The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

The Perfectly Formulated Horse Log

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: The Perfectly Formulated Horse Log

Post by BlackOak2 »

I could recommend breaking the sliding scale in the conformation areas that matter into numbered sections. Such as the middle spot is 3, to the left is 1 and 2 and to the right is 4 and 5. That way it might make a little more sense and be a little more visual for memory than just words.

I'll take your very last foal, 'Mare 1 + Stud 1' as an example, and just the head and neck conformation.
Face Profile 3.5-4
Face Length 2.5
Jowl 3
Neck Length 3.5-4
Then finish with some notes if you feel they're necessary.
Jowl is almost perfect, just slightly to the left of middle. Both face profile and neck length are almost identical in the sliding scale.

It might also make writing up your progress a lot quicker as well.
Looking good. I also connected these in my Quick-Links. Keep going. This is an interesting project.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

Post by RoyalCrownAcres »

ST0RM wrote:
ST0RM wrote: I see you like Quinn to! Is there anything on my farm that interests you? I duno any of the requirements of atonomy so...
i mat be missing something, but I’m a tad confused :lol:
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:I could recommend breaking the sliding scale in the conformation areas that matter into numbered sections. Such as the middle spot is 3, to the left is 1 and 2 and to the right is 4 and 5. That way it might make a little more sense and be a little more visual for memory than just words.

I'll take your very last foal, 'Mare 1 + Stud 1' as an example, and just the head and neck conformation.
Face Profile 3.5-4
Face Length 2.5
Jowl 3
Neck Length 3.5-4
Then finish with some notes if you feel they're necessary.
Jowl is almost perfect, just slightly to the left of middle. Both face profile and neck length are almost identical in the sliding scale.

It might also make writing up your progress a lot quicker as well.
Looking good. I also connected these in my Quick-Links. Keep going. This is an interesting project.
I’ve been trying to find a way to do that! Thanks for that idea! Also, thanks for the interest!
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1546508

He's pony type, so he looks a bit weird, but this is what "perfect" dressage conformation ends up looking like. His face length and profile are slightly off, and his jowl is not correct, but the body is the ideal combo for dressage
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

Argent wrote:https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1546508

He's pony type, so he looks a bit weird, but this is what "perfect" dressage conformation ends up looking like. His face length and profile are slightly off, and his jowl is not correct, but the body is the ideal combo for dressage
Very interesting. Thank you!
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

So I’m working on re-evaluating my current horses and will have them up along with the new breeding pairs no later than this afternoon!
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

Ok so these are the first mares I bought.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2312737
Jowl:
in between -1 and 0, just touching -1
Neck:
-3.5 Perfectly in between -3 and -4
Shoulder angle:
-.5 In between 0 and -1, just slightly closer to -1
point of Shoulder:
-2.5 perfectly in between -2 and -3
Haunch:
.5 exact
Stifle:
.5, slightly more to 0
Build:
-3.5 slightly more towards -4
Movement score in conformation:
Highest score in conformation:
balance, 40
Comments
Really pushing to get the uphill build with this mare. Can use the short neck to even the more common long necks.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2331651
Jowl
In between -3 and -4 just touching -4
Neck
1.5 on the dot
Shoulder Angle
1.5 on the dot
Point of Shoulder
In between -2 and -3 just touching -3
Haunch
In between 0 and 1, slightly more towards 0
Stifle
In between 4 and 5, just a few hairs away from touching 5 :D
Build
.5 on the dot :(
Movement Score in Conformation
Highest Score in Conformation
Movement
Comments
Really need to push for the back set stifle in this one. the shallow jowl can also be enchanted with this one.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2366781
Jowl:
right in between -2 and -3
Neck
2.5 on the dot
Shoulder angle
1.5 on the dot
Point of shoulder
right over -4.5, almost to -5!
Haunch
3.5 on the dot
Stifle
Build
in between -2 and -3, just crossing the line to -3
Movement score in conformation
Highest score in conformation
movement
Comments
Push for Huanch and point of shoulder on this mare! The stifle however, :?
Here is the first foal crop

