Community Forum

Horse colours: Names and pictures

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Horse colours: Names and pictures

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cloud 9 Farm wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
She would be considered a 'pseudo-white'.
She is a triple dilute.
Either two creams and champagne, or a cream and a pearl with champagne.
And she also has tobiano (right now, this is the only paint marking that has been released and is responsible for all paints and also face and socks.
And you're also correct, she does appear to also have dapples. So her base color is black with silver.

So her color is silver dapple smoky cream champagne (two creams) or silver dapple smoky cream pearl champagne (one cream & one pearl). If she ever throws a solid color (a bay or chestnut) with a solid horse, then you'll know she hides a pearl rather than a cream.

With the silver dapple stud you have her paired with, she'll likely throw either a smoky black style foal (like her father) or one that looks a little more like her, but darker. There is also a chance that the stud is hiding a cream or pearl gene himself. If that happens, you also have a chance of throwing a lookalike like the dam.
Ooh, this really explains it. Thank you so much! Would you consider this a rare color? Also is there a way to see the dominant and recessive genes listed on each horse?
For a horse direct from the Adoption Centre, yes, it is a bit rare and there may be somebody on HWO that could be looking for one and might spend QUITE a bit of money to acquire it. But those some people might want an AC horse without foals and might not be interested in it with foals. Anyway, yes, an AC horse with your color combination is a bit rare.

There is not yet a way to see the genes on a horse. This is coming at some point to the game. But by seeing visually what a horse's color is and by looking through the pedigree and the foal production of that same horse, we can determine what the horse most likely has and carries. Plus, this game does work on real-style genetics, so if a horse doesn't have a gene, it simply cannot pass it on to offspring, therefore a rare coat color can be genetically passed on to offspring if the breeder takes the time and effort to do so.

On HWO, our coat colors are not random. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cloud 9 Farm wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
She would be considered a 'pseudo-white'.
She is a triple dilute.
Either two creams and champagne, or a cream and a pearl with champagne.
And she also has tobiano (right now, this is the only paint marking that has been released and is responsible for all paints and also face and socks.
And you're also correct, she does appear to also have dapples. So her base color is black with silver.

So her color is silver dapple smoky cream champagne (two creams) or silver dapple smoky cream pearl champagne (one cream & one pearl). If she ever throws a solid color (a bay or chestnut) with a solid horse, then you'll know she hides a pearl rather than a cream.

With the silver dapple stud you have her paired with, she'll likely throw either a smoky black style foal (like her father) or one that looks a little more like her, but darker. There is also a chance that the stud is hiding a cream or pearl gene himself. If that happens, you also have a chance of throwing a lookalike like the dam.
Ooh, this really explains it. Thank you so much! Would you consider this a rare color? Also is there a way to see the dominant and recessive genes listed on each horse?
As another note, you can predetermine what an AC horse does have by viewing the following guide. It's mostly correct, but the areas that aren't correct, are listed in the replies that follow.

http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =13&t=2653
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Cloud 9 Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Cloud 9 Farm »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Cloud 9 Farm wrote:
For a horse direct from the Adoption Centre, yes, it is a bit rare and there may be somebody on HWO that could be looking for one and might spend QUITE a bit of money to acquire it. But those some people might want an AC horse without foals and might not be interested in it with foals. Anyway, yes, an AC horse with your color combination is a bit rare.

There is not yet a way to see the genes on a horse. This is coming at some point to the game. But by seeing visually what a horse's color is and by looking through the pedigree and the foal production of that same horse, we can determine what the horse most likely has and carries. Plus, this game does work on real-style genetics, so if a horse doesn't have a gene, it simply cannot pass it on to offspring, therefore a rare coat color can be genetically passed on to offspring if the breeder takes the time and effort to do so.

On HWO, our coat colors are not random. :mrgreen:
Yes I did know they were connected to their real life counter piece. :) And I see, that makes sense as it is more valuable having never been bred and the genetic line started being "solely the buyer's" all though I do not believe I will sell her, was just wondering. In any case, thank you very much for your explanation. Just to confirm, when you say AC horse you mean Adoption Center horse, correct?
How does one breed to get a similar coat and pattern? Extensive genetics are new to me, as well as the endless variation possibilities. As far as coats and patterns go, despite being a horse person, I am not very well versed on this yet and it seems such a big, easily-lost-in world.
Cloud 9 Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Cloud 9 Farm »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Cloud 9 Farm wrote:
As another note, you can predetermine what an AC horse does have by viewing the following guide. It's mostly correct, but the areas that aren't correct, are listed in the replies that follow.

http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =13&t=2653
What is the craziness going on here?
(Link isn't working) :( Her one colt..
I was very excited for his facial marking at first which is now virtually non existent due to his rapid lightening of color. I thought at first he may have dapples but now I'm not so sure. He is getting so light his markings are indistinct, but if you look at his first foal picture they were recognizable. Very quickly he is just as light as his markings, I'm thinking his markings will end up like the Dam's. Would you call him identical to the Dam or what are the similarities/differences? If you wouldn't mind explaining, of course.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cloud 9 Farm wrote: Yes I did know they were connected to their real life counter piece. :) And I see, that makes sense as it is more valuable having never been bred and the genetic line started being "solely the buyer's" all though I do not believe I will sell her, was just wondering. In any case, thank you very much for your explanation. Just to confirm, when you say AC horse you mean Adoption Center horse, correct?
How does one breed to get a similar coat and pattern? Extensive genetics are new to me, as well as the endless variation possibilities. As far as coats and patterns go, despite being a horse person, I am not very well versed on this yet and it seems such a big, easily-lost-in world.

I was very excited for his facial marking at first which is now virtually non existent due to his rapid lightening of color. I thought at first he may have dapples but now I'm not so sure. He is getting so light his markings are indistinct, but if you look at his first foal picture they were recognizable. Very quickly he is just as light as his markings, I'm thinking his markings will end up like the Dam's. Would you call him identical to the Dam or what are the similarities/differences? If you wouldn't mind explaining, of course.
Not sure why the link isn't working for you, I just tried it, it appears to be working for me. That link is in the "What Color Is My Horse?" forum, it's the "What Color is My Horse? Quick Guide by Ancient Breed" topic. It gives a rundown of the genetic colors each breed of horse that comes out of the adoption centre can have, and simply doesn't list those that the breed Does Not carry.

And yes AC does mean Adoption Centre.

How does one breed to get a similar coat and pattern?

You're right to say similar, because there are patterns coded into HWO that even the same color-coded horse will have different appearances (our admins are wonderful, are they not? :mrgreen: ) Anyway, by knowing what genes your horse has and by inbreeding or by breeding out to a horse with the same or similar genetic color, you can create similar offspring. It sounds simple, and I know you understand this. There are two difficult parts. One is figuring out what your horse's color genetics with your desired color has. The second part, is breeding for it. As a quick rundown to help you understand (or confuse you more).
Chestnut is described as: ee
Black is described as: EE or Ee
Agouti works on top of black, but hides under chestnut, these are: A_ At_ A+_
And as a last wrench into the mechanism, Chestnut is recessive to black.
So a black horse cannot hide agouti, but can be hiding chestnut.
A chestnut horse cannot be hiding black, but can be hiding agouti.
And of course, agouti must be hiding at least one black, but could also carry a single chestnut.

:mrgreen:

By the way, agouti is brown, bay and wild bay.

So to breed foals for the color you want. You'll need to first know what the color gene code is that IS the color you want. Then you'll need to know the predisposition of those genes (recessive, dominant, co-dependent, etc). And finally, you'll need to figure out which horses have what you want and which horses lack it. You can breed a foal with a gene that only one parent has, but you'll need to cull the foals that don't (rehome, sell, otherwise).

Now to touch on patterning. Dappling from silver (and dappling from the graying gene), though has a difference in weight (the heaviness of expression), it doesn't appear to have a difference in the pattern itself. Our other pattern genes DO in fact have differences in pattern (leopard complex for example). So you don't need to bother with breeding for pattern in silver dapple, but you will want to take note of the weight of the pattern. Although I did a study in the silver dapple gene and I turned up different weights from the cryptic (non-appearance) all the way to very obvious, I didn't breed for the weight. It should be linked to parental genetics, but I didn't see it. And it very well could have been that my bloodline just still had all of those different styles and hadn't yet been refined, which is my theory on that. So, breed for the weight in the dappling you want and cull out those that don't make the cut. You'll have to start lighter, accept those that show, but don't have everything you want. As you get further along your bloodline, you'll need to be heavier-handed in your culling. Your object is to breed OUT those genes you don't want.

So eventually (inbreeding doesn't have an impact yet on the game, negative at least), if you want to make carbon-copies, aim to breed your COI somewhere upwards of 85%. You'll still get the out-of-thin-air foal, but mostly they'll be copies of their parents.

So now onward to the foal.
Foals on here are born with a foal coat that blows at 1 year. With the only exception of having the gray gene. The gray gene will express the foal coat (though not all of the rest of the color genes) as a newborn. Foals are also prone to foal pangare that can completely disappear at 1 year, this isn't a cryptic pangare that the horse has, this is a foal pangare that's more of a pseudo-gene. It resembles pangare and is NOT actually pangare.

