The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Tell me your horse stories!

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Tell me your horse stories!

Post by BlackOak2 »

Iris rock stables wrote:..
Generally speaking, a horse's teeth should be checked by the dentist once a year, maybe more often when they're under five, because they grow faster. A horse may not necessarily need their teeth floated, not all horse's need their teeth floated yearly, but some do. A dentist is who will check that. Not dropping grain or hay doesn't mean a horse's teeth are good. Dropping grain or hay can mean that floating teeth is WAY overdue... or there's another mouth issue, like an abscess.

Again, if all of these check off, then the next step is to just get them back into the groove.

Another trick (once you're back up on their back and feel confident about staying in the saddle), is when they throw stuff at you (i.e. spinning, running toward the gate, giving a buck), is in that moment, make them work. For instance, if they run toward the gate, then stop and refuse to move, then make 'all their work' right there at the gate. Then walk them toward the other end of the fence (away from the gate) and then let them just stand there and rest. They'll quickly learn that Gate = Work.
Spinning, just make them spin more, circle, circle, circle until they're tired, then a couple more. Then let them stand. So then they learn that them spinning = they must work a circle. I'd have to say... most horses (arguably) will give up such nonsense after a few times, when it means they'll need to do MORE work when they fight you.
But remember, when they're doing good and well, give them plenty of rests, pets, pats. They let you guide them around the ring one time and don't fight you at all, then stop and let them stand there and stare off into the distance for a few minutes. They give you a perfect circle when you first ask them, then drop the reins and let them wander forward for half a ring or so, or if they kind of stutter to a stop, let them do that.

Horse's learn best with the absence of pressure and work best by 'moving away from' pressure (we teach them to move away from pressure when we ride, but this is also something they taught us when we were first learning, many eons ago). This means that their 'treats' are quite often best when you leave them alone. Of course, actual treats can also help. ;)
So, using this theory, when they're fighting you, then they need to work and when they're not fighting you, then you leave them to stand.

Also... be sure you don't try to barrel race your horse until after he or she is fit again. It's not fair to them to stand all winter and then take them on the barrel racing circuit without any prep and to-get-fit work. And of course, injury, you know.
I'm sure you don't do that, though, but definitely should mention that for anybody that might read it. :D

So, in review.
If your horse is good to roll (no pain, no teeth and good, appropriate tack), then start slow but 'back to work'. When horsie does good, stand and hang out with her or him. When horsie doesn't do good, then work, work, work. And... Don't forget to let horsie stand a few after each work, work, work!

Note: Work, Work, Work can still be as simple as four or five walking circles. The point is a horse that doesn't want to work, is being made to do it.

I hope that gives you a few additional ideas to what's going on and how to deal with it. :mrgreen:
Good Luck and stay safe!
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Iris Rock Stables »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Iris rock stables wrote:..
Generally speaking, a horse's teeth should be checked by the dentist once a year, maybe more often when they're under five, because they grow faster. A horse may not necessarily need their teeth floated, not all horse's need their teeth floated yearly, but some do. A dentist is who will check that. Not dropping grain or hay doesn't mean a horse's teeth are good. Dropping grain or hay can mean that floating teeth is WAY overdue... or there's another mouth issue, like an abscess.

Again, if all of these check off, then the next step is to just get them back into the groove.

Another trick (once you're back up on their back and feel confident about staying in the saddle), is when they throw stuff at you (i.e. spinning, running toward the gate, giving a buck), is in that moment, make them work. For instance, if they run toward the gate, then stop and refuse to move, then make 'all their work' right there at the gate. Then walk them toward the other end of the fence (away from the gate) and then let them just stand there and rest. They'll quickly learn that Gate = Work.
Spinning, just make them spin more, circle, circle, circle until they're tired, then a couple more. Then let them stand. So then they learn that them spinning = they must work a circle. I'd have to say... most horses (arguably) will give up such nonsense after a few times, when it means they'll need to do MORE work when they fight you.
But remember, when they're doing good and well, give them plenty of rests, pets, pats. They let you guide them around the ring one time and don't fight you at all, then stop and let them stand there and stare off into the distance for a few minutes. They give you a perfect circle when you first ask them, then drop the reins and let them wander forward for half a ring or so, or if they kind of stutter to a stop, let them do that.

Horse's learn best with the absence of pressure and work best by 'moving away from' pressure (we teach them to move away from pressure when we ride, but this is also something they taught us when we were first learning, many eons ago). This means that their 'treats' are quite often best when you leave them alone. Of course, actual treats can also help. ;)
So, using this theory, when they're fighting you, then they need to work and when they're not fighting you, then you leave them to stand.

Also... be sure you don't try to barrel race your horse until after he or she is fit again. It's not fair to them to stand all winter and then take them on the barrel racing circuit without any prep and to-get-fit work. And of course, injury, you know.
I'm sure you don't do that, though, but definitely should mention that for anybody that might read it. :D

So, in review.
If your horse is good to roll (no pain, no teeth and good, appropriate tack), then start slow but 'back to work'. When horsie does good, stand and hang out with her or him. When horsie doesn't do good, then work, work, work. And... Don't forget to let horsie stand a few after each work, work, work!

Note: Work, Work, Work can still be as simple as four or five walking circles. The point is a horse that doesn't want to work, is being made to do it.

I hope that gives you a few additional ideas to what's going on and how to deal with it. :mrgreen:
Good Luck and stay safe!
Ok I will definitely do that when this winter weather clears and when my mom gets her horse's teeth floated i will have the dentist look at my horse's teeth to double make sure! :D
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm

PeachRosewing wrote:So. Iv been riding for 3.5 years, and I'm Cantering, a bit of jumping, but no a the Same time.
I have lessons once a week, but my trainers sick, so I haven't ridden for a month.
I ride with my best friend, Mari, and I have for most of the time I've been riding. I'd say she's ride for 4 years, so not much longer than me.
However, recently,we switched barns, or rather, Mari did and I went along with her.
And Mari got really good, really fast. She's now bareback jumping Cantering. And i am maybe Cantering on the easiest horse there. Though I've done that once since we got there. Shes so far ahead!!! How did she get there that quickly? And now I have to stand in the middle while she canters around me. I'm not- well, I am complaining. But we always do competitions, and she always beats me. I don't know, I'm just.... Disappointed? I've got to stop being so controlling and jealous, and just focus on my own thing, so that I will do!
Just try to focus on that you are happy for her and to look how far she has come and people work at their own paces and you probably work a bit slower than others but that doesn't really matter on what pace your on, just as long as you get somewhere. Mari just may work faster and you work a bit slower, thats fine, just learn to be happy for her and learn people work at their own paces on their own time, Ofc i don't really know anything about this because I am a barrel Racer and not a jumper but everybody is different, I hope you have a good day/night and become the best rider you can become!
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm

Iris rock stables wrote:
PeachRosewing wrote:So. Iv been riding for 3.5 years, and I'm Cantering, a bit of jumping, but no a the Same time.
I have lessons once a week, but my trainers sick, so I haven't ridden for a month.
I ride with my best friend, Mari, and I have for most of the time I've been riding. I'd say she's ride for 4 years, so not much longer than me.
However, recently,we switched barns, or rather, Mari did and I went along with her.
And Mari got really good, really fast. She's now bareback jumping Cantering. And i am maybe Cantering on the easiest horse there. Though I've done that once since we got there. Shes so far ahead!!! How did she get there that quickly? And now I have to stand in the middle while she canters around me. I'm not- well, I am complaining. But we always do competitions, and she always beats me. I don't know, I'm just.... Disappointed? I've got to stop being so controlling and jealous, and just focus on my own thing, so that I will do!
Just try to focus on that you are happy for her and to look how far she has come and people work at their own paces and you probably work a bit slower than others but that doesn't really matter on what pace your on, just as long as you get somewhere. Mari just may work faster and you work a bit slower, that's fine (plus your trainer has been out so maybe Mari has been able to get farther ahead in that month), just learn to be happy for her and learn people work at their own paces on their own time, Ofc i don't really know anything about this because I am a barrel Racer and not a jumper but everybody is different, I hope you have a good day/night and become the best rider you can become!
Stable_Of_Champions
Visit My Farm

Post by Stable_Of_Champions »

This is a bit of a sad story but no horses die in it so it's not too sad because it has a very good ending. This is a true story about my mare that is actually related to some of the most famous horses ever, INCLUDING MAN O' WAR, TWICE!!!! Thank you for reading :)

I have a couple horses (Mostly Morgan Horses lol) but I also have an older appendix mare. I have been with her through some of the toughest things in both of our lives and I don't know what I would do without her. She is a gorgeous 15.1hh+ sorrel mare that looks really really young but is 23 lol. She is a rescue. Her last owner loved her and tried to love her so badly but was going through a divorce and was homeless and just couldn't love the mare. She had been neglected for two years outside with no grain or blankets, and her herd absolutely hated her, she needed her own hay bale because the rest of the horses just hated her so much. The first time after the barn owner rescued her I took one look at her broken eyes and knew that that was my mare. I went into the stall she was in and she looked right back at me. I spent some time grooming her over the next little while and just taking care of her and she was starting to put on weight really fast. She also had really really bad had thrush and rain rot (Which she does not have anymore).

