Community Forum

Feeding

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
User avatar
~besthorsebreeder~
Premium
Premium
Posts: 854
Joined: July 30th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Visit My Farm

Feeding

Postby ~besthorsebreeder~ » September 20th, 2022, 7:26 pm

Hello!
I have some questions about feeding my Trakehners. I am trying to lower their temps to bombproof while also trying to feed them regularly (meaning I can just set it up and don’t have to adjust it every few turns). Right now I am feeding them 25% Hay, 20% Alfalfa hay, 25% Performance mix, and 30% oats (and they are still poor and spirited/high strung). whenever I’m trying to do this the hay is too much food, but I can never really figure out how to make a good balance without making the temp go up (btw all my horses are in barns so I don’t have grass). I’m sure there is something I’m just not getting here, so if someone could help me that would be great :lol:.
Tysm!!
:)
“Whatever you do, always give 100%. Unless you’re donating blood.” -Bill Murray

____________________________

Official Stud Page: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38203

____________________________

Pronouns: She/Her

RodeoGal807
Posts: 127
Joined: August 1st, 2020, 5:26 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding

Postby RodeoGal807 » September 20th, 2022, 7:45 pm

~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:Hello!
I have some questions about feeding my Trakehners. I am trying to lower their temps to bombproof while also trying to feed them regularly (meaning I can just set it up and don’t have to adjust it every few turns). Right now I am feeding them 25% Hay, 20% Alfalfa hay, 25% Performance mix, and 30% oats (and they are still poor and spirited/high strung). whenever I’m trying to do this the hay is too much food, but I can never really figure out how to make a good balance without making the temp go up (btw all my horses are in barns so I don’t have grass). I’m sure there is something I’m just not getting here, so if someone could help me that would be great :lol:.
Tysm!!
:)

Try 105 or 125% feed, it should go up then once at desired weight drop it back to 100% :]
HS drops to Spirited or more , add more Yellow corn/sugar
Hay= 35 Yellow corn= 65
If you want it lowered feed your horse more Hay/fiber
Yellow corn= 35 Hay= 65

The reason why they are not going to Bombproof is because you are feeding them too much sugar. Feed them on hay/grass and things high in fiber. If the numbers are red, then put them in a pasture with grass ^-^

User avatar
~besthorsebreeder~
Premium
Premium
Posts: 854
Joined: July 30th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding

Postby ~besthorsebreeder~ » September 20th, 2022, 8:45 pm

RodeoGal807 wrote:
~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:Hello!
I have some questions about feeding my Trakehners. I am trying to lower their temps to bombproof while also trying to feed them regularly (meaning I can just set it up and don’t have to adjust it every few turns). Right now I am feeding them 25% Hay, 20% Alfalfa hay, 25% Performance mix, and 30% oats (and they are still poor and spirited/high strung). whenever I’m trying to do this the hay is too much food, but I can never really figure out how to make a good balance without making the temp go up (btw all my horses are in barns so I don’t have grass). I’m sure there is something I’m just not getting here, so if someone could help me that would be great :lol:.
Tysm!!
:)

Try 105 or 125% feed, it should go up then once at desired weight drop it back to 100% :]
HS drops to Spirited or more , add more Yellow corn/sugar
Hay= 35 Yellow corn= 65
If you want it lowered feed your horse more Hay/fiber
Yellow corn= 35 Hay= 65

The reason why they are not going to Bombproof is because you are feeding them too much sugar. Feed them on hay/grass and things high in fiber. If the numbers are red, then put them in a pasture with grass ^-^

Okay I will definatly try that tysm :)
“Whatever you do, always give 100%. Unless you’re donating blood.” -Bill Murray

____________________________

Official Stud Page: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38203

____________________________

Pronouns: She/Her

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Posts: 9465
Joined: January 29th, 2016, 7:41 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding

Postby BlackOak2 » September 21st, 2022, 6:08 pm

~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:Hello!
I have some questions about feeding my Trakehners. I am trying to lower their temps to bombproof while also trying to feed them regularly (meaning I can just set it up and don’t have to adjust it every few turns). Right now I am feeding them 25% Hay, 20% Alfalfa hay, 25% Performance mix, and 30% oats (and they are still poor and spirited/high strung). whenever I’m trying to do this the hay is too much food, but I can never really figure out how to make a good balance without making the temp go up (btw all my horses are in barns so I don’t have grass). I’m sure there is something I’m just not getting here, so if someone could help me that would be great :lol:.
Tysm!!
:)


I had a project going, trying to work on making our horses eat more. Your horses may not be able to eat enough to fulfill what you're trying to do.