I do see what you mean. take a look at the lighter areas on him. Especially there on his back, right in front of the point of hip. There I think I very faintly see some dappling, but then again I could just be seeing spots! :lol:

Since we're not sure, we return to the parents colors. They are both black based, with silver. So the foal can't be an agouti foal. But he could be a chestnut. But he appears so close to his mothers color, I'm going to conclude that he's her color.
So what does this mean? It means that your sire is not just a silver dapple, but that he's a smoky silver dapple. He carries a hidden cream (or pearl) gene. By crossing your two horses again, you will come out with foals that appear like this foal and at some point have a darker coat, but is still similarly patterned.

The colt's tobiano patterning however, is more of a combination of both parents. If you continue to breed them together, their foals should be very similar patterned for tobiano.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Cloud 9 Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Cloud 9 Farm »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Cloud 9 Farm wrote: Yes I did know they were connected to their real life counter piece. :) And I see, that makes sense as it is more valuable having never been bred and the genetic line started being "solely the buyer's" all though I do not believe I will sell her, was just wondering. In any case, thank you very much for your explanation. Just to confirm, when you say AC horse you mean Adoption Center horse, correct?

Not sure why the link isn't working for you, I just tried it, it appears to be working for me. That link is in the "What Color Is My Horse?" forum, it's the "What Color is My Horse? Quick Guide by Ancient Breed" topic. It gives a rundown of the genetic colors each breed of horse that comes out of the adoption centre can have, and simply doesn't list those that the breed Does Not carry.

And yes AC does mean Adoption Centre.

How does one breed to get a similar coat and pattern?

You're right to say similar, because there are patterns coded into HWO that even the same color-coded horse will have different appearances (our admins are wonderful, are they not? :mrgreen: ) Anyway, by knowing what genes your horse has and by inbreeding or by breeding out to a horse with the same or similar genetic color, you can create similar offspring. It sounds simple, and I know you understand this. There are two difficult parts. One is figuring out what your horse's color genetics with your desired color has. The second part, is breeding for it. As a quick rundown to help you understand (or confuse you more).
Chestnut is described as: ee
Black is described as: EE or Ee
Agouti works on top of black, but hides under chestnut, these are: A_ At_ A+_
And as a last wrench into the mechanism, Chestnut is recessive to black.
So a black horse cannot hide agouti, but can be hiding chestnut.
A chestnut horse cannot be hiding black, but can be hiding agouti.
And of course, agouti must be hiding at least one black, but could also carry a single chestnut.

:mrgreen:

By the way, agouti is brown, bay and wild bay.

So to breed foals for the color you want. You'll need to first know what the color gene code is that IS the color you want. Then you'll need to know the predisposition of those genes (recessive, dominant, co-dependent, etc). And finally, you'll need to figure out which horses have what you want and which horses lack it. You can breed a foal with a gene that only one parent has, but you'll need to cull the foals that don't (rehome, sell, otherwise).

Now to touch on patterning. Dappling from silver (and dappling from the graying gene), though has a difference in weight (the heaviness of expression), it doesn't appear to have a difference in the pattern itself. Our other pattern genes DO in fact have differences in pattern (leopard complex for example). So you don't need to bother with breeding for pattern in silver dapple, but you will want to take note of the weight of the pattern. Although I did a study in the silver dapple gene and I turned up different weights from the cryptic (non-appearance) all the way to very obvious, I didn't breed for the weight. It should be linked to parental genetics, but I didn't see it. And it very well could have been that my bloodline just still had all of those different styles and hadn't yet been refined, which is my theory on that. So, breed for the weight in the dappling you want and cull out those that don't make the cut. You'll have to start lighter, accept those that show, but don't have everything you want. As you get further along your bloodline, you'll need to be heavier-handed in your culling. Your object is to breed OUT those genes you don't want.

So eventually (inbreeding doesn't have an impact yet on the game, negative at least), if you want to make carbon-copies, aim to breed your COI somewhere upwards of 85%. You'll still get the out-of-thin-air foal, but mostly they'll be copies of their parents.

So now onward to the foal.
Foals on here are born with a foal coat that blows at 1 year. With the only exception of having the gray gene. The gray gene will express the foal coat (though not all of the rest of the color genes) as a newborn. Foals are also prone to foal pangare that can completely disappear at 1 year, this isn't a cryptic pangare that the horse has, this is a foal pangare that's more of a pseudo-gene. It resembles pangare and is NOT actually pangare.

I do see what you mean. take a look at the lighter areas on him. Especially there on his back, right in front of the point of hip. There I think I very faintly see some dappling, but then again I could just be seeing spots! :lol:

Since we're not sure, we return to the parents colors. They are both black based, with silver. So the foal can't be an agouti foal. But he could be a chestnut. But he appears so close to his mothers color, I'm going to conclude that he's her color.
So what does this mean? It means that your sire is not just a silver dapple, but that he's a smoky silver dapple. He carries a hidden cream (or pearl) gene. By crossing your two horses again, you will come out with foals that appear like this foal and at some point have a darker coat, but is still similarly patterned.

