Community Forum

Greying?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
honeybunny
Visit My Farm

Greying?

Post by honeybunny »

I'm trying to determine if this is a representation of the greying gene or if it's some sort of varnish.
I'm trying to breed out the fading of color beneath the spots in my spotted cob crosses, and a large number of my first gens are presenting it as they age. What is this gene again and what can I breed to maintain clean spots and crisp underlying color.
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2037131
Emlyn
Visit My Farm

Re: Greying?

Post by Emlyn »

honeybunny wrote:I'm trying to determine if this is a representation of the greying gene or if it's some sort of varnish.
I'm trying to breed out the fading of color beneath the spots in my spotted cob crosses, and a large number of my first gens are presenting it as they age. What is this gene again and what can I breed to maintain clean spots and crisp underlying color.
I second-guessed myself!
Looking again your horse does not have a greying gene It's just varnish!

here is an example of a greying gene!

like to be a lady living in the country with lots of horses and dogs.”
― Queen Elizabeth II

honeybunny
Visit My Farm

Post by honeybunny »

Emlyn wrote:
honeybunny wrote:I'm trying to determine if this is a representation of the greying gene or if it's some sort of varnish.
I second-guessed myself!

Thanks! I was 90% sure it wasn't greying as a have a whole line of Arabs who grey out. But these spotties are hard to figure out base colors etc. on sometimes. :lol:
Now to figure out how to breed out the pesky varnish. I've done it before but it's been years. :shock: :lol:
Emlyn
Visit My Farm

Post by Emlyn »

honeybunny wrote:
Emlyn wrote: I second-guessed myself!

Thanks! I was 90% sure it wasn't greying as a have a whole line of Arabs who grey out. But these spotties are hard to figure out base colors etc. on sometimes. :lol:
Now to figure out how to breed out the pesky varnish. I've done it before but it's been years. :shock: :lol:
:lol: Np, I wish you luck!
like to be a lady living in the country with lots of horses and dogs.”
― Queen Elizabeth II

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

honeybunny wrote:
Just some info you might find useful:
If this was grey you would not see the spots coming in on the neck as the grey would affect them as well. Varnishing is what will leave the spots behind.

Also, grey horses are always born with an adult coat rather than a foal coat. If your horse has a foal coat at birth it does not have grey.

As an example, here is a Silver Buckskin Roan foal: (adult horse here)

And here is a foal that is Gray on top of a Silver Buckskin Roan base: (adult horse here)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 am