The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

How did I get a roan?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

How did I get a roan?

Post by prplebird20 »

So, I have bred this horse: {}SGH{} Liberty Soot

with this one: SBH Acornpelt

And somehow got this: Unnamed Horse #3146424
. Can someone please explain, and also let me know what color the dam and filly are? Thank you!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: How did I get a roan?

Post by BlackOak2 »

prplebird20 wrote:So, I have bred this horse:
with this one:
And somehow got this: . Can someone please explain, and also let me know what color the dam and filly are? Thank you!
{}SGH{} Liberty Soot is an amber champagne pangare with tiger eye. With static-version of sooty. So that'll be something like: E/- A/- Pg/- Tg/n (plus she has tobiano, as marked by her stocking To/-) The A will be agouti, and that's known in this case as bay, the 'amber'.

SBH Acornpelt is a smoky silver dapple roan and is very clearly tobiano. That's something like: E/- a/a Z/- Cr/- Rn/n To/-

Foal turned out to be a silver amber cream roan with tiger eye. This means she inherited the agouti and tiger eye gene from her mother, the silver, cream and roan genes from her father. Her genes will look something like: E/- A/a Z/n Cr/n Rn/n Tg/n
She doesn't appear to have pangare. Although she doesn't also appear to have any tobiano markings, she could still throw tobiano foals, and perhaps loudly painted like her sire.

Does that clear it up? Any other questions? :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

What is a Static Sooty?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

prplebird20 wrote:What is a Static Sooty?
Sooty generally comes in two variations. One is progressive and the other is static.
Progressive sooty progressively darkens the horse as he or she ages. At some point, it does stop getting darker however, at the 'maximum darkness' that those particular sooty genes have.
Static sooty, on the other hand, usually comes in quickly and aggressively and then suddenly stops. It's usually quite early in life (within the first 3 years for the foal) and is suddenly just 'there'. They don't darken the horse slowly over time.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:03 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:03 am