Community Forum

And now, the what color is my horse forum!

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

And now, the what color is my horse forum!

Post by Nate »

This horse. http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/439

Aptly named Rage Face, because that's what I did when I saw it. I have a VERY UNSETTLING FEELING that I have pearl in my herd and I MISSED IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGH. Someone relieve me of my anguish. Help me figure out this puzzle.

I thought both sire and dam were black champagne roan. Clearly I am WRONG. I think the most likely suspect for pearl is the grand dam Nelly. Chestnut Champagne Pearl Roan perhaps?
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Re: And now, the what color is my horse forum!

Post by larissar »

I love these threads.

Looking closly at Nelly and Puddle the one thing that stands out to me is the colour of skin you csn see on the muzzle. Awfully dark and lacking the freckles typical of champagne. Rage Face has the freckles though. Lovely colour on Rage Face and Puddle though!

Also its hard to tell but I think I can see a tan-ish underside on Puddle so I'm leaning towards either bay or brown instead of black based.
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

So Nelly IS the culprit. I'm starting to think palomino roan and not champagne at all now that you've pointed out the freckles. I will have to look very closely at the schnozzes of my other NARBS now. :ugeek:
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

I've settled on Palomino Pearl for Nelly, and Cream Pearl Champagne for Rage Face. Base color unknown.....
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Something still doesn't add up. Nelly could have only passed either cream or pearl to Puddle, not both. And Puddle could have passed only one as well.

I'm guessing that Ghost is hiding a copy of either Cream or Pearl as well.
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

! By Jove. Pearl is a gene that upsets me deeply. Ghost would have to have a cream gene though. He's champagne and if he had a pearl gene he would look crazy sauce diluted. I still think puddle is black based after close examination. Her face doesn't have the coloration differences of a seal brown and I am pretty sure Nelly doesn't carry any other types of bay. I'll add in the pearl gene on Ghost. I do feel good about my guesses on the other horses. Ghost and Nelly together could have thrown a double cream to give me a heads up though! So inconsiderate.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Single Pearl + Champagne + Black would look nearly identical to Single Cream + Champagne + Black.

Pearl has no effect in single copy unless paired with Cream. So Ghost has a 50/50 chance of hiding either Cream or Pearl.

Crazy sauce is Pearl + Pearl + Champagne or Pearl + Cream + Champagne.

:D
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

I think he's pearl, not cream. Black cream champagnes are more brown and black pearl champagnes are more gray. Ghost is certainly more gray than brown. What do you think?

Edit: after closer examination I have changed my opinion. Ghost looks more cream than pearl to me. Single cream has enough affect on black to give a difference in the type of color, to make the classic champagnes browner than they would have been. Ghost is more of a brown quality than a gray quality (opposite of what I thought before).
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

lol, I actually can't tell either way. Do you have any other foals from him?
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:33 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:33 pm