The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Lets get this Fat Horse Fit! - FHF Journey

RosesDemise
Visit My Farm

Lets get this Fat Horse Fit! - FHF Journey

Post by RosesDemise »

The FHF Journey with yours truely - RosesDemise

Please do not quote this post if you're going to reply! A simple ping will get my attention but I will also be watching this page regularly!

Heya Horsey people! I wanna share a new chapter with my horse that will be lasting for a while, most likely months! But this is honestly something I wanna share and get tips and tricks with from the people of HWO!

So let's get started with an introduction on what this is, who my horse is, and some about me ^^

~The Intro~

Alrighty, let's start with my mare; as she's the basis for this story. My mare as what we were told, is a Thoroughbred, no papers or anything, or I don't think so as we never got any. That we purchased for 25K, she's about 12 and her previous owners tried using her as a brood but she was infertile and didn't take. When we got her she had no name, so I named her Mary after my mother and stepfather's engagement.

We purchased her in early July and back then she wasn't too fat, but she definitely wasn't in shape! Now it's January and since it went from hot summer to cold winter, she hasn't been out riding as much as I would like to.
She's been sitting out in the pasture with pretty much-unlimited hay and small riding for when it's nice out.
So you can imaging she's a big girl from what we normally see as slim fit thoroughbreds!
(I'll Get yall an image of her now and then keep posting images as we go!)
Now the reason I want to get her fit is for health reasons, as in the past I've gone on long trail rides, usually being up to 5-7hrs! And Mary? has trouble with 2hr flat trail rides! Even at that, a small walk with our western saddles tires her out and she trots less and hardly makes efforts to canter.
For me wanting to go out on cattle drives, trail rides, and start getting into jumping later on, that's just a no-go! And I know I need to do something so she's more fit and healthy for that.
As well since that point, I have gotten a lightweight treeless trail saddle that she enjoys much more and that I will be using in the future.
Thus So! After devising a weekly plan regiment, and having my eyes set on this, we're gonna get this big lady back into shape! This will be a months-long trip so buckle up!

~The Plan / Schedule~
This will be a Bi-Weekly Schedule of what I plan on doing every day if you see something wrong or out of place, do let me know!
So, I'm only able to visit her every other week due to family instances, so it would be a week of training to a week of rest for her! That will probably make this longer but it's something I cant change. Other than that training days will start and end on Saturday!
For the rest of this week, it will just be trail rides and on-ground lunge work.
  • Mon- None
    Tue- Lunge 10min, Haltered and Saddled, Walk in Circles/ GroundWork = Lungeing to the left - shes had trouble with going left but she does fine with lungeing right.
    Wed- Lunge 10min, Bridled, Walk and Trot in Circles/ GroundWork = Turning Right using Direct Rein - also troubled
    Thur- Lunge 15min, Bridled and Saddled, Walk and Trot with Ground Poles/ InSeat = Review Backing Up
    Fri- Lunge 15min, Haltered, Trot with Small Jumps/ FlatTrail Ride 1-2hr
    Sat- Lunge 15min, Bridled and Saddled, Walk and Trot in Circles/ Flat rail Ride 1-2hr
    Sun- None
If you have any questions about somethings just ask away and I will most cerntainly reply!
¨One's Demise shall not be bestowed onto their horse's Fate¨
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:45 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:45 am