Community Forum

Spotted Fields Forever - AC LP Experiments || WARNING: IMAGE HEAVY

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Knabstrupper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Spotted Fields Forever - AC LP Experiments || WARNING: IMAGE HEAVY

Post by Knabstrupper »

Spotted Fields Forever
The quest for PATN1.
It is currently unclear whether or not we have found the elusive PATN1 on HWO. I will be running experiments using only horses from the AC to see if I can definitively find PATN1.

Apart from finding PATN1, I am also using these experiments as a way to determine which breeds in the AC offer pattern extension. Snowflake expression is not being considered in this study.

Link to the original Leopard release post for reference.
Link to the original Leopard study, also for reference.

Criteria for AC Horses
AC horses used in these experiments must fit certain criteria. These are as follows:
  • Shetlands and Tarpans are used to provide the Lp switch. Only horses that are homozygous for the switch are used.
  • Lp switch Shetlands must not be red-based. - Criteria added 06/26/2020.
  • Where possible, all other breeds must black. - Criteria updated to exclude chestnut 06/26/2020.
  • While tobiano markings are permitted, they are preferred to be limited to small socks and facial markings.
  • No dilutions (cream, pearl, dun, silver, etc) are permitted, except in breeds where they are completely unavoidable.
  • Criteria against dilutions may be suspended in the North African Barb breed when presented with a black-based horse that has dilutions but carries no visible tobiano.
Methodology
  • A variety of horses will be adopted from the AC. It is preferable for the Lp switch horses to be stallions, though mares can be used if no stallions are available.
  • Lp switch horses are bred to non-Lp horses.
  • Each horse will be paired with another of the opposite gender - Lp stallions with non-Lp mares and vice versa.
  • Each pair of horses must produce at least five foals. - Methodology updated 06/26/2020
  • If a non-Lp stallion is paired with two or more Lp mares and none of the first three foals of any of the mares shows visible Lp at birth the stallion may be rehomed without producing subsequent foals. The mares must then be repartnered with a different non-Lp stallion. - Method no longer valid due to updated methodology above.
  • All foals will have their newborn picture saved and then be rehomed.
  • Each horse must be paired with at least two other horses and produce at least 10 foals. This is to hopefully reveal any hidden recessive genes. - Method added 06/26/2020.
Findings
This section will updated periodically with findings.
  • Caspians seem to offer greater pattern extension than other breeds. This is seen as a small amount of pattern extension along the spine toward the shoulders and down the outside of the hindquarters.
  • It appears that a large percentage of Belgians carry very few, if any, Lp genes. Many Belgians produce only foals with no visible Lp.
  • Przewalskis appear to predominantly offer no pattern extension.
  • Arabians appears to offer very little, if any, pattern extension.
  • It appears that Forest Horses may offer some extension, though not as much as Caspians. However they do offer a wider variety of spot sizes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts beyond this point will display pairings and their results. Other players are welcome to post with questions or comments.
Last edited by Knabstrupper on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
Knabstrupper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Spotted Fields Forever - AC LP Experiments

Post by Knabstrupper »

Horses Used
Stallions
Stallion 1Stallion 2Stallion 3
ImageImageImage
Stallion 4Stallion 5Stallion 6
ImageImageImage
Stallion 7Stallion 8Stallion 9
ImageImageImage
Stallion 10Stallion 11Stallion 12
ImageImageImage
Stallion 13Stallion 14Stallion 15
ImageImageImage
Stallion 16Stallion 17Stallion 18
ImageImageImage
Stallion 19Stallion 20Stallion 21
ImageImageImage
Mares
Mare 1Mare 2Mare 3
ImageImageImage
Mare 4Mare 5Mare 6
ImageImageImage
Mare 7Mare 8Mare 9
ImageImageImage
Mare 10Mare 11Mare 12
ImageImageImage
Mare 13Mare 14Mare 15
ImageImageImage
Mare 16Mare 17Mare 18
ImageImageImage
Mare 19Mare 20Mare 21
ImageImageImage
Mare 22Mare 23Mare 24
ImageImageImage
Mare 25Mare 26Mare 27
ImageImageImage
Mare 28Mare 29Mare 30
ImageImageImage
Mare 31Mare 32Mare 33
ImageImageImage
Mare 34Mare 35Mare 36
ImageImageImage
Mare 37Mare 38
ImageImage
Last edited by Knabstrupper on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:34 am, edited 10 times in total.
Knabstrupper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Knabstrupper »

Pairing 1
Stallion 1 x Mare 1
Note: This pairing was adopted before the criteria for AC horses was finalized.
StallionMare
ImageImage
  • Forest Horse
  • Smoky Brown
  • Minimal tobiano
  • Tarpan
  • Bay Dun
  • Homozygous Lp, minimal tobiano
Foals
ImageImageImageImage
Conclusions
This pair offered no white coverage on one occasion, white coverage of the same extent as the mother on two occasions, and minimal increased spread on one occasion. This stallion appears to have carried some genes for white spread, though not many.
Last edited by Knabstrupper on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tom
Admin
Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tom »

This is a wonderful project and I am looking forward to seeing your results. I'd like to donate 200 pony tokens to the cause.
Knabstrupper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Knabstrupper »

Tom wrote:This is a wonderful project and I am looking forward to seeing your results. I'd like to donate 200 pony tokens to the cause.
Thank you so much! I was wondering why I had that notification. :D I already have a lot of pairings and foals to post with some interesting observations so far. ;)
Knabstrupper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Knabstrupper »

Pairing 2
Stallion 2 x Mare 2
StallionMare
ImageImage
  • Shetland
  • Brown Cream
  • Homozygous Lp, light tobiano
  • Forest Horse
  • Brown
  • No white markings
Foals
ImageImageImageImage
Conclusions
None of the foals from this pairing displayed any leopard coverage. It is possible that this pairing was simply unlucky and failed to pass white genes each time, but I suspect it more likely that the mare had no coverage genes in the first place.
Last edited by Knabstrupper on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Knabstrupper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Knabstrupper »

Pairing 3
Stallion 3 x Mare 3
StallionMare
ImageImage
  • Belgian
  • Mealy Bay
  • Minimal tobiano
  • Tarpan
  • Bay Dun
  • Homozