Community Forum

ISO: Semi-trained Horse

Post your horse for sale or horses you are looking to purchase
ToiletWater13
Visit My Farm

ISO: Semi-trained Horse

Post by ToiletWater13 »

Hello!

I am looking to purchase a horse or two. I've been searching for some that are trained and already competitive, but a lot of them are out of my price range, so I figured I'd make a post and see if I could find a way to meet in the middle. My current breeding project isn't about being competitive, as yet, but I do need some horses on my farm that are profitable to keep so I have enough horseworld money to keep the program going.

I am most comfortable spending up to $30k, although I might be able to push up to $50k for a really good deal. A fully trained horse would obvs cost me more than that, but maybe a semi-trained horse could fall into my price range. Hoping for a horse that's got around 30-50% stamina training and has a decent chance at earning a title in a show area. I might also be willing to offer up one of my farm horses to offset some of the cost, depending on which horse you're interested in and how much you would value them at.

The breed of the horse isn't super important, but it would be slightly preferable if they could participate in the breeding program. Tarpans, Shetland Ponies, Mongolians, Przkowalski Horses, and Grade Horses are the breeds I'm currently working with. Mixed breeds are fine, though for my breeding program I am looking especially for high body size stats (60%+).

Mares are preferable over Stallions, but I won't throw away a Stallion offer.

Prefer horses over 4 and under 12, since they can retire as early as age 15 and I would like, but again- I'll still consider an offer without it, depending on other circumstances.

Thanks in advance for considering an offer.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: ISO: Semi-trained Horse

Post by EclipticEnd »

ToiletWater13 wrote:I am most comfortable spending up to $30k, although I might be able to push up to $50k for a really good deal. A fully trained horse would obvs cost me more than that, but maybe a semi-trained horse could fall into my price range.
I've actually just reopened my training forum. If you don't mind me taking a week or two to train a horse then I'd be happy to do so. My training estimate is between $25,000 and $41,000+; I have it set up somewhat like an all you can eat buffet where you choose what you'd like and only pay for what you need. It should be flexible for your budget. I'm only taking a few horses right now since I'm pretty busy IRL, but I'd love to help out!

If you'd rather not pay for training then I'll keep this in mind when I next do a farm cleanup; I wouldn't be surprised if I have some partially trained foals floating about in stasis right now. That'd probably happen sometime late June though.

If all else fails then I'd happily train some of my horses that I've been trying to get rid of. I see you've listed Tarpans and Grades, both of which I have some groups of that I've cancelled a project for. If any of those catch your eye then I'd be happy to figure something out.
ToiletWater13
Visit My Farm

Post by ToiletWater13 »

EclipticEnd wrote:
ToiletWater13 wrote:I am most comfortable spending up to $30k, although I might be able to push up to $50k for a really good deal. A fully trained horse would obvs cost me more than that, but maybe a semi-trained horse could fall into my price range.
I've actually just reopened my training forum. If you don't mind me taking a week or two to train a horse then I'd be happy to do so. My training estimate is between $25,000 and $41,000+; I have it set up somewhat like an all you can eat buffet where you choose what you'd like and only pay for what you need. It should be flexible for your budget. I'm only taking a few horses right now since I'm pretty busy IRL, but I'd love to help out!

If you'd rather not pay for training then I'll keep this in mind when I next do a farm cleanup; I wouldn't be surprised if I have some partially trained foals floating about in stasis right now. That'd probably happen sometime late June though.

