Community Forum

Getting back into skating

PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Getting back into skating

Post by PeacefulOreo »

So my ice arena took the ice out for a whole month for maintenance and opened back up yesterday. I had my Jr. Club practice yesterday. The coach had all of us go back to the more advanced versions of our basic skills and we worked on spirals too. She didn't have us do any jumps and/or spins because it's been a month since we all had last been on the ice. At first my body was like "What on earth are you doing?!" when I got out on the ice but I eventually got comfortable for the most part with all of the things that weren't jumps and/or spins. We had to share the ice with two hockey players so we just stayed on the one side. It was actually warmer than usual because I ended up taking my jacket off so that for my top part, I only had a tank top and my gloves for protection. I did do some work on my spinning which I'll have to do more work on to get back to where I was a month ago because I nearly fell quite a few times. I didn't do any rotational jumps but I did attempt the bunny hop which my 3 attempts failed miserably because I've lost some of my coordination to do it!

My knee held up for the most part. It did hurt a little bit but I think a little bit of pain is fine because it has been a long time since I've been out on the ice doing things and I went straight from just sitting around to doing a variety of different things out on the ice. So I'll have to work on conditioning/strengthening my knee and other parts of my leg as well as work on my balance.
Alyssa Davis
Visit My Farm

Re: Getting back into skating

Post by Alyssa Davis »

PeacefulOreo wrote:So my ice arena took the ice out for a whole month for maintenance and opened back up yesterday. I had my Jr. Club practice yesterday. The coach had all of us go back to the more advanced versions of our basic skills and we worked on spirals too. She didn't have us do any jumps and/or spins because it's been a month since we all had last been on the ice. At first my body was like "What on earth are you doing?!" when I got out on the ice but I eventually got comfortable for the most part with all of the things that weren't jumps and/or spins. We had to share the ice with two hockey players so we just stayed on the one side. It was actually warmer than usual because I ended up taking my jacket off so that for my top part, I only had a tank top and my gloves for protection. I did do some work on my spinning which I'll have to do more work on to get back to where I was a month ago because I nearly fell quite a few times. I didn't do any rotational jumps but I did attempt the bunny hop which my 3 attempts failed miserably because I've lost some of my coordination to do it!

My knee held up for the most part. It did hurt a little bit but I think a little bit of pain is fine because it has been a long time since I've been out on the ice doing things and I went straight from just sitting around to doing a variety of different things out on the ice. So I'll have to work on conditioning/strengthening my knee and other parts of my leg as well as work on my balance.

Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for you! I know you will find the balance and the strength you need with practice. I'm praying that your practicing goes safely!
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Re: Getting back into skating

Post by PeacefulOreo »

Alyssa Davis wrote:Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for you! I know you will find the balance and the strength you need with practice. I'm praying that your practicing goes safely!
Thanks! :D
Become a Patron!