The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Why are the parents throwing a black tobiano????

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
RoanOak
Visit My Farm

Why are the parents throwing a black tobiano????

Post by RoanOak »

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Why are the parents throwing a black tobiano????

Post by BlackOak2 »

It's because of the parents extension genes.
Sire has an E/e
Dame has an e/e

The sire passed on the E and the dame an e
Plus, the sire did NOT pass on the agouti that produced the bay base (the dame is unknown agouti carrier, but also did not pass any on). Thus resulting in a basic black.

Might not make sense to you though.

So maybe this will.
Chestnut bases (chestnut, palomino, cremello) can produce black and agouti horses when bred to any NON-chestnut-based horses.

Chestnut bases will only produce chestnut bases when bred to other chestnut horses.

Agouti horses (wild bay, bay, brown) can produce black, agouti or chestnut horses when bred to any horse.

Black horses can produce black or chestnut or agouti horses when bred to chestnut horses.
Black horses can produce black or chestnut or agouti horses when bred to agouti horses.

Black horses can only produce black or chestnut horses when bred to black horses.

In your case, you bred an agouti to a chestnut, meaning that you could've produced a black, a chestnut or an agouti (with modifying genes, the cream producing palomino or buckskin).

Does that help any?
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
RoanOak
Visit My Farm

Post by RoanOak »

BlackOak2 wrote:
It's because of the parents extension genes.
Sire has an E/e
Dame has an e/e

The sire passed on the E and the dame an e
Plus, the sire did NOT pass on the agouti that produced the bay base (the dame is unknown agouti carrier, but also did not pass any on). Thus resulting in a basic black.

Might not make sense to you though.

So maybe this will.
Chestnut bases (chestnut, palomino, cremello) can produce black and agouti horses when bred to any NON-chestnut-based horses.

Chestnut bases will only produce chestnut bases when bred to other chestnut horses.

Agouti horses (wild bay, bay, brown) can produce black, agouti or chestnut horses when bred to any horse.

Black horses can produce black or chestnut or agouti horses when bred to chestnut horses.
Black horses can produce black or chestnut or agouti horses when bred to agouti horses.

Black horses can only produce black or chestnut horses when bred to black horses.

In your case, you bred an agouti to a chestnut, meaning that you could've produced a black, a chestnut or an agouti (with modifying genes, the cream producing palomino or buckskin).

Does that help any?
Yes, thanks a lot!!! :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

3026789 - Cremello (double cream on chestnut base) with either pangare or dun. It looks like dun, but I see more evidence of pangare in his line. So he could be passing on either, or even both to his offspring. I'd also suggest even flaxen for him as well... so Flaxen Cremello pintaloosa (tobiano and Lp).

3027496 - this one is still a little young. However, he appears to be a perlino tobiano (double cream on bay base). He may also pull in some of his dame's sootyness and give you quite a uniquely two-toned look, though probably not too strong. Most likely to happen around the 5 year mark.

3027492 - She's a bay tobiano. She may or may not hold onto this pangare she currently has. Parents don't show much, or any, pangare, so she'll likely shed it sometime just before she turns a yearling. She also appears to have a gene known on HWO as 'plume'. This plume gene (similar in appearance, but not the same as the one in real life attributed to the Fjord horses), creates a silvery base to the mane, to the tail and to the lower legs. For more information, check out this link. I have two additional links about Plume in my quick-links, but that link is the first exploration of the gene.

3018355 - Buckskin tobiano. Likely where the previous foal got her Plume from. May have some pangare or dun, the overall coat looks a bit off. I'm not sure about it though. I don't immediately see any offspring with blatant versions of either, so if she's a carrier of either, it's a cryptic version (practically invisible).
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
RoanOak
Visit My Farm

Post by RoanOak »

BlackOak2 wrote:
3026789 - Cremello (double cream on chestnut base) with either pangare or dun. It looks like dun, but I see more evidence of pangare in his line. So he could be passing on either, or even both to his offspring. I'd also suggest even flaxen for him as well... so Flaxen Cremello pintaloosa (tobiano and Lp).

3027496 - this one is still a little young. However, he appears to be a perlino tobiano (double cream on bay base). He may also pull in some of his dame's sootyness and give you quite a uniquely two-toned look, though probably not too strong. Most likely to happen around the 5 year mark.

3027492 - She's a bay tobiano. She may or may not hold onto this pangare she currently has. Parents don't show much, or any, pangare, so she'll likely shed it sometime just before she turns a yearling. She also appears to have a gene known on HWO as 'plume'. This plume gene (similar in appearance, but not the same as the one in real life attributed to the Fjord horses), creates a silvery base to the mane, to the tail and to the lower legs. For more information, check out this link. I have two additional links about Plume in my quick-links, but that link is the first exploration of the gene.

3018355 - Buckskin tobiano. Likely where the previous foal got her Plume from. May have some pangare or dun, the overall coat looks a bit off. I'm not sure about it though. I don't immediately see any offspring with blatant versions of either, so if she's a carrier of either, it's a cryptic version (practically invisible).
Thank you so much I'm learning a lot!!!!! :D
hat creek
Visit My Farm

Post by hat creek »

first one is a cemelleo paint but I can not spell it :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 am