If all else fails then I'd happily train some of my horses that I've been trying to get rid of. I see you've listed Tarpans and Grades, both of which I have some groups of that I've cancelled a project for. If any of those catch your eye then I'd be happy to figure something out.
Hey there! I checked out your horses and saw a couple of them I would be especially interested in adding to my program. https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3665005 https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3665065 and
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3677639

I also have some horses I would be willing to part with for a week or two to get fully trained. I have a pasture dedicated to competition training. However, I've been on and off this game a lot, and I haven't been able to figure out a whole lot about sizing up a horseworldonline horse in terms of competition. In other words, I don't really know if fully training all the horses in my competition area will get me where I'm trying to go, or even necessarily what discipline they'd be best at. If you would be willing and able to help me out with that, I'd definitely be into it.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

ToiletWater13 wrote:Hey there! I checked out your horses and saw a couple of them I would be especially interested in adding to my program. https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3665005 https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3665065 and

I also have some horses I would be willing to part with for a week or two to get fully trained. I have a pasture dedicated to competition training. However, I've been on and off this game a lot, and I haven't been able to figure out a whole lot about sizing up a horseworldonline horse in terms of competition. In other words, I don't really know if fully training all the horses in my competition area will get me where I'm trying to go, or even necessarily what discipline they'd be best at. If you would be willing and able to help me out with that, I'd definitely be into it.
Certainly! I'm working on getting some horses sold on that account so it might take a bit for me to put them up for offers. I'll let you know when they're up though.

If you're working on competitive horses then it'll depend on your goals. Most horses can get a title even if they're AC born so long as you're persistent. If you're moreso looking at record breaking then that's a bit of a lengthier process.

From what I know, training a horse will just make it more likely to get it's best score, not necessarily make it more skilled (if that makes sense). As a vague example, if your horse has potential to score between 1-10 with no training, with training it'll be more likely to score from 6-10. Training itself won't change the best number, just make it more likely to achieve that number. Temperament, height and weight changes will alter the numbers which do tend to occur as the horse ages during training. Height will eventually stop changing at 5 years of age.

I'd say that training horses isn't necessary if you're still working to breed and improve them. It's good to do it every once in a while to see where they're at in ability and heart as well as a proof of competitive ability for you line, but it's not necessary for every horse unless you're trying to do some record breaking. It could be interesting training one and entering maybe a page of competitions for each discipline to see what happens, but that's also not necessary. If you have a ton of studs and aren't sure which to use then it could certainly be beneficial to train and enter competitions with all of them to test for heart.

I've been using Frost's Guide to help figure out disciplines for horses. I have the basics on my farm's page, but it uses the numbers that you get by checking your horse's evaluation. It'll also give suggested conformation numbers to give you a target to breed to. I'd be happy to help out with this if you were to link some horses.
vallers
Visit My Farm

Post by vallers »

nevermind
Last edited by vallers on Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

ToiletWater13 wrote:Hello!

I am looking to purchase a horse or two. I've been searching for some that are trained and already competitive, but a lot of them are out of my price range, so I figured I'd make a post and see if I could find a way to meet in the middle. My current breeding project isn't about being competitive, as yet, but I do need some horses on my farm that are profitable to keep so I have enough horseworld money to keep the program going.

I am most comfortable spending up to $30k, although I might be able to push up to $50k for a really good deal. A fully trained horse would obvs cost me more than that, but maybe a semi-trained horse could fall into my price range. Hoping for a horse that's got around 30-50% stamina training and has a decent chance at earning a title in a show area. I might also be willing to offer up one of my farm horses to offset some of the cost, depending on which horse you're interested in and how much you would value them at.

The breed of the horse isn't super important, but it would be slightly preferable if they could participate in the breeding program. Tarpans, Shetland Ponies, Mongolians, Przkowalski Horses, and Grade Horses are the breeds I'm currently working with. Mixed breeds are fine, though for my breeding program I am looking especially for high body size stats (60%+).

Mares are preferable over Stallions, but I won't throw away a Stallion offer.

Prefer horses over 4 and under 12, since they can retire as early as age 15 and I would like, but again- I'll still consider an offer without it, depending on other circumstances.

