorter time with more often is better. So like thirty minutes every day or even twice a day at a walk is great. Then you can start to throw in a couple times around the ring at a trot. And so forth.

There's also the consideration that your equipment isn't correct. Your horse may be unused to the rear girth of the western saddle, if your saddle has one and you're using it. It may be too tight or too loose. The bit might not be correct or the bridle might not be set right. So it's important for you to get some hands-on help to make sure all of these things are checked off.
Slowly go through each of these things to help figure out what your horse's problem IS NOT, so that you're left with what your horse's problem most likely is.

Good Luck! And please remember, we're just a gaming community. Although we can offer a lot of insight and food-for-thought, you should always rely on your in-life horse people to give you a direct hand. Although horse's are not inherently a dangerous creature, by interacting directly with them and not minding our basic safety procedures, we make them inherently dangerous. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:
Iris rock stables wrote: She I dont think is in discomfort due to the fact that i havent rode her in a while and shes only 13 years old, i changed out her saddle and it fits her perfectly.
However, once you have a vet or somebody that knows what to look for, for back issues, then you can move onto the next step. It could also be teeth problems. So if you haven't ridden your horse in a number of years, get an equine dentist out there and get him or her to float those teeth! This is also incredibly important and something that even 'most' horse people forget to do.
I wouldn't recommend a beginner or even an intermediate (maybe not even an advanced) rider to try to correct a rearing horse. A horse that's lifting their front feet off the ground and raising upward, placing their weight fully on their rear feet is a horse that could also be willing to finish flipping over.
However. A horse that's lifting the front feet up and balancing on the back feet to spin around, is NOT a horse that's rearing. Be sure of which it is. Because a horse that's using such a move to turn around is not a horse that's 'rearing' and is a horse that's 'not willing' to flip itself over.
Such a horse that's willing to flip is a horse that's willing to endanger itself to remove the annoyance upon it's back. These horses do so because they feel endangered (think cougar upon the back) or... in some cases it can be a horse that's not right in the mind.

Okay. So the horse is rearing and not in pain. You will need to find yourself somebody that can (and has dealt with it in the past) correct a rearing horse. But... unless you're prepared to encounter such a thing in the future, this horse may always be too dangerous for you to ride. You will need to face this, if this is the likely problem. you may need to consider your horse might be better off with another owner.

The other option is that your horse isn't 'rearing' but offering the first stage of the buck. Most often, it seems, that a horse described as 'rearing' is actually mistaken for the first stage of a buck. A buck starts in the front of a horse and ends in the back. So a horse must first tense in the front and it often does bring that front off the ground, and then the energy transfers into the rear and again, often brings the rear legs up. It can also be followed with a kick. So, try to figure out what your horse is actually doing.

If your horse is definitely not in pain and definitely has or a dentist has determined that the horse's teeth are good. Then it's about the horse not wanting to work. And they do learn quick how to scare us into allowing them to get their way.
There are many techniques to fix these things. IF your horse is safe for you to ride: Is not in pain. Teeth are good to go. Is not actually rearing.
Then the very next step, is to get your horse working. Lunging can be quite helpful to tire your horse out a little (so he or she is less willing to fight you) before you get aboard. Lots of backing practice, simple walking around the ring, even if it's just walking for thirty or forty minutes straight. And long, slow trots. At first, shorter time with more often is better. So like thirty minutes every day or even twice a day at a walk is great. Then you can start to throw in a couple times around the ring at a trot. And so forth.

There's also the consideration that your equipment isn't correct. Your horse may be unused to the rear girth of the western saddle, if your saddle has one and you're using it. It may be too tight or too loose. The bit might not be correct or the bridle might not be set right. So it's important for you to get some hands-on help to make sure all of these things are checked off.
Slowly go through each of these things to help figure out what your horse's problem IS NOT, so that you're left with what your horse's problem most likely is.

