The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

interesting color :)

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ooboob
Visit My Farm

interesting color :)

Post by ooboob »

Hiya! This filly has an interesting color on her, I always check the guides for color help when i need it but i haven't seen this one, though i may have missed it. i'm thinking some sort of dun because of the legs but i'm not sure. any input helps, thanks a bunch! :lol:

Lychee
You, sir, are a fish. ~ Arthur Morgan
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: interesting color :)

Post by BlackOak2 »

ooboob wrote:Hiya! This filly has an interesting color on her, I always check the guides for color help when i need it but i haven't seen this one, though i may have missed it. i'm thinking some sort of dun because of the legs but i'm not sure. any input helps, thanks a bunch! :lol:
It appears you have a 'Pink'.
:D
In this case, the 'original pink', the pangare and dun kind. Although... the pangare is quite uniform and barely appears expressed. But that face is too bleached from nose to ears to not have pangare, whereas dun will color the cheek, but not the whole face.
If what I seen is correct, the pangare appears to have (at least) come through, on the dame's side.

Very pretty rendition! 8-)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
ooboob
Visit My Farm

Post by ooboob »

BlackOak2 wrote:
ooboob wrote:Hiya! This filly has an interesting color on her, I always check the guides for color help when i need it but i haven't seen this one, though i may have missed it. i'm thinking some sort of dun because of the legs but i'm not sure. any input helps, thanks a bunch! :lol:
In this case, the 'original pink', the pangare and dun kind. Although... the pangare is quite uniform and barely appears expressed. But that face is too bleached from nose to ears to not have pangare, whereas dun will color the cheek, but not the whole face.
If what I seen is correct, the pangare appears to have (at least) come through, on the dame's side.

pangare is super difficult for me to see, it's definitely something i don't understand much about. pink is a new color for me, so excited for that! Thanks a bunch for the help!! :D
You, sir, are a fish. ~ Arthur Morgan
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

ooboob wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

pangare is super difficult for me to see, it's definitely something i don't understand much about. pink is a new color for me, so excited for that! Thanks a bunch for the help!! :D
Just to be clear, 'Pink' is a HWO slang word for a color combination that makes the horses appear pink-in-color. Pink doesn't actually exist in real-life horses or even in general horse vernacular.

So you have some additional information on 'Pink'... Both dun only and dun & pangare combinations can come out looking like pink horses. The trick is to have an extremely strong version of dun or also pangare to make them come out this color.
This combination can make a pink horse from both chestnuts and bays. But browns and (kind of obviously) blacks, lack the light enough coloration (and red body hairs) to show this 'Pink' color (at least from this particular color combination. I'd have to go back to my earlier notes to see if any other combination can create a 'Pink' from a brown or a black). :D

As for pangare... think of dun, how it lightens the coat all over. Now imagine the dun is coming up from the stomach and legs of the horse instead of an all-over body mask, like you have a light shining from directly underneath of the horse. This is [basically] pangare. Pangare will affect the nose and around the eyes (kind of like the gray-goggles of early graying horses). Pangare also bleaches the flank area, the little flap of skin right there in front of the horse's rear leg, along it's stomach. Maybe these hints will help you see pangare.

But... pangare, like some other genes, also appears to have a cryptic version. So... yeah... looking forward to when we can gene-test these horses. ;)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Mini Horse Breeder
Visit My Farm

Post by Mini Horse Breeder »

Lychee

I know this is from last year, but I saw this and wanted to say how pretty that horse is! Its almost like a Strawberry Roan, but without the roan! XD
horsegirl008
Visit My Farm

Post by horsegirl008 »

Mini Horse Breeder wrote:

Lychee
I know this is from last year, but I saw this and wanted to say how pretty that horse is! Its almost like a Strawberry Roan, but without the roan! XD
She is gorgeous! She really is pink, and stayed pink :o
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 am