The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

In-Hand Jumping- Empty Discipline?

h a z e l
Visit My Farm

In-Hand Jumping- Empty Discipline?

Post by h a z e l »

I noticed today a lack of entrants in In Hand Jumping Competitions, so I'll be hosting some decent purse competitions for In-Hand Jumping breeders out there... http://www.horseworldonline.net/competi ... r_id=97370 :) (Ignore the level 4 racing lol)
I also plan to try to generate more interest in this small section of the game :D
Hazel

P.S. When you see this Black Oak, perhaps you could give some insight on why In-Hand Jumping isn't very popular and how I can make it more so? :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: In-Hand Jumping- Empty Discipline?

Post by BlackOak2 »

_h a z e l_ wrote:I noticed today a lack of entrants in In Hand Jumping Competitions, so I'll be hosting some decent purse competitions for In-Hand Jumping breeders out there... http://www.horseworldonline.net/competi ... r_id=97370 :) (Ignore the level 4 racing lol)
I also plan to try to generate more interest in this small section of the game :D
Hazel

P.S. When you see this Black Oak, perhaps you could give some insight on why In-Hand Jumping isn't very popular and how I can make it more so? :)
It's likely the height. Pony sized horses that can do in-hands are restricted from a lot of the others, although there is a little bit of overlap... your cutoff for ridden competitions starts at 9.0hh while the cutoff top-end height for in-hand is 9.1hh. And a tall 9.1hh will NOT be able to do in-hands.

Our pony-height breeders are likely only breeding and not competing too much. Although when I cruise through the in-hand competitions, though there are a lot of cheap in-hands that don't get filled, I inevitably find a decent few of higher-purse in-hands that do get filled and run. Of course, I don't cruise the in-hands all that often... all of my comp-horses are too tall. :D

Here's the difference between short competition availability and tall:
Tall = 21 competitions to enter and compete.
Short = 6 competitions.

So it does limit the possibilities a little.

But how to make it more popular? Bring to light (newspaper highlights do help)... higher pots (money incentive always works! :D )... Contests... Having a breeder sell their stock...

If not putting any numerical value into the interest-build, then newsletter and contests might be the way to go. I know we have a few breeders out there... actually, I just finished a recipe quest for a rare breed that I can donate for a contest. She's nothing special, but she could fit the bill. I can also put her on temporary freeze until a decision is made, so she'll remain a newborn. Although her breed is too tall to be an in-hand though... it can still fit the bill for the function otherwise.

Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l »

BlackOak2 wrote:
_h a z e l_ wrote:I noticed today a lack of entrants in In Hand Jumping Competitions, so I'll be hosting some decent purse competitions for In-Hand Jumping breeders out there... http://www.horseworldonline.net/competi ... r_id=97370 :) (Ignore the level 4 racing lol)
Hazel

It's likely the height. Pony sized horses that can do in-hands are restricted from a lot of the others, although there is a little bit of overlap... your cutoff for ridden competitions starts at 9.0hh while the cutoff top-end height for in-hand is 9.1hh. And a tall 9.1hh will NOT be able to do in-hands.

Our pony-height breeders are likely only breeding and not competing too much. Although when I cruise through the in-hand competitions, though there are a lot of cheap in-hands that don't get filled, I inevitably find a decent few of higher-purse in-hands that do get filled and run. Of course, I don't cruise the in-hands all that often... all of my comp-horses are too tall. :D

Short = 6 competitions.

But how to make it more popular? Bring to light (newspaper highlights do help)... higher pots (money incentive always works! :D )... Contests... Having a breeder sell their stock...

If not putting any numerical value into the interest-build, then newsletter and contests might be the way to go. I know we have a few breeders out there... actually, I just finished a recipe quest for a rare breed that I can donate for a contest. She's nothing special, but she could fit the bill. I can also put her on temporary freeze until a decision is made, so she'll remain a newborn. Although her breed is too tall to be an in-hand though... it can still fit the bill for the function otherwise.

Okay I see :) I mean I knew there was a height restriction, but I didn't think it was that much of an issue. I guess it could be though, especially if there isn't a lot of incentive to breed those smaller horses (e.g. higher purse competitions, contests, etc.).
I'll definitely be doing all the things you suggested in order to make them more popular :D
Oh thanks for offering her BlackOak! :D I can definitely host a contest then and offer her as a prize :) She's lovely!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

_h a z e l_ wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Short = 6 competitions.

Okay I see :) I mean I knew there was a height restriction, but I didn't think it was that much of an issue. I guess it could be though, especially if there isn't a lot of incentive to breed those smaller horses (e.g. higher purse competitions, contests, etc.).
I'll definitely be doing all the things you suggested in order to make them more popular :D
Oh thanks for offering her BlackOak! :D I can definitely host a contest then and offer her as a prize :) She's lovely!
She'll be waiting until she's called up.

There is one other I was thinking of selling, but maybe I'll donate that one as well... when I last checked, there was NO population on HWO at all... but I haven't yet made that quest recipe... have to see if that one pops quick or not. I'll update you on that one later. If that one gets donated... we'll have to make a super special contest for it. But again, it's not a breed that's short enough for in-hands either.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l »

BlackOak2 wrote:
_h a z e l_ wrote:

There is one other I was thinking of selling, but maybe I'll donate that one as well... when I last checked, there was NO population on HWO at all... but I haven't yet made that quest recipe... have to see if that one pops quick or not. I'll update you on that one later. If that one gets donated... we'll have to make a super special contest for it. But again, it's not a breed that's short enough for in-hands either.
If it's easier for you I can store her on one of my sides :) I have her as a prize for this contest in case you didn't see it: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 24&t=20489

Oh sweet! :) Yeah I know what you mean... whatever you decide just let me know! :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

_h a z e l_ wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

If it's easier for you I can store her on one of my sides :) I have her as a prize for this contest in case you didn't see it: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 24&t=20489

Oh sweet! :) Yeah I know what you mean... whatever you decide just let me know! :D
I did! I was looking at it early today! :D For some reason, at first I was like 'okay, another popularity-styled contest'... then as I continued to read it, I found myself really liking it for the in-hand style competitions. After all, a LOT of the in-hand competitions have rather diverse and flashy entries. The only thing that would have made it better, is if you height-restricted it! :lol:

And... I think I could change your opinion for horses with near-full spot covering. :lol: My leopard tarpans are quite eye-catching!!!!! :mrgreen:

Yes, please store her on your side, that way you have full control over her, since you're running the contest, that would be the appropriate decision.

She will be ready for pickup when you read this post. :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l »

BlackOak2 wrote:
_h a z e l_ wrote:

I did! I was looking at it early today! :D For some reason, at first I was like 'okay, another popularity-styled contest'... then as I continued to read it, I found myself really liking it for the in-hand style competitions. After all, a LOT of the in-hand competitions have rather diverse and flashy entries. The only thing that would have made it better, is if you height-restricted it! :lol:

And... I think I could change your opinion for horses with near-full spot covering. :lol: My leopard tarpans are quite eye-catching!!!!! :mrgreen:

Yes, please store her on your side, that way you have full control over her, since you're running the contest, that would be the appropriate decision.

She will be ready for pickup when you read this post. :D
I'm glad you liked it! :D

Lol just maybe you'd be able to change my mind ;)

All right sounds good! :)
RenegadePegasus
Visit My Farm

Post by RenegadePegasus »

_h a z e l_ wrote:...
Just from reading this, I think I’m finally going to start up my Przewalski Horse Project. Errr... once I have room. :lol:
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am