Thanks in advance for considering an offer.
I have a champion but he's kinda old and he is a TBxBelgian mix. I have 1 I'm training to be a champ and hes a Belgian but he's not quite there yet. I have 2 on the way to being champs and atleast 1 is Belgian and 1-2 I'm thinking about doing. What are your prices?
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

ToiletWater13 wrote:Hey there! I checked out your horses and saw a couple of them I would be especially interested in adding to my program. https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3665005 https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3665065 and
Did you want any training done on those three?
Retsi
Visit My Farm

Post by Retsi »

ToiletWater13 wrote:.
I'm not sure I have any horses for you as I only breed race type horses but I would like to sponsor you if that's alright. Put any horse you don't want up for sale and ping me back with the link. If you are interested in race type horses like the one below, I have far too many :mrgreen: and enough stock to breed a mare or two for you.

⋆ℜ⋆ Roaring River Equestrian ⋆ℜ⋆
ToiletWater13
Visit My Farm

Post by ToiletWater13 »

EclipticEnd wrote:Certainly! I'm working on getting some horses sold on that account so it might take a bit for me to put them up for offers. I'll let you know when they're up though.

If you're working on competitive horses then it'll depend on your goals. Most horses can get a title even if they're AC born so long as you're persistent. If you're moreso looking at record breaking then that's a bit of a lengthier process.

From what I know, training a horse will just make it more likely to get it's best score, not necessarily make it more skilled (if that makes sense). As a vague example, if your horse has potential to score between 1-10 with no training, with training it'll be more likely to score from 6-10. Training itself won't change the best number, just make it more likely to achieve that number. Temperament, height and weight changes will alter the numbers which do tend to occur as the horse ages during training. Height will eventually stop changing at 5 years of age.

I'd say that training horses isn't necessary if you're still working to breed and improve them. It's good to do it every once in a while to see where they're at in ability and heart as well as a proof of competitive ability for you line, but it's not necessary for every horse unless you're trying to do some record breaking. It could be interesting training one and entering maybe a page of competitions for each discipline to see what happens, but that's also not necessary. If you have a ton of studs and aren't sure which to use then it could certainly be beneficial to train and enter competitions with all of them to test for heart.

I've been using Frost's Guide to help figure out disciplines for horses. I have the basics on my farm's page, but it uses the numbers that you get by checking your horse's evaluation. It'll also give suggested conformation numbers to give you a target to breed to. I'd be happy to help out with this if you were to link some horses.
I'll see if I can find some way to put that guide to use, for myself. I vaguely remember referencing it at some point in the game after following the link, but for some reason it didn't come together for me in a way where I felt like I had a good understanding of what I was looking at. My usual method has been trial and error at the Local Show.

I'm not looking to break any records, at this point. Once I start making some real progress towards breeding Mongolians (my current breeding goal) I'll worry more about making them record-breaking competitive. I do kind of understanding the concept that training has its limits in terms of what it can add to game play, like you can't generally make a horse that isn't well-suited to a discipline a champion in that discipline, but I feel like training has to do something or it wouldn't be in the game? And if you're not referring to training as "being persistent," I'm not quite sure what you mean about AC horses being able to get titles if you're persistent.

Here are some links to the horses I have set aside or bought for training. The last one on the list was one I bought because its parents were competitive, and who doesn't perform well at a lot of the local shows, so I would say I'm pretty curious about that one.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3133944

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3134641

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3138197

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3163707

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3674843

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3783464

Also, I know you really don't have to do this, and I appreciate you taking the time to try to explain to me whatever you choose to.
Retsi wrote: I'm not sure I have any horses for you as I only breed race type horses but I would like to sponsor you if that's alright. Put any horse you don't want up for sale and ping me back with the link. If you are interested in race type horses like the one below, I have far too many :mrgreen: and enough stock to breed a mare or two for you.
vallers wrote:pick a horse that's in the market for sale that you are interested in and link it here and ill get it for you. i feel that more people that want to compete the better......
Wow, these are such lovely offers! I will search back through the for sale forums and try to find any of the ones that caught my eye before the sticker shock turned me off. I'm also going to check out Retsi's horses. It's not an absolute rule that the competition horse(s) I buy must contribute to the breeding program, it's just a preference.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

