Community Forum

What sort of gene is this?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Castle Of Fantasy
Visit My Farm

What sort of gene is this?

Post by Castle Of Fantasy »

[horse=]http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2276224[/horse]

Hopefully this link works?
What is this odd phenomenon appearing in her mane? I see the Sire has it as well. All though not as apparent.

Thanks in advance!
COF
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: What sort of gene is this?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Castle Of Fantasy wrote:[horse=]http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2276224[/horse]

What is this odd phenomenon appearing in her mane? I see the Sire has it as well. All though not as apparent.

Thanks in advance!
COF
You have the right idea for the coding, but didn't use it quite right.
See the following help topic. If it doesn't answer what you need, we'll help you with what you don't understand.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 12&t=18675

Now for your horse. :D
I assume what you're asking about is why her mane went from a dark gray color to an almost white gray color.
First, she is a buckskin with tobinao and leopard.

Leopard complex is responsible for such things like blankets and snowflakes. In this case, what you're seeing is varnish. Leopard varnish bleaches a horse's coat in odd ways. It turns some areas white and some areas black. It also bleaches manes and tails toward the white spectrum and much like the graying gene, has a tendency to override other colors.

Did I cover what your question is?

On the other hand, your dame (the mother) is a silver dapple with tobiano. When silver is paired with black, sometimes what happens is dapples appear on the coat.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Castle Of Fantasy
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:
Castle Of Fantasy wrote:[horse=]http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2276224[/horse]

Thanks in advance!
COF
See the following help topic. If it doesn't answer what you need, we'll help you with what you don't understand.

I assume what you're asking about is why her mane went from a dark gray color to an almost white gray color.

Leopard complex is responsible for such things like blankets and snowflakes. In this case, what you're seeing is varnish. Leopard varnish bleaches a horse's coat in odd ways. It turns some areas white and some areas black. It also bleaches manes and tails toward the white spectrum and much like the graying gene, has a tendency to override other colors.

On the other hand, your dame (the mother) is a silver dapple with tobiano. When silver is paired with black, sometimes what happens is dapples appear on the coat.
Yes, thank you!
Castle Of Fantasy
Visit My Farm

Castle Of Fantasy wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Yes, thank you!
Thank you, I see now she is a silver! I hadn't realized it before, for some reason. Would you call her, something along the lines of, Silver Varnish Buckskin Tobiano Appaloosa?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Castle Of Fantasy wrote:
Castle Of Fantasy wrote:
Yes, thank you!
Thank you, I see now she is a silver! I hadn't realized it before, for some reason. Would you call her, something along the lines of, Silver Varnish Buckskin Tobiano Appaloosa?
Your horse Elixir, I would call a buckskin blanket or a buckskin tobiano blanket. There are some others that might clasify her instead as a buckskin pintoloosa, pintoloosa meaning: having both paint markings and leopard markings.
Elixir, however does NOT have silver. Her mother does. The reason Elixir's mane and tail turned white, is because of the leopard complex gene and not silver.
Her mother, Zelda, I would call a Silver Dapple, or a silver dapple paint. Zelda is a silver on black. When silver pairs with black, the dapples you see on Zelda can (but may not always) appear. It's a silver on black giveaway. :D

If a horse has silver, the mane and tail will be white or grayish in color as a newborn. The only exception to this, is if they're a chestnut base. And of course, the double and triple dilutes can cause some questionable concerns whether a horse has silver or not. :|
Which is why we leave learning the dilutes (champagne, pearl & cream) for last. :lol:

Did I loose you? More questions?
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Castle Of Fantasy
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:
Castle Of Fantasy wrote:
Your horse Elixir, I would call a buckskin blanket or a buckskin tobiano blanket. There are some others that might clasify her instead as a buckskin pintoloosa, pintoloosa meaning: having both paint markings and leopard markings.
Elixir, however does NOT have silver. Her mother does. The reason Elixir's mane and tail turned white, is because of the leopard complex gene and not silver.
Her mother, Zelda, I would call a Silver Dapple, or a silver dapple paint. Zelda is a silver on black. When silver pairs with black, the dapples you see on Zelda can (but may not always) appear. It's a silver on black giveaway. :D

If a horse has silver, the mane and tail will be white or grayish in color as a newborn. The only exception to this, is if they're a chestnut base. And of course, the double and triple dilutes can cause some questionable concerns whether a horse has silver or not. :|
Which is why we leave learning the dilutes (champagne, pearl & cream) for last. :lol:

No questions just listening for now. :) Such an intriguing gene pool it is. Well, just one I suppose, so ultimately you would just call her a Buckskin Blanket or Buckskin Tobiano Blanket, you do not label the "varnish" in such case? How do you know when and what to label? And also how do you know what order to say them in? So much for no questions lol..
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Castle Of Fantasy wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

No questions just listening for now. :) Such an intriguing gene pool it is. Well, just one I suppose, so ultimately you would just call her a Buckskin Blanket or Buckskin Tobiano Blanket, you do not label the "varnish" in such case? How do you know when and what to label? And also how do you know what order to say them in? So much for no questions lol..
For me, the difference is not to classify all the genes, but to 'KISS' or Keep it simple... I won't type the last one. But I think you understand.
Name the color the way it will make you or help you understand what you're looking at.
The varnish, in this case, is a part of the Leopard Complex genes.
The Leopard Complex can be responsible for snowflakes, spots and varnish. So if you like naming all of these things that a horse has, it ends up being a really long color name. So, in my case, I consider it to help define what these horses have.
A horse with a blanket, will almost always also have snowflakes.
And any horse with the Leopard Complex gene will ALWAYS and without question varnish to some extent.
So a horse with a blanket or spotting to some extent, will receive the name blanket, near leopard or false leopard, depending on how much of the body it extends to.
A horse with just snowflakes and no sign of a blanket with be 'with snowflakes'.
And that just leaves the rare instances that you can have the varnish with no blanket or snowflakes at all. In this case, the horse is a 'varnish' as in 'bay varnish'.

As for how you offer then in the label, which order. The general rule that most of us tend to follow is, basic or base color then modifiers and finally dilutes. But again, this isn't always the case. In some instances, you will see the color as just 'Pseudo-White' or 'White Paint'. In both of these cases, they're referring to certain combination of genes to create a specific look. In the case of a 'pseudo' horse, this is a color mimicry, just as it suggest. Pseudo-whites are generally triple dilutes of some form, but not always. And a 'White Paint' is generally a tobiano horse where the tobiano paint genes were bred to take over the entire horse. If bred to a non-painted mate, a half-pattern foal is most likely to be born.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 am