What does “good/bad increase/decrease mean”?
It is a comparison to the parents. Good increase/decrease means that the horse has improved in that specific area. Bad increase/decrease means the horse has regressed in that specific area. Because 2 of the studs I used are deceased, I will only be comparing to the dam (mother) for these foals

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2368947
Jowl:
-.5 on the dot
bad increase compared to dam
Neck
1.5 on the dot
good decrease compared to dam
Shoulder angle
.5 on the dot
Bad decrease compared to dam
Point of shoulder
-5 *celebration!* 8-)
Good decrease!
Haunch
In between 3 and 4, just touching 3
Bad decrease
Stifle
-.5 on the dot
Very good decrease!
Build
In be tween -2 and -3, just touching -3
Slightly bad decrease
Decrease
Movement
Comments
I am going to try a shard as possible to keep the POS where it is. I am going to work on a flatter hip and maybe a better build with this mare

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/23689
Jowl:
-.5 on the dot
Bad decrease
Neck:
-1.5 on the dot
Good decrease
Shoulder Angle:
2.5 slightly more towards 3
Good increase
Point of Shoulder
In between 0 and -1, just touching -1
Bad decrease
Haunch
.5 on the dot
Same
Stifle
In between -3 and -3, just touching -4
Good decrease
Build
-3.5 on the dot
Slight bad increase
Movement, balance
comments:
Not too impressed. May sell

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2368960
Jowl:
Between -3 and -4 just touching -4
Same
Neck:
.5 exact
Good decrease
Shoulder Angle:
2.5 exact
Good increase
Point of Shoulder
.5 on the dot
Bad increase
Haunch
1.5 exact
Good increase
Stifle
Almost touching -5
Same
Build
1.5 exact
Bad increase
Increase
Movement
comments:
Work on stifle, jowl, maybe shoulder angle, maybe haunch, gotta counter the build
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

It may have made it more difficult for some people to read and understand, but at the same time, those that can follow it, it likely made it much more accurate and easier to comprehend and follow.

I'm in the latter of that group. I found that this new set-up is quite easy to follow. Though you just began and there will likely be many generations before you settle on an end outcome, this should be fairly easy for you to overview your work and see overall progress quickly and accurately.

Keep in mind (if you haven't already) that inbreeding might help in this project, but it also may do as much damage. Between 65% and 85% COI seems to be a sweet spot for maintaining wanted genes at a high rate while breeding new blood in to alter some of the other genes you don't want, but it may also take breeding back to the same horse multiple times to set those new genes. However, you'll likely want a much lower COI so that you can move the conformations much easier.

Good report. Looking forward to your next release. :)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:It may have made it more difficult for some people to read and understand, but at the same time, those that can follow it, it likely made it much more accurate and easier to comprehend and follow.

I'm in the latter of that group. I found that this new set-up is quite easy to follow. Though you just began and there will likely be many generations before you settle on an end outcome, this should be fairly easy for you to overview your work and see overall progress quickly and accurately.

Keep in mind (if you haven't already) that inbreeding might help in this project, but it also may do as much damage. Between 65% and 85% COI seems to be a sweet spot for maintaining wanted genes at a high rate while breeding new blood in to alter some of the other genes you don't want, but it may also take breeding back to the same horse multiple times to set those new genes. However, you'll likely want a much lower COI so that you can move the conformations much easier.

Good report. Looking forward to your next release. :)
I knew not everyone would be able to follow, but I was trying to find something that would be easy for me to understand at a glance. And thanks for the info on COI. I was just about ping you and ask what you thought about it :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

RoyalCrownAcres wrote:
I knew not everyone would be able to follow, but I was trying to find something that would be easy for me to understand at a glance. And thanks for the info on COI. I was just about ping you and ask what you thought about it :lol:
I stalk the forums as you know! :mrgreen:

And actually, you might be surprised, there may be quite a few members of our community that follow your work quite well. As long as they have that example you posted so they have a reference point. But even without it, it wouldn't take much to comprehend if they're familiar with the game.

However, it is more important that it works for you. So keep that in mind more so than the community's understanding.
Once you get a handle on how it works for you, then maybe in the future when you tackle one of the other stats, you can make it a little more reader-friendly, if need be.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 am