Community Forum

I need help here!!!!

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

I need help here!!!!

Post by ST0RM »

Horse

So...
What is his pattern? I don't care about the actual colour but is he a paint or pinto or something else? Also, if I bred https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2501716 to https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2359020 will I get a new pattern 'cause mine are all the same and its quite sad tbh
ST0RM [with a zero]

Proud Breeder of:

Dressage Trakehner's
High quality Belgians
Sable Island ponies
~~~~~~~~~~~
My custom breeding page
My Google Site
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: I need help here!!!!

Post by ST0RM »

[quote="BlackOak2"]...[/BlackOak2]
ST0RM [with a zero]

Proud Breeder of:

Dressage Trakehner's
High quality Belgians
Sable Island ponies
~~~~~~~~~~~
My custom breeding page
My Google Site
spottedleaf10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by spottedleaf10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:ST0RM needs help!
ST0RM wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:...[/BlackOak2]
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by ST0RM »

spottedleaf10 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:ST0RM needs help!
ST0RM wrote:
Wow [ :roll: ] 5 months of pinging and I still can't get it right
ST0RM [with a zero]

Proud Breeder of:

Dressage Trakehner's
High quality Belgians
Sable Island ponies
~~~~~~~~~~~
My custom breeding page
My Google Site
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

ST0RM wrote:
spottedleaf10 wrote:
Wow [ :roll: ] 5 months of pinging and I still can't get it right
I still get the quoting code screwed up from time to time to... so no worries. :D

The pattern of the tobiano is not my strong suit. I can only call it tobiano. :lol:

However... after a brief internet search, I found this site that explains the patterns well... however, I'm unsure whether these are different genes expressing them, or different paint expressions of the same or similar genes.

https://www.equisearch.com/articles/col ... int-horses

But according to that site, I'd just say pinto, or tobiano.

One of the others might be able to give a more appropriate description, Silverine perhaps?

As far as breeding patterns is concerned, it depends on how set the patterns are. The more 'set' they are, the more likely they'll come out regularly. This is also in heavy relation to high COI. The higher the COI, the more you can expect that the same pattern will continue to appear.

You might get a different To pattern with that cross, but the sire's dame has the same pattern that your mare has. There's also a chance of a mixed pattern of the both to appear.

High chance of patterned offspring though.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
ST0RM wrote:
As of this moment, all paint markings on HWO are caused by tobiano. So any socks, blazes, or other white that isn't related to the lp gene will be tobiano. Breeding your own horses together consistently will result in the same paint pattern popping up in your herd. Breeding to the outside stallion would likely increase the variation in the markings in your herd, though you would need to be careful to 'lock' that variation in in the first few generations or it would disappear again.

Paint vs pinto is a nomenclature difference. Paint refers to a breed of horse. Pinto refers to any horse that has white patches on its body.

An easy way to remember the main difference between tobiano and overo is the following:
Tobiano crosses the Topline. If the white crosses the horse's spine at any location, it's tobiano.
Overo is Only on the sides. Overo will not cross the spine.

In real life, tobiano is known for causing high stockings, usually on all four legs, with varied coverage over the rest of the body. The face is usually not white, though blazes are common. If the white extends over the eyes at all the eyes are usually still brown, though they may be wall-eyed. The edges of tobiano markings tend to be smooth, like someone drew them with a marker.

Overo, on the other hand, sticks to the sides of the horse. Horses with the overo patterning are much more likely to have at least one non-white leg. They are also much more likely to have bald faces, and overo patterning will turn the eyes blue if the white crosses the eyes. These patterns also have much more jagged edges, as if someone splattered the horse's side with a gob of paint.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
As of this moment, all paint markings on HWO are caused by tobiano. So any socks, blazes, or other white that isn't related to the lp gene will be tobiano. Breeding your own horses together consistently will result in the same paint pattern popping up in your herd. Breeding to the outside stallion would likely increase the variation in the markings in your herd, though you would need to be careful to 'lock' that variation in in the first few generations or it would disappear again.

Paint vs pinto is a nomenclature difference. Paint refers to a breed of horse. Pinto refers to any horse that has white patches on its body.

An easy way to remember the main difference between tobiano and overo is the following:
Tobiano crosses the Topline. If the white crosses the horse's spine at any location, it's tobiano.
Overo is Only on the sides. Overo will not cross the spine.

In real life, tobiano is known for causing high stockings, usually on all four legs, with varied coverage over the rest of the body. The face is usually not white, though blazes are common. If the white extends over the eyes at all the eyes are usually still brown, though they may be wall-eyed. The edges of tobiano markings tend to be smooth, like someone drew them with a marker.

Overo, on the other hand, sticks to the sides of the horse. Horses with the overo patterning are much more likely to have at least one non-white leg. They are also much more likely to have bald faces, and overo patterning will turn the eyes blue if the white crosses the eyes. These patterns also have much more jagged edges, as if someone splattered the horse's side with a gob of paint.
Brilliant explanation. Though I'm sure you've done so before though. :mrgreen:

I'm adding this to the quicklinks under tobiano so it doesn't get lost.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 09, 2024 4:09 am

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:09 am