The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

HELP! QUESTION FOR THE SHOW JUMPERS!

Sunriver Stables
Visit My Farm

HELP! QUESTION FOR THE SHOW JUMPERS!

Post by Sunriver Stables »

Hey, so I've decided i want to start breeding and competing Show Jumpers. I found a guide that answers all my questions except one. What breed(s) is best for show jumping? And if you have any jumpers or sale please let me know!

Thank you! :)
Thank You!
"A dog may be a man's bestfriend, but the horse wrote history" ~ Unknown

KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: HELP! QUESTION FOR THE SHOW JUMPERS!

Post by KingstonDressage »

Sunriver Stables wrote:Hey, so I've decided i want to start breeding and competing Show Jumpers. I found a guide that answers all my questions except one. What breed(s) is best for show jumping? And if you have any jumpers or sale please let me know!

Hello! As you may already know, any horse thats built as a 'Heavy Horse' will not do well showjumping. However, some horses that are considered 'Light' or 'Very Light' can look like 'Heavy Horses'. For instance, Forest Horses. These horses actually succeed in the eventing side of HWO. Really, any light horse with the right confo and HGP can be a showjumper. When breeding, look for movement golds and such. I'd recommend Forest Horses, Hanoverians, Thoroughbreds, Arabians, and Trakheners. Like I've said before, there really isn't a 'certain' breed, just horses with the right conformation! Hope this helps!
FantasyRanch2
Visit My Farm

Post by FantasyRanch2 »

Sunriver Stables wrote:Hey, so I've decided i want to start breeding and competing Show Jumpers. I found a guide that answers all my questions except one. What breed(s) is best for show jumping? And if you have any jumpers or sale please let me know!

In my books it says Trakheners are used for jumping. Like KD said any light horse will do good and any draft horses will not be as good.

I suggest using a common breed so you can get more of what you want from other people.
But on the other hand using a more uncommon breed you may sell more

I just saw a thing where a player was asking why Arabs aren't being used for as much stuff. So maybe use them. (What's nice with Arabs is there is soooo meany colors)
h0rsey2
Visit My Farm

Post by h0rsey2 »

You can breed any breed to do jumping. Recently, I've seen a lot of Friesian and Trakehners out there.

I am also trying to breed Irish Sport Horses for jumping and disciplines with high balance, if you are interested I can help you start out. I have a few stallions that you can stud to (not only Irish Sport horses but I also have a previous Westephalian RH in show jumping). You definitely want to breed for high balance, since that is the most important stat in show jumping. Currently I am trying to breed my ISHs for SJ and my breeding stock should have more than 40 balance, more than 30 agility, more than 25 strength, and more than 30 speed because those are important stats in show jumping.
Sunriver Stables
Visit My Farm

KingstonDressage wrote:

Hello! As you may already know, any horse thats built as a 'Heavy Horse' will not do well showjumping. However, some horses that are considered 'Light' or 'Very Light' can look like 'Heavy Horses'. For instance, Forest Horses. These horses actually succeed in the eventing side of HWO. Really, any light horse with the right confo and HGP can be a showjumper. When breeding, look for movement golds and such. I'd recommend Forest Horses, Hanoverians, Thoroughbreds, Arabians, and Trakheners. Like I've said before, there really isn't a 'certain' breed, just horses with the right conformation! Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! Also, what is a good HGP for show jumping?
Thank You!

Sunriver Stables
Visit My Farm

h0rsey2 wrote:

You can breed any breed to do jumping. Recently, I've seen a lot of Friesian and Trakehners out there.

I am also trying to breed Irish Sport Horses for jumping and disciplines with high balance, if you are interested I can help you start out. I have a few stallions that you can stud to (not only Irish Sport horses but I also have a previous Westephalian RH in show jumping). You definitely want to breed for high balance, since that is the most important stat in show jumping. Currently I am trying to breed my ISHs for SJ and my breeding stock should have more than 40 balance, more than 30 agility, more than 25 strength, and more than 30 speed because those are important stats in show jumping.
Ok! How much to stud?
Thank You!

Sunriver Stables
Visit My Farm

FantasyRanch2 wrote:

In my books it says Trakheners are used for jumping. Like KD said any light horse will do good and any draft horses will not be as good.

I suggest using a common breed so you can get more of what you want from other people.
But on the other hand using a more uncommon breed you may sell more

I just saw a thing where a player was asking why Arabs aren't being used for as much stuff. So maybe use them. (What's nice with Arabs is there is soooo meany colors)
Thank you! And yes, very many colors! :lol:
Thank You!

h0rsey2
Visit My Farm

Post by h0rsey2 »

Sunriver Stables wrote:
h0rsey2 wrote:

Ok! How much to stud?
300k?

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1063645
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Post by KingstonDressage »

Sunriver Stables wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote:
Thank you so much! Also, what is a good HGP for show jumping?
So, it's not exactly the number total HGP, more of the breeders report and confo. Although, I'd say that any HGP over a 50,000 HGP would do just fine. You could probably get away with anything between 40,000 and 50,000 to be honest though.
Sunriver Stables
Visit My Farm

KingstonDressage wrote:
Sunriver Stables wrote: Thank you so much! Also, what is a good HGP for show jumping?
So, it's not exactly the number total HGP, more of the breeders report and confo. Although, I'd say that any HGP over a 50,000 HGP would do just fine. You could probably get away with anything between 40,000 and 50,000 to be honest though.
Ok! Thanks so much! :D
Thank You!

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:07 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:07 am