ToiletWater13 wrote:-
No problem! I like helping out. : )

A general guide that I'm used to for vaguely deciding disciplines is the following:
  • A Light/Very Light horse will do best at a Racing discipline or Saddleseat. You're good at High Strung / Moderately Thin for all of those save for Endurance which is Bombproof. Therefore, if you get a horse that's Light/VL and is stuck at Bombproof you should try Endurance first. The only exception is Sprint which is better for Medium builds, but I've had L/VL builds do fine in this regardless. Saddleseat likes Balance, Endurance likes Stamina, the others like Speed.
  • Medium Light is racing Western (Poles/Barrels) and Cross Country. This is generally Spirited / Moderate.
  • Medium is general Western (Reining, Cutting, Pleasure, Trail, Working Ranch), some Driving ones (Driven Dressage, Obstacle Driving), and Hunter and In-Hand. Westerns generally like high Agility/Balance (as does In-Hand which is tiny horses), Obstacle Driving likes Strength, and the rest generally like Movement. That should help figure out which discipline out of that bunch might favor your horse. Temperament-wise, Western's Bombproof-Even, the Driven classes, Hunter and Dressage are good with Bombproof, and In-Hand is Spirited.
  • Medium Heavy is Show Jumping / Marathon Driving. Show Jumping is Moderately Thin / High Strung and favors Balance. Marathon Driving is Bombproof / Moderate / Strength.
  • Heavy doesn't go to an exact discipline from what I understand. Refer to whichever fits best in Very Heavy or Medium Heavy instead.
  • Very Heavy is Logpull (BP/Moderately Fleshy)
I think I got all of them in that. Even more vaguely you can say Racing is High Strung / Moderately Thin for Light/Very Light with Bombproof going to Endurance, Medium Light-Medium is your Westerns and non-Racing with Moderate/Calm or Even and anything heavier is probably a Bombproof/Moderate Driving discipline. Most disciplines favor 15hh+ horses save for In-Hand which has a height limit.

By persistence I mean continuing to enter competition after competition. Some AC horses might take 50 shows to get to Champion. Some might take 200-500. If you're persistent enough then heart and stats don't matter, but having good heart and quality genetics will make the process a lot faster and easier, and you certainly won't lose as much money. If I remember right, the earliest point to start entering competitions is when your horse's HGP is in the 55k range. Higher's better of course with 60k being the minimum for records I think, but that'll be thereabouts average as people tend to enter both lower and higher HGP horses.

I didn't mean to make training sound useless. It certainly is helpful for competition, but not outside of it save for visual appearance. A trained horse will usually have a better score over a non-trained one; the training helps achieve the horse's best innate ability. Metaphorically, a horse has an ability range from 0-100 where 0 is it's absolute worst score and 100 is it's best possible one. A trained horse might score consistently at 75-100 which is pretty high. A non-trained one has potential for 0-100, so it might do a good score but it still has that range of 0-74 where it won't score as well as it potentially could. Training's kind of like a buff in gaming terms if that makes sense; it permanently boosts the chance of a critical hit. Without the buff you still might get a critical hit, but not nearly as often.

If you're asking about disciplines:
  • Powdered Sugar Brownie could do great in Reining or Cutting based on body and Cutting out of the two for the Breeding Report.
  • Golden Girl is likely Reining/Western Trail/Working Ranch, Working Rach based on BR.
  • Mr. Brightside is a bit in-between as he's got a lower body size than is preferable for his build and type; maybe Western Trail or Working Ranch (WR based on BR)?
  • (Unnamed) might be Show Jumping, Marathon Driving, Log Pull as he's a Heavy Build. Maybe not Log Pull because of the red Movement comment?
  • Ushiromiya Lion is likely Working Ranch or Western Trail, not sure which.
  • «PS»Fast Stripper is best for Racing or Saddleseat, likely Racing due to BR.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:55 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:55 pm