Community Forum

Question About Dapples

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Callen
Visit My Farm

Question About Dapples

Post by Callen »

I did some research and indeed found a guide focused on the topic of dapples. Though I read the entire guide, there were spots (pun intended) I couldn't quite wrap my head around. So, here I am, asking a dapple question.

Take, for instance, Forest Horses, and their usual darkening sooty coloring. Without tampering with the lines at all, keeping it private and without any access to the public, would there be a way to naturally introduce dapples? Say, I have two sooty Forest Horses, one a mare and one a stallion. If they were bred together, could a dappled foal show up?

The reason I am asking is that I'm thinking about adding dapples to my sooty herd. To give them some extra spice, y'know? :P

Cheers! :mrgreen:
~ Callen
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Question About Dapples

Post by BlackOak2 »

Callen wrote:I did some research and indeed found a guide focused on the topic of dapples. Though I read the entire guide, there were spots (pun intended) I couldn't quite wrap my head around. So, here I am, asking a dapple question.

Take, for instance, Forest Horses, and their usual darkening sooty coloring. Without tampering with the lines at all, keeping it private and without any access to the public, would there be a way to naturally introduce dapples? Say, I have two sooty Forest Horses, one a mare and one a stallion. If they were bred together, could a dappled foal show up?

The reason I am asking is that I'm thinking about adding dapples to my sooty herd. To give them some extra spice, y'know? :P

~ Callen
Yes... but with an IF
Yes, IF the forest horse is the single AC breed with the hidden sooty dapple switch genes.

The hidden dappling switch I think was found to be in turkmenes. So the direct answer to your question, is No, you would need to find an AC turkmene already proven with the switch or pick one up and hope it's introducing the appropriate genes into your herd.

I'm currently without my notes (my PC is having a 'heart' transplant :lol: ) so I can't tell you what my personal notes suggest (whether I have any confirmation on turks being the hidden switch breed). However, hints can be found in one of our first sooty dapple breeders, Arctictea's replies in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9466

Otherwise, take a look at the AC turks and scroll through them. I do believe you can occasionally and rarely pull one with dapples already present (though very gently expressed). That would confirm what I just told you. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Callen
Visit My Farm

Post by Callen »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Callen wrote:I did some research and indeed found a guide focused on the topic of dapples. Though I read the entire guide, there were spots (pun intended) I couldn't quite wrap my head around. So, here I am, asking a dapple question.

~ Callen
Yes... but with an IF
Yes, IF the forest horse is the single AC breed with the hidden sooty dapple switch genes.

The hidden dappling switch I think was found to be in turkmenes. So the direct answer to your question, is No, you would need to find an AC turkmene already proven with the switch or pick one up and hope it's introducing the appropriate genes into your herd.

I'm currently without my notes (my PC is having a 'heart' transplant :lol: ) so I can't tell you what my personal notes suggest (whether I have any confirmation on turks being the hidden switch breed). However, hints can be found in one of our first sooty dapple breeders, Arctictea's replies in this topic:

Otherwise, take a look at the AC turks and scroll through them. I do believe you can occasionally and rarely pull one with dapples already present (though very gently expressed). That would confirm what I just told you. :mrgreen:
Thank you! I picked up some sooty Turks for testing.

I also found this beauty:

Is this a glitch coloring?

I'm not sure if she has a glitched mane and tail or if it is an overly expressed coloring of some sort.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Callen wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Yes... but with an IF

Thank you! I picked up some sooty Turks for testing.

I'm not sure if she has a glitched mane and tail or if it is an overly expressed coloring of some sort.
:lol: Good name. :D

We can get silver coloring this brightly expressed on some of our horses, usually only through breeding though. But I don't immediately recall silver being in the AC turks... So, although it's rare in AC breeds, I'm going to say this turk is a palomino and not a bay at all. But that doesn't mean she doesn't carry the genes you're looking for. In fact (you may already be aware), sooty dapples are visually stronger on horse colors like buckskin and palomino.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Callen
Visit My Farm

Post by Callen »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Callen wrote: Thank you! I picked up some sooty Turks for testing.

:lol: Good name. :D

We can get silver coloring this brightly expressed on some of our horses, usually only through breeding though. But I don't immediately recall silver being in the AC turks... So, although it's rare in AC breeds, I'm going to say this turk is a palomino and not a bay at all. But that doesn't mean she doesn't carry the genes you're looking for. In fact (you may already be aware), sooty dapples are visually stronger on horse colors like buckskin and palomino.
That's quite interesting! I have never seen her coloring before so I assumed that the very bright white in her mane and tail against the darker coat signified either a glitch or a rare coat. So thank you for correcting me! :mrgreen:
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 pm