The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Looking for a Colour Confirmation for two Spotted Horses

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Twisted_Briar
Visit My Farm

Looking for a Colour Confirmation for two Spotted Horses

Post by Twisted_Briar »

Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Re: Looking for a Colour Confirmation for two Spotted Horses

Post by Veterinarian »

Twisted_Briar wrote:https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3703414
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3705165

Can't quite figure this one out. It'd be great if someone could help :D
Not an expert !
Both of them seem to have the same coat colour. The base coat is chestnut and then you have varnish roan and leopard patterns on top of that. I can also spot some snowflakes and I believe that they have the dun gene (the leopard gene makes it a bit difficult to see).

So they are leopard chestnut duns with snowflakes and varnish roan.

There's also a high chance that your horses are carriers of the Agouti gene (based on their sire as well as the day's sire). That means that if you breed them to horses that have a dominant extension gene (all variations of black, brown and bay) you could get a bay as a result.
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

The last one has a little less white on it
Twisted_Briar
Visit My Farm

Post by Twisted_Briar »

Veterinarian wrote:
Twisted_Briar wrote:https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3703414
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3705165

Can't quite figure this one out. It'd be great if someone could help :D
Not an expert !
Both of them seem to have the same coat colour. The base coat is chestnut and then you have varnish roan and leopard patterns on top of that. I can also spot some snowflakes and I believe that they have the dun gene (the leopard gene makes it a bit difficult to see).

So they are leopard chestnut duns with snowflakes and varnish roan.

There's also a high chance that your horses are carriers of the Agouti gene (based on their sire as well as the day's sire). That means that if you breed them to horses that have a dominant extension gene (all variations of black, brown and bay) you could get a bay as a result.

This is very helpful! Thank you so much :D
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Ooo, fullblooded siblings. The sire's a Bay Leopard Tobiano, het for Agouti. The Dam's a Red Dun Blanket, not sure how much Agouti but possibly one gene if not more or less, het for Dun. Neither foal got Extension so we don't know their status on that, but like Veterinarian said you can breed them to a homozygous Black horse and if you get any Bays you'll have your answer.

Alrighty, Bloodmoon is a Varnished Chestnut Leopard. I don't see any indication of Dun on him; there's no tonal shading and the color's a vibrant Chestnut rather than a diluted tan. He has two Tiger Eye genes which are what's making his eyes colorful; a horse must have two of those for them to be visible as it's a recessive trait (unless the horse is a Champagne dilution in which only one's needed). This means he's guaranteed to always pass down one gene.

Sugarcoat is a Varnished Red Dun Leopard. You'll notice a difference between her and Bloodmoon at the 2.46 years old photo in her gallery. That's an example of Dun tonal shading where the legs and nose are darker and the body and rest of the face are lighter. She's a very lovely Dun as well; I've had a lot of experience with Red Duns going into a monochrome silver shade due to Varnish, but she's keeping her coloration. Her Varnish is not as intense as Bloodmoon's since she's younger. She too has two Tiger Eye genes.

You don't necessarily have to add the "Varnished" in the color names if you don't want to; most, if not all horses with the LP gene tend to Varnish in this game so it can be considered a given. Same with Snowflakes; if there's Blanket/Leopard or Snowcap/Fewspot then it's very likely that there's also snowflakes. You also don't have to add Tiger Eyes to the color name as they're pretty obvious. You can therefore write the colors as Chestnut Leopard and Red Dun Leopard if you'd like.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 am