So she was a beautiful qh racehorse as a filly before retiring from the track. Her registered name is Morning Time Dash if you want to check her out. After she had three foals all full siblings and then was a FANTASTIC barrel horse. She fell into her last owners hands and was neglected blah blah blah.

I remember out first ride after a month or so of her gaining weight being slow and steady. She wasn't sure what to think. The arn owner described her as calm and preferring trail rider nowadays but boy was she wrong. We did this for a while and before long I got to trot on her, her trot is so cute and bouncy! She picks her little feet up so high and just prances! I am a very experienced barrel racer and started just walking her around barrels. I realized she would start leaning to the left one first and figured out that she is left barrel trained. It's become a way of life for me now lol. I went through some stuff where I didn't think that she had it in her to be a barrel horse anymore and that maybe she really was a pleasure horse, but I didn't lose hope.

She is housed with a bunch of spazzy thoroughbreds that I like to make run. They were galloping one day and all of a sudden my mare, who was peacefully trotting behind them, canters and I run up to her and cry. Her hips needed adjustments before she could do that but she did it anyways. I really had bonded with this horse over the last little while, I have left so many detailts out but she really is just amazing. I remember taking her halter off in the paddock before and waiting for her to join her friends. She kept looking over at them and then at me and I would tell her 'Go play with them' but she always chooses to stay with me.

Before long I get a message from the barn owner asking me to compete with her in barrels this summer! We have been bringing her muscle back really quickly and god is she just an amazing horse. She has grown so much as a horse and the old horse I thought should retire is now whipping around barrels again, she is my unicorn and I love her so so much. She helped me grow as a person. I've cried over her, thinking that I couldn't do it, but she always beleived in me, so it was only fair for me to beleive in her too. I could never give back to her in the way she's given so much to me. I can't even explain how strong the bond is between us. If that isn't a beautiful story, I don't know what is.
Gabby Woodlark
Visit My Farm

Post by Gabby Woodlark »

Thundermare wrote:I have a crippled Quarter Horse named Copenhagen (vet says he's healthy and doing great) and am currently in the process of buying another horse that I will be able to ride and to keep Cope company. Anyways this was when Cope was still at my house (I just moved him to another pasture so he has more room and better grass). He had escaped but it was night so nobody knew he was missing. :roll:

I heard something at my window and I'm paranoid so I thought it was a murderer. I had a taser and everything and was prepared to go crazy when I peeked through the blinds it was Cope, who was licking my window
Oh my word that is so funny! I had that happen with my horse Blinker when her pasture was attached to my side of the house. She decided that night was 'Blinky' night, where she peeks through my window with the brightest glowing eyes I've ever seen.
Scared me half to death.

-Gabbs
Panda-girl9
Visit My Farm

Post by Panda-girl9 »

THIS IS A SHORT STORY.
The Sturdy Horses
Visit My Farm

Post by The Sturdy Horses »

Panda-girl9 wrote:THIS IS A SHORT STORY.
What is?
AthenaShadowcraft
Visit My Farm

Post by AthenaShadowcraft »

Hi, this is gonna be really short, but I have a story.
I was on my lesson horse, Rocketman, and I was trying to pick up the canter, but he was being stubborn. All of a sudden, I lost my stirrup and (my trainer's exact words) the wind took me off the horse. It was the weirdest fall ever. But, of course, I got right back up.
ReelTrebleMaker
Visit My Farm

Post by ReelTrebleMaker »

This was in 2015 I believe, on a I am pretty pretty sure he was 16.3 hh dapple gray gelding named Gray. I was at my best friend's birthday sleepover at her barn with another friend, who had never even seen a horse before then. We ended up barebacking in the field in the morning. She had ridden the day before for probably an hour in the arena with my bestie's mom, my trainer. Well, she was barebacking on Grey with me. Well, as we were maybe 20 feet into the field she starts slipping off. So what does she do? Grabs me despite everyone saying don't grab her, grab the horse. But she grabs me and drags me off with her. Grey kept walking for a while as I tried to get up without dropping his reins. Everyone was fine after this, but it gave us a scare. Looking back it was pretty funny.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am