The colt's tobiano patterning however, is more of a combination of both parents. If you continue to breed them together, their foals should be very similar patterned for tobiano.
Wow! What a great guide. This really explains a lot. In layman's terms! Lol. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I'd like to keep a low COI but I realize it's not ideal for breeding nearly exact replicas. I would certainly take similar though, as with her foal and his similarities, all though not identical, to keep low COI. I know they're just virtual horses, but inbreeding does not appeal to me in the way that it doesn't in real life either, I would be totally against it and would feel bad for doing such a thing. I once accidentally inbred a Tarpan on HWO, her Sire was an offspring of her Dam. I was going to keep and sell her instead of rehoming as she was absolutely beautiful with an unusual coat and pretty blaze marking, however looking at her every day and knowing I would never breed her, and feeling guilty for my mistake, and also not wanting to sell her and have inbred foals of the Dam going around, in the end I did decide to rehome her. It makes me sad and makes me wonder if I made the right decision, as I still thought about her after she was gone, and I know the little bit of COI she had could have been easily bred out. I guess I wasn't thinking of it at the time. Oh well, you live and you learn, right? :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cloud 9 Farm wrote:
Wow! What a great guide. This really explains a lot. In layman's terms! Lol. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I'd like to keep a low COI but I realize it's not ideal for breeding nearly exact replicas. I would certainly take similar though, as with her foal and his similarities, all though not identical, to keep low COI. I know they're just virtual horses, but inbreeding does not appeal to me in the way that it doesn't in real life either, I would be totally against it and would feel bad for doing such a thing. I once accidentally inbred a Tarpan on HWO, her Sire was an offspring of her Dam. I was going to keep and sell her instead of rehoming as she was absolutely beautiful with an unusual coat and pretty blaze marking, however looking at her every day and knowing I would never breed her, and feeling guilty for my mistake, and also not wanting to sell her and have inbred foals of the Dam going around, in the end I did decide to rehome her. It makes me sad and makes me wonder if I made the right decision, as I still thought about her after she was gone, and I know the little bit of COI she had could have been easily bred out. I guess I wasn't thinking of it at the time. Oh well, you live and you learn, right? :)
First, you're welcome. We have many that would write something out like this. I'm just usually the first to respond. :D Not always, but often. So there are a lot of these guides floating around as answers.

Also, don't forget that inbreeding has a place in real life as well. We do so, to set certain genetics. Line-breeding and breeding back to a cousin or uncle (or likewise) happens regularly in real life and doesn't cause the type of mutations that we fear, for the most part. Even we, humans, have done so in the past. Think about the royalty lines of Europe.

The point is, if done incorrectly, mutations or poor genes will be highlighted instead of highlighting the gene you wanted to focus on.

And you're not the only one on HWO that will be focusing on low COI. Regardless of it not negatively affecting things right now (this is scheduled to be added to the game at some point), there are a lot of us that keep COI in mind. Low COI is generally accepted as being somewhere at or below 25%, some consider it much lower, some a little higher, I take into account the total population on HWO... so for a breed like the American Cream Draft, that has a population of just 181 members, a low COI for me for this breed might be somewhere at or under the 65% mark... but for a breed like arabians, very easily accessible and with a very high population, a low COI for me would indeed by at 10% or less. But like I said, others take a much more heavy look at COI and have a flat limit across the board.

Generally speaking, if you inject an unrelated blood into your line every third or fourth generation, you can easily maintain your bloodline at under 20% COI... as long as you're not breeding siblings together. :D

Your tarpan was likely a bay dun with strong dun striping (also known as primitive dun, primitive stripe, primitive markings or zebra stripes, zebra dun, zebra markings). You should be able to reproduce her without needing to inbreed. AC tarpans generally have a lot of face and leg markings without body patterns from tobiano.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
PlatinumPanda
Visit My Farm

Post by PlatinumPanda »

Hello, I appreciate you writing so much to help others. I was just wondering if it is useful to other players if the colour of the horse is written down? :)
HorzeLover101
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by HorzeLover101 »

Totina wrote: Page information
Can we get an updated version of colors with the new coat patterns and others that are missing the pics in the charting.

Thank you :D
ℬᏟᏕℛ - Black Creek Stables Rescue
Famous Racing Belgian Breeder
Owner Of FIR Club
Legendary Trainer & Comp'er For Players
***14 Days For Pick Up - After That They Will Be Auctioned Off***

Woodbridge87
Visit My Farm

Post by Woodbridge87 »

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2420484

Can anyone tell me what colour this horse is please? New starter and no idea what colour she is even after two days studying the charts :(
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm