Community Forum

Color real quick?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Element
Visit My Farm

Re: Color real quick?

Post by Element »

Nazarach wrote:
Her color descriptor is already right :) she is a smoky brown with blanket (or just lp if you want to be more generic)
k thanks
Element
Visit My Farm

Post by Element »

Nazarach wrote:
Her color descriptor is already right :) she is a smoky brown with blanket (or just lp if you want to be more generic)
Is she still the same color now?
Element
Visit My Farm

Post by Element »

Nazarach wrote:
s-soverton wrote:
hmm thank you when will he probably shed it, do you know.
normally at 1 year
whats his color now
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

s-soverton wrote:
whats his color now
Now, thats a handsome little Red Dun with Blanket and Tiger Eyes :D The mealy hid really pretty much his body, so I'm glad he turned out like this :)

The mare is still the same, no obvious signs for dun or mealy (at least I think) there
Element
Visit My Farm

Post by Element »

Nazarach wrote:
s-soverton wrote:
whats his color now
Now, thats a handsome little Red Dun with Blanket and Tiger Eyes :D The mealy hid really pretty much his body, so I'm glad he turned out like this :)

The mare is still the same, no obvious signs for dun or mealy (at least I think) there
Any clue about his leg stripes?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

s-soverton wrote:
Nazarach wrote:

Any clue about his leg stripes?
Leg striping is indicative of dun. :mrgreen:

Take a look at the following study to get more of an understanding on the dun gene:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11515
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Tiger eye red dun snowcap. The difference between snowcap and blanket is that snowcap is homozygous for varnish roan (Lp/Lp) and a blanket is heterozygous for varnish roan (Lp/lp). Blanket spots look... different. Bigger and usually more numerous. Sometimes a bit faded of the edges as if it's a spot within a lighter spot. Look at the sire for comparison.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Nazarach wrote:
Quick correction: lp and blanket are not interchangeable terms.

Lp/Lp (homozygous) and Lp/lp (heterozygous) are genes that cause varnish roan. Varnish roan is the 'on switch' for spotted colourations - spotted patterns will not show up without varnish roan although varnish roan can and will express without the spotted patterns. A varnish roan without a pattern gene can be labeled 'snowflake' - they have anywhere from a few to many white spots and bronze as they age. Varnish roan is dominant.

The two pattern genes are PATN1 and PATN2. As far as I remember, PATN1 is dominant over PATN2 - however, I'm not entirely certain and they could be co-dominant, for all I know.

PATN1 is the pattern gene that causes leopard, near leopard, fewspot and near fewspot. PATN1/- in combination with Lp/lp will cause leopard and near leopard. PATN/- in combination with Lp/Lp causes fewspot and near fewspot.

Leopard:

Near leopard:

Fewspot:

Near fewspot:

PATN2 causes blanket. We generally call markings 'extended blanket' or 'extended snowcap' when the white extends up the back - not quite blanket/snowcap and yet not quite near leopard/fewspot. PATN2 and Lp/Lp causes snowcap and PATN2 with Lp/lp causes blanket.

Blanket:

Snowcap:

Extended blanket:

Extended snowcap:

There are also other genes that control things such as the distribution of white, spot size, spot density, etc.
Element
Visit My Farm

Post by Element »

Malakai10 wrote:
Tiger eye red dun snowcap. The difference between snowcap and blanket is that snowcap is homozygous for varnish roan (Lp/Lp) and a blanket is heterozygous for varnish roan (Lp/lp). Blanket spots look... different. Bigger and usually more numerous. Sometimes a bit faded of the edges as if it's a spot within a lighter spot. Look at the sire for comparison.
Ah ok, thank you :)
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

s-soverton wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: Tiger eye red dun snowcap. The difference between snowcap and blanket is that snowcap is homozygous for varnish roan (Lp/Lp) and a blanket is heterozygous for varnish roan (Lp/lp). Blanket spots look... different. Bigger and usually more numerous. Sometimes a bit faded of the edges as if it's a spot within a lighter spot. Look at the sire for comparison.
Ah ok, thank you :)
No problem
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 am