Good Luck! And please remember, we're just a gaming community. Although we can offer a lot of insight and food-for-thought, you should always rely on your in-life horse people to give you a direct hand. Although horse's are not inherently a dangerous creature, by interacting directly with them and not minding our basic safety procedures, we make them inherently dangerous. :mrgreen:
Like a year ago i had her teeth floated and she isnt dropping grain or hay unless if its some other problem, but when i was riding more and more she was fine until after i didnt ride her for a while, she always wanted to run back to the barn and try to buck and rear on me after i didnt ride her for a while, do u think its just her being barn sour?
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm

Iris rock stables wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Like a year ago i had her teeth floated and she isnt dropping grain or hay unless if its some other problem, but when i was riding more and more she was fine until after i didnt ride her for a while, she always wanted to run back to the barn and try to buck and rear on me after i didnt ride her for a while, do u think its just her being barn sour? It probably is but ill try and take the advice on how to correct her on that, thank you
RosesDemise
Visit My Farm

Post by RosesDemise »

Iris rock stables wrote: Like a year ago i had her teeth floated and she isnt dropping grain or hay unless if its some other problem, but when i was riding more and more she was fine until after i didnt ride her for a while, she always wanted to run back to the barn and try to buck and rear on me after i didnt ride her for a while, do u think its just her being barn sour? It probably is but ill try and take the advice on how to correct her on that, thank you
I think she very well could be barn sour, expesciially if she hasnt been ridden for a while and is just now getting back into it.
Thats the same to what happened to my mare, she hadnt been rode for who knows how many years and would ride just fine in the round pen which was in the pasture. But as soon as i took her out of the pasture she would throw a fit, tossing her head and running back to the gate.
Even then the only time she ever actually bucked me off was due to poor saddle fit.
She very well is barn sour expessically with all the signs pointing to her not dropping hay or lossing weight, and if you got your saddle custom fitted it wouldnt be a fit problem.

Lets say she is barn sour, i wouldnt ride her just yet, what i would do would most likely lead her out and away from her horsey friends, take her to a diffrent side of your area and tie her up, hang out, maybe walk back and fourth between where she tries to "Rear". Doing this for a couple of days should ease her up by getting away and then coming back later.

After that i would start riding again, if she goes back to her old ways i would be stern with getting her forward, my mare used to stop, quickly turn and bolt. I would have to yank her head to the side to get her back the way i wanted her to go.
¨One's Demise shall not be bestowed onto their horse's Fate¨
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm

RosesDemise wrote:
Iris rock stables wrote: Like a year ago i had her teeth floated and she isnt dropping grain or hay unless if its some other problem, but when i was riding more and more she was fine until after i didnt ride her for a while, she always wanted to run back to the barn and try to buck and rear on me after i didnt ride her for a while, do u think its just her being barn sour? It probably is but ill try and take the advice on how to correct her on that, thank you
I think she very well could be barn sour, expesciially if she hasnt been ridden for a while and is just now getting back into it.
Thats the same to what happened to my mare, she hadnt been rode for who knows how many years and would ride just fine in the round pen which was in the pasture. But as soon as i took her out of the pasture she would throw a fit, tossing her head and running back to the gate.
Even then the only time she ever actually bucked me off was due to poor saddle fit.
She very well is barn sour expessically with all the signs pointing to her not dropping hay or lossing weight, and if you got your saddle custom fitted it wouldnt be a fit problem.

Lets say she is barn sour, i wouldnt ride her just yet, what i would do would most likely lead her out and away from her horsey friends, take her to a different side of your area and tie her up, hang out, maybe walk back and fourth between where she tries to "Rear". Doing this for a couple of days should ease her up by getting away and then coming back later.

After that i would start riding again, if she goes back to her old ways i would be stern with getting her forward, my mare used to stop, quickly turn and bolt. I would have to yank her head to the side to get her back the way i wanted her to go.
Ok yea thats also a good idea too, Thank you
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:19 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:19 pm