Community Forum

Dun vs Buckskin

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
askeek
Visit My Farm

Dun vs Buckskin

Post by askeek »

Hey everyone! I'm wondering about the colouring of this horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2365871
I'm just learning about colourings and the genetics but my guess would be that he has a bay base with dun since his dam definitely has markings on her legs that I think indicate the dun gene. However, I'm not sure if this is correct as I don't know how to explain the light mane and tail.
FrozenSecret
Visit My Farm

Re: Dun vs Buckskin

Post by FrozenSecret »

hey that is a buckskin, you can tell because the legs,nose, and ears will have black marking on them
askeek
Visit My Farm

Post by askeek »

Beta Wolf wrote:hey that is a buckskin, you can tell because the legs,nose, and ears will have black marking on them
Thanks for the response! If he is a buckskin, what causes his mane to lighter?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

countrygal23 wrote:
Beta Wolf wrote:hey that is a buckskin, you can tell because the legs,nose, and ears will have black marking on them
Just a correction that this horse is actually Silver Buckskin Dun with Tiger Eye (bay + silver + dun + 1x cream + 2x tiger eye). There are a couple of indicators that give him away:

-The yellow body with dark lower legs tells us he is bay with one cream.
-The silvery mane and tail, along with the chocolaty color of the lower legs (rather than black) indicates the silver gene.
-His dun is very light. The indicators include the backs of his ankles just above the fetlocks - there is a slight lightening in color there caused by the dun gene. He also has a very light dorsal stripe, and faint color masking on his body.
-The tiger eye is indicated by the blue of his eyes. His other dilutions won't affect eye color by themselves, so he must be double tiger eye.

Also, just a note that buckskin and dun are not mutually exclusive. You can have both genes on one horse. :)
askeek
Visit My Farm

Post by askeek »

Silverine wrote:
countrygal23 wrote:
Just a correction that this horse is actually Silver Buckskin Dun with Tiger Eye (bay + silver + dun + 1x cream + 2x tiger eye). There are a couple of indicators that give him away:

-The yellow body with dark lower legs tells us he is bay with one cream.
-The silvery mane and tail, along with the chocolaty color of the lower legs (rather than black) indicates the silver gene.
-His dun is very light. The indicators include the backs of his ankles just above the fetlocks - there is a slight lightening in color there caused by the dun gene. He also has a very light dorsal stripe, and faint color masking on his body.
-The tiger eye is indicated by the blue of his eyes. His other dilutions won't affect eye color by themselves, so he must be double tiger eye.

Also, just a note that buckskin and dun are not mutually exclusive. You can have both genes on one horse. :)
Thank you so much for the explanation, this is very helpful!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:16 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:16 pm