Anyway. Hay is fine and dandy, but like you've seen, requires way too much to get anywhere. Try alfalfa cubes. They'll be able to eat more fiber without filling up on other things. If you can manage to eat enough cubes, you can also use weight gain to finish their minimal 100% to maintain weight. But.. you'll need to ensure that weight gain doesn't turn green (horse needs to get too little sugar).

Now, I'm going to take a look at a sample horse of yours. :P

...
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3667960
Well, the one I looked at is preggers... which changes a little, their food intake. 22kg max feed isn't enough, I think, for the recipe I've offered above. But you can still try it.

Usually, I find that you'll need at least 35% cubes (mostly 40% cubes) to get what I offered to work. 30% cubes and 70% weight gain, usually pushes the sugar into the green area or even above it.

You may need to breed them toward being bigger eaters... much bigger eaters... if you want to keep them barn-kept on bombproof all the time, or just breed them bombproof, which would be a much straighter and more permanent trek. Then you won't need to worry about sugar or fiber.

And... if you don't recall. ;) You breed for bigger eating or bombproof temperaments the same way you breed for anything around here. :lol: Cull out those that don't make the cut.

As a last note, the horse will always eat from the top food down. Which is a little backwards, when we want our horses to eat their grains first and then fill up the rest on hay, but... yeah.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Posts: 9465
Joined: January 29th, 2016, 7:41 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding

Postby BlackOak2 » September 21st, 2022, 6:09 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention, that my project failed spectacularly... twice. Unveiling a unique bug I couldn't get around. So I scrapped it.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links

User avatar
~besthorsebreeder~
Premium
Premium
Posts: 854
Joined: July 30th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding

Postby ~besthorsebreeder~ » September 22nd, 2022, 4:10 pm

BlackOak2 wrote:
~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:Hello!
I have some questions about feeding my Trakehners. I am trying to lower their temps to bombproof while also trying to feed them regularly (meaning I can just set it up and don’t have to adjust it every few turns). Right now I am feeding them 25% Hay, 20% Alfalfa hay, 25% Performance mix, and 30% oats (and they are still poor and spirited/high strung). whenever I’m trying to do this the hay is too much food, but I can never really figure out how to make a good balance without making the temp go up (btw all my horses are in barns so I don’t have grass). I’m sure there is something I’m just not getting here, so if someone could help me that would be great :lol:.
Tysm!!
:)


I had a project going, trying to work on making our horses eat more. Your horses may not be able to eat enough to fulfill what you're trying to do.

Anyway. Hay is fine and dandy, but like you've seen, requires way too much to get anywhere. Try alfalfa cubes. They'll be able to eat more fiber without filling up on other things. If you can manage to eat enough cubes, you can also use weight gain to finish their minimal 100% to maintain weight. But.. you'll need to ensure that weight gain doesn't turn green (horse needs to get too little sugar).

Now, I'm going to take a look at a sample horse of yours. :P

...
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3667960
Well, the one I looked at is preggers... which changes a little, their food intake. 22kg max feed isn't enough, I think, for the recipe I've offered above. But you can still try it.

Usually, I find that you'll need at least 35% cubes (mostly 40% cubes) to get what I offered to work. 30% cubes and 70% weight gain, usually pushes the sugar into the green area or even above it.

You may need to breed them toward being bigger eaters... much bigger eaters... if you want to keep them barn-kept on bombproof all the time, or just breed them bombproof, which would be a much straighter and more permanent trek. Then you won't need to worry about sugar or fiber.

And... if you don't recall. ;) You breed for bigger eating or bombproof temperaments the same way you breed for anything around here. :lol: Cull out those that don't make the cut.

As a last note, the horse will always eat from the top food down. Which is a little backwards, when we want our horses to eat their grains first and then fill up the rest on hay, but... yeah.

Tysm this helps so much!!!!! I have always been so bad with feeding :roll:

I think ill probobly start training them to be bigger then (ivee been working on making them taller but i think im ready to move on.) if you think that will help.

Again thank u so much i was so lost :lol:
“Whatever you do, always give 100%. Unless you’re donating blood.” -Bill Murray

____________________________

Official Stud Page: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38203

____________________________

Pronouns: She/Her

User avatar
~besthorsebreeder~
Premium
Premium
Posts: 854
Joined: July 30th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding

Postby ~besthorsebreeder~ » September 22nd, 2022, 4:16 pm

BlackOak2 wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention, that my project failed spectacularly... twice. Unveiling a unique bug I couldn't get around. So I scrapped it.

NOOOOOO :cry:

What are you up to now then?

Besides spreading your vast HWO wisdom that is ;)
“Whatever you do, always give 100%. Unless you’re donating blood.” -Bill Murray

____________________________

Official Stud Page: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38203

____________________________

Pronouns: She/Her

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Posts: 9465
Joined: January 29th, 2016, 7:41 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding

Postby BlackOak2 » September 22nd, 2022, 4:32 pm

~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention, that my project failed spectacularly... twice. Unveiling a unique bug I couldn't get around. So I scrapped it.

NOOOOOO :cry:

What are you up to now then?

Besides spreading your vast HWO wisdom that is ;)


:D
Pangare guide. Well, that and a temporary aging out service. 8-)

By the way, to be clear, it's not bigger horses you need. You just need to favor those horses that eat more kg than others... and those that require less. If you look at your feeding area, those lines that make the bar turn green? You'll want them to slide to the left. Less requirement, means they'll need to eat less to fulfill their needs.

So it's a two-point tackle. Eating more overall kg and green-bar requirements less (slide to the left).

The downside is that these horses don't fully level out their feeding bars and kg requirements until they're five years. Even then, I kept coming across weird hiccups and changes I couldn't account for. Plus, of course, each weight the horse is at, changes the kg amount. So a thin horse will eat differently from a fat horse. :roll:
It's great to know, incredibly irritating to work with. :lol:

My suggestion would be to aim for temperament changes and not so much feeding. It'll be a better and far easier trek. But. :D Your project! :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links

User avatar
~besthorsebreeder~
Premium
Premium
Posts: 854
Joined: July 30th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding

Postby ~besthorsebreeder~ » September 22nd, 2022, 9:46 pm

BlackOak2 wrote:
~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention, that my project failed spectacularly... twice. Unveiling a unique bug I couldn't get around. So I scrapped it.

NOOOOOO :cry:

What are you up to now then?

Besides spreading your vast HWO wisdom that is ;)


:D
Pangare guide. Well, that and a temporary aging out service. 8-)

By the way, to be clear, it's not bigger horses you need. You just need to favor those horses that eat more kg than others... and those that require less. If you look at your feeding area, those lines that make the bar turn green? You'll want them to slide to the left. Less requirement, means they'll need to eat less to fulfill their needs.

So it's a two-point tackle. Eating more overall kg and green-bar requirements less (slide to the left).

The downside is that these horses don't fully level out their feeding bars and kg requirements until they're five years. Even then, I kept coming across weird hiccups and changes I couldn't account for. Plus, of course, each weight the horse is at, changes the kg amount. So a thin horse will eat differently from a fat horse. :roll:
It's great to know, incredibly irritating to work with. :lol:

My suggestion would be to aim for temperament changes and not so much feeding. It'll be a better and far easier trek. But. :D Your project! :mrgreen:

Honestly I have no idea how you know all this stuff :lol:

I think I got most of what you said… focus on breeding horses w/ lower green bars and higher kg intake :)

At least I have a challenge (why I like challenges and then as soon as they go wrong like ha nope… it’s fine hopefully I get this one bc honestly the feed thing annoys me :lol:)
“Whatever you do, always give 100%. Unless you’re donating blood.” -Bill Murray

____________________________

Official Stud Page: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38203

____________________________

Pronouns: She/Her

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Posts: 9465
Joined: January 29th, 2016, 7:41 pm
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding

Postby BlackOak2 » September 23rd, 2022, 4:18 pm

~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:NOOOOOO :cry:

What are you up to now then?

Besides spreading your vast HWO wisdom that is ;)


:D
Pangare guide. Well, that and a temporary aging out service. 8-)

By the way, to be clear, it's not bigger horses you need. You just need to favor those horses that eat more kg than others... and those that require less. If you look at your feeding area, those lines that make the bar turn green? You'll want them to slide to the left. Less requirement, means they'll need to eat less to fulfill their needs.

So it's a two-point tackle. Eating more overall kg and green-bar requirements less (slide to the left).

The downside is that these horses don't fully level out their feeding bars and kg requirements until they're five years. Even then, I kept coming across weird hiccups and changes I couldn't account for. Plus, of course, each weight the horse is at, changes the kg amount. So a thin horse will eat differently from a fat horse. :roll:
It's great to know, incredibly irritating to work with. :lol:

My suggestion would be to aim for temperament changes and not so much feeding. It'll be a better and far easier trek. But. :D Your project! :mrgreen:

Honestly I have no idea how you know all this stuff :lol:

I think I got most of what you said… focus on breeding horses w/ lower green bars and higher kg intake :)

At least I have a challenge (why I like challenges and then as soon as they go wrong like ha nope… it’s fine hopefully I get this one bc honestly the feed thing annoys me :lol:)


Yup! It sounds like you got it.
Good Luck! And in this case, high COI could be the key to making significant advances.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links


Return to “Gameplay Questions & Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Become a Patron!