Community Forum

Mare and filly colors

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Cottens
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Mare and filly colors

Post by Cottens »

Hi !
I'm a bit lost with those 2 :
Pearl

Luna

I looked at the differents colors charts, but I can't figure if they are Perlino Dun or Silver Bay Pearl Dun or something else.
Also, I think I see a white mark around Luna's eye, but I'm not really sure.

Thank you for your help.
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Mare and filly colors

Post by Caramelapple3 »

Cottens wrote:Hi !
Pearl

Luna

I looked at the differents colors charts, but I can't figure if they are Perlino Dun or Silver Bay Pearl Dun or something else.

Thank you for your help.
I'm no expert, but here's what I think. I don't think they vary dun. Dun causes striping on a horses legs. They both are perlino, so they are bay with two cream genes. (you wouldn't call a horse with two creams bay) Pearl shows when there is also a cream gene or when there are two pearls, and I don't see any pearl. It usually gives the horse a warmer tone than cream would. (Or is it possible for pearl to hide in a double cream coat?) Nor do I see any pearl down the pedigree. They don't have silver. It would show in their names if they did. I believe that whitish mark around Luna's eye is greying. If it is, she will eventually grey out with age. She got it from her sire.

So I think the safest thing to say is that they are just perlino. I don't know much about other combinations of genes. Pearl's dam looks to be some sort of buckskin champagne? Her sire is a buckskin blanket. So she got one cream from both parents. 2 creams + a bay base coat = perlino. (Her parents are also bay based)

Luna's sire seems to be a palomino blanket or palomino dun blanket. She also inherited two creams from her parents. I don't know if dun can hide in a double cream, (which I doubt) but my guess would be that they didn't inherit dun from their parents.

Remember, I'm not an expert on gene combinations. If I got something wrong don't hesitate to correct me, I'm still learning, lol.
h0rsey
Visit My Farm
Location: Anywhere the wind blows (doesn't really matter to meeeeee)
Visit My Farm

Post by h0rsey »

Caramelapple3 wrote:
Pearl

Luna

Thank you for your help.
I'm no expert, but here's what I think. I don't think they vary dun. Dun causes striping on a horses legs. They both are perlino, so they are bay with two cream genes. (you wouldn't call a horse with two creams bay) Pearl shows when there is also a cream gene or when there are two pearls, and I don't see any pearl. It usually gives the horse a warmer tone than cream would. (Or is it possible for pearl to hide in a double cream coat?) Nor do I see any pearl down the pedigree. They don't have silver. It would show in their names if they did. I believe that whitish mark around Luna's eye is greying. If it is, she will eventually grey out with age. She got it from her sire.

So I think the safest thing to say is that they are just perlino. I don't know much about other combinations of genes. Pearl's dam looks to be some sort of buckskin champagne? Her sire is a buckskin blanket. So she got one cream from both parents. 2 creams + a bay base coat = perlino. (Her parents are also bay based)

Luna's sire seems to be a palomino blanket or palomino dun blanket. She also inherited two creams from her parents. I don't know if dun can hide in a double cream, (which I doubt) but my guess would be that they didn't inherit dun from their parents.

Remember, I'm not an expert on gene combinations. If I got something wrong don't hesitate to correct me, I'm still learning, lol.
I agree. I do not think either have the dun gene. Luna's sire is grey, so I'm assuming she got a dominant grey gene from her dad, so she would be a greying perlino, as Pearl would just be perlino (cream + bay) and Luna would be a greying perlino (cream + bay + grey)
Cottens
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

h0rsey wrote:
Caramelapple3 wrote:

I agree. I do not think either have the dun gene. Luna's sire is grey, so I'm assuming she got a dominant grey gene from her dad, so she would be a greying perlino, as Pearl would just be perlino (cream + bay) and Luna would be a greying perlino (cream + bay + grey)
Hi !
Okay, thank you for your help !
I assumed they were dun because dun also cause ear barring, but if they were dun, they should have the dorsal stripe but they don't.
The fact that the legs are so brown also made me lost, because I compared with other images of horses from the game and perlino ones don't show dark legs like that... Also, Pearl gave birth to this filly wich seem to have dun (because there are some leg barring) and I don't think she inherited this from her sire.
Beauty

I think you may be both right, but I really don't understand what is this mess :lol:
And yeah Luna may be a greying, I didn't know the white mark around the eye is the sign of grey ! That's good to know ! (also, I'm not crazy, I knew I was seeing something, but asked my boyfriend and he told me there was nothing :lol: but comparing with her sire, it's pretty obvious now, there is an image of him in his gallery where it's really visible and it has the same shape as Luna's one).

