The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Advice on breeding grinders

~besthorsebreeder~
Visit My Farm

Re: Advice on breeding grinders

Post by ~besthorsebreeder~ »

EclipticEnd wrote:
~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:Edit: also if anyone has any advice on how I would go about picking grinders that would be great, because when buying them I have trouble figuring out how good they will actually be/ what event they will be good at! Tysm :)
I'd say it's not too different from making a competitive line. You'll want high HGP (probably at least 60k) with a lot of colored comments (at least a couple gold and a few more in green, gold Intelligence is always good). Consider conformation as well if you'd like. Decide on a discipline early or grab some random horses and see where they take you.

Different builds will lean towards different disciplines. I'd personally suggest doing a discipline that either favors Bombproof (like Endurance) or High Strung (like Sprint Racing) because you can set the feed to a general number and not have to worry about temperament shifts later in life.

Grab yourself a horse from the market (the younger the better) and either train it or have someone else train it. Test that horse to see what level of local shows it preforms at. If it's below level 9 then sell it. Ideally you want consistent 1st place wins at levels 9 to 10 to maximize earnings.

Get a breeding pair going and you're good. You can work on improving HGP with them if you want by replacing the parents with better foals and training/selling any that don't improve your herd. If you do that then you really only want a single mare and a stallion so that you can mostly keep up with the foals; your breeding stock don't need to be trained, only the foals you plan to sell as grinders.

If you're looking to make money then I'd suggest making a purebred line of one of the more popular breeds; people will pay more for a possible competitive prospect, a possible breeder for their own herds and a good grinder. I'd suggest away from Arabians; they'd be easy since their market baseline is already super high in HGP and they lend themselves well for Endurance which uses the Bombproof temperament, but there's quite a few players who are selling Arabian grinders right now.

Breeds with over 10k horses in the game (excluding Arabians) are: Shetlands, Belgians, Forest Horses, North African Barbs, Thoroughbreds, and Turkmenes. Breeds with between 5k-9,999 horses are: Przewalski Horses, Akhal-Tekes, Friesians, Quarter Horses, and Tarpans.

You can also focus on a rare breed that might interest HWO collectors and, if the population is low enough and you continue to churn out the grinders, you might become a well-known player for that breed. That authenticity can encourage players to buy your horses more often. Players might also spend more on a purebred of a rare breed just to have one or just because the breed's not immediately known to them.

There's quite a few breeds with less than 50 horses in the game right now to choose from in that regard, but since they're so rare you'll likely have to raise their quality yourself. They also won't have well known favorite disciplines (such as Endurance Arabians or Racing Thoroughbreds). It'd be a bit more involved and take much longer than the other option as you'll likely have to find breeders or breed them yourself to get started.
Wow thank you so so much for all of the advice! I’m still not 100 on what I am going to do, but when I do end up doing this I will defo use this as a guide cause I’ve never thought abt doing a grinder line :lol: again, tysm this really does help so much!!!!!!!!!
“Whatever you do, always give 100%. Unless you’re donating blood.” -Bill Murray

Official Stud Page: [closed, being renovated now]

~BHB~
MysticSunflower
Visit My Farm

Post by MysticSunflower »

~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:Hello everyone!
I have taken a recent break and decided to come back online, but I have been looking for a new project. Because I have been looking into training, I have decided I might want to do a grinder project. However, I am not really sure at all what the best things to breed or look out for would be in a grinder! Any expert advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Edit: also if anyone has any advice on how I would go about picking grinders that would be great, because when buying them I have trouble figuring out how good they will actually be/ what event they will be good at! Tysm :)
Hi! You've gotten a lot of good advice here, but I saw IslandHill gave me a shout out so I figured I would give my two cents :)
I have had a lot of success with my grinder line. They are Thoroughbred x Arabians with an HGP over 65,000 and a least 5 green/gold colored comments. I always train to at least 99.1% in all disciplines, but you can get away with 80% if you are competing in level 7 or 8 shows.
Here is an example of the kind of horse I breed for : https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3803674
~besthorsebreeder~
Visit My Farm

Post by ~besthorsebreeder~ »

MysticSunflower wrote:
~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:Hello everyone!
I have taken a recent break and decided to come back online, but I have been looking for a new project. Because I have been looking into training, I have decided I might want to do a grinder project. However, I am not really sure at all what the best things to breed or look out for would be in a grinder! Any expert advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Edit: also if anyone has any advice on how I would go about picking grinders that would be great, because when buying them I have trouble figuring out how good they will actually be/ what event they will be good at! Tysm :)
Hi! You've gotten a lot of good advice here, but I saw IslandHill gave me a shout out so I figured I would give my two cents :)
I have had a lot of success with my grinder line. They are Thoroughbred x Arabians with an HGP over 65,000 and a least 5 green/gold colored comments. I always train to at least 99.1% in all disciplines, but you can get away with 80% if you are competing in level 7 or 8 shows.
Here is an example of the kind of horse I breed for : https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3803674
Tysm! I never quite know what to look out for (as a breeder I like have with strict rules through repetition but this is pretty left field from what I normally do so it’s hard to have a base starting point) so all the advice is super helpful! Thanks for the 5 comments suggestion, because I feel like some horses have like 2 golds and a green and 68k hgp so I never know if that is actually considered good lol. Also that horse is stunning :)
“Whatever you do, always give 100%. Unless you’re donating blood.” -Bill Murray

Official Stud Page: [closed, being renovated now]

~BHB~
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 am