The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Please help me with these color questions!

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
bestleopardbreeders
Visit My Farm

Please help me with these color questions!

Post by bestleopardbreeders »

Heyyy, this is bestleopardbreeders, EMHAL, and Emily6767. I have a few questions disregarding colors/variations and If you know the answer feel free to post below!

1. Could someone please post below horses with pangare? I’m looking for an example of color change from bottom to top and top to bottom. Note: Pangare is when a color of a horse fades to another color usually to white or a lighter color.

2. Another question: Could someone please post a photo of a horse with dapples and also include the color of the horse? (Please no sooty dapples) I also would like to know what kinds of dapples there are, and the different variations of dapples

3. How do you determine leopards? For example, what are the different types of leopards. Please post below links if you have any. Note: Include the color in the “color” box.

4. How do you tell if a horse is champagne? (Pleaser use links as examples)
5. What is this base coat color?
Perky Melody

I keep getting this base coat and I get dapples with it too. ^^

[Forward Shadow]

6. What is the color of this horse? ^^
HappyEquestrian
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Please help me with these color questions!

Post by HappyEquestrian »

Forward Shadow is a cremello, I'm pretty sure. Not sure what Perky Melody is. idk what you mean by 'color' maybe cause im pretty new here, but normally when I say 'color' I mean the coat type (like chestnut, bay, roan, dun, that kind of stuff), or do you mean the literal color (like purple or orange)?
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

1. Could someone please post below horses with pangare? I’m looking for an example of color change from bottom to top and top to bottom. Note: Pangare is when a color of a horse fades to another color usually to white or a lighter color.
The AC is a great place to look for horses with pangare. Belgians have it fairly heavy. I bred some super heavy pangare horses a while back; got to the point where they looked like they were a different color entirely :lol:

2. Another question: Could someone please post a photo of a horse with dapples and also include the color of the horse? (Please no sooty dapples) I also would like to know what kinds of dapples there are, and the different variations of dapples
I think the only dapples that are not caused by sooty are the dapples on silver black (silver dapple) horses. Though I have seen some on what appear to be chestnut/pearl coats- I'm not sure what causes those.

3. How do you determine leopards? For example, what are the different types of leopards. Please post below links if you have any. Note: Include the color in the “color” box.
HWO technically has four different appaloosa genes.
The first is lp (the appaloosa expression itself). Het lp (lp/n) means that if a horse has the correct pattern gene, they will express patterning with larger spots and less white. Homo lp (lp/lp) means that a horse will have smaller spots and more white. Think leopard vs. fewspot, or snowcap vs. spotted blanket. You can google those as well.
HWO doesn't have the separate pattern genes, but instead has one gene that controls whether a horse actually has a blanket (and also seems to control the size of said blanket). There is no visible difference between a horse with one copy of this gene and a horse with two.
HWO has a SEPARATE gene that controls snowflake expression. Again, I don't think there's a difference between one and two copies of this gene. Snowflake appears as small white dots anywhere on the body, and generally shows up around a year of age, or when the adult coat grows in.
And lastly, varnish. Varnish appears to be tied directly to lp expression, and I've had it appear even on horses that didn't seem to express appaloosa in any other form. Varnish will change a horse's color over time (similar to greying coats).

All champagne horses have dark speckles on their muzzle and around their eyes.
Ex. this horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3465259

Pretty sure that it's chestnut with pearl (possibly cream dilute as well?)

6. What is the color of this horse?
Looks to be cremello with homo lp.
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Iris Rock Stables »

bestleopardbreeders wrote:Heyyy, this is bestleopardbreeders, EMHAL, and Emily6767. I have a few questions disregarding colors/variations and If you know the answer feel free to post below!

Perky Melody

I keep getting this base coat and I get dapples with it too. ^^

[Forward Shadow]

6. What is the color of this horse? ^^
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3415214 Hope this helps, She was a chestnut spotted and then she turned into a white/fleabitten kind of color
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:22 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:22 am