Sorry if my english is broken, don't hesitate to ask if one of my sentence isn't clear ^^" and thank you for your help :D
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Cottens wrote:.
I'd call them both silver perlino, but the other filly kinda is a giveaway that Pearl has dun, even though I don't see it. So that would make Pearl silver perlino dun, and Luna a greying silver perlino (with or without dun, I don't see it, but that doesn't mean it's not there). On a horse this light the grey "goggles" around the eyes are hardly visible, but the fact that she's born into her adult coat already is a sure sign (compare the newborn pictures of both - Pearl is born almost white and gradually settles into her adult colour, while Luna is born already the adult colour which will grey out as she ages).
Caramelapple correctly mentioned that silver would show in their manes, but incorrectly concluded it does not. If they were not silver, their manes and tales would be dark, the same colour as their legs, something like this:

(now that I looked at Alrakis, I am beginning to think they are both much brighter than him, that might actually be indication for dun)
Cottens
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

Tjigra wrote:.
Thanks ! I marked them as Silver Dapple Pearlino Dun and Greying Silver Dapple Pearlino Dun. I'll adjust depending of the foals they will throw ^^
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Caramelapple3 wrote: I'm no expert, but here's what I think. I don't think they vary dun. Dun causes striping on a horses legs.
Dun doesn't always cause leg barring! Also, pearl CANNOT exist in combination with double cream, nor can cream exist in combination with double pearl - this is because cream and pearl exist on the same locus.

Here is one of my duns - he's an apricot dun with a tiger eye. Very faint leg barring but still visible (this is just to demonstrate how cryptic dun can be.)

Link

No leg barring but, given her age, it might show up later.

No leg barring.

(inlcuding img because this horse might end up being deleted
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Pearl

Luna

Thank you for your help.
Pearl is a perlino - maybe with the slightest touch of sooty. Also seems to have silver - so, I would say silver perlino.

Luna is a greying perlino, she might have LP but she's too young to tell - grey on perlino.

PS, a horse carrying the silver gene is only called silver dapple when it's silver+black with no dilutions (unless it's one cream dilution.) So, you get silver dapple (black+silver) and smoky silver dapple (black+silver+cream) otherwise, a horse with silver is just called silver when the gene is expressed (i.e. not on a chestnut base.)
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Caramelapple3 »

Malakai10 wrote:
Caramelapple3 wrote: I'm no expert, but here's what I think. I don't think they vary dun. Dun causes striping on a horses legs.
Dun doesn't always cause leg barring! Also, pearl CANNOT exist in combination with double cream, nor can cream exist in combination with double pearl - this is because cream and pearl exist on the same locus.

Here is one of my duns - he's an apricot dun with a tiger eye. Very faint leg barring but still visible (this is just to demonstrate how cryptic dun can be.)

Link

No leg barring.

I didn't know that! How can you tell if there's dun on a horse in the game without leg barring then? (By the way, the image isn't working)
And also,
Tjigra wrote:I saw what you mean about the silver! I checked a few of my non-silver perlinos and noticed they did have manes the color of their legs.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Caramelapple3 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: Dun doesn't always cause leg barring! Also, pearl CANNOT exist in combination with double cream, nor can cream exist in combination with double pearl - this is because cream and pearl exist on the same locus.

Link

No leg barring.

I didn't know that! How can you tell if there's dun on a horse in the game without leg barring then? (By the way, the image isn't working)
And also,
Tjigra wrote:I saw what you mean about the silver! I checked a few of my non-silver perlinos and noticed they did have manes the color of their legs.
It appears that all horse images end up being deleted...

The most reliable way to tell is the difference in coat. There is always a dorsal stripe, no matter how faint, the coat is also very slightly darker to much darker on the face, legs and belly. Duns also tend to be a distinct colour (depending on combinations). You'll always be able to tell a dun without dilutions and a dunw ith one cream dilution. Pearl duns are easy to spot. Duns with champagne can be a little trickier but still pretty distinct. When you have multiple dilution combinations... sometimes, the only way to tell is by looking at offspring and lineage. Usually, though, the dorsal stripe is enough to give it away.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 3:54 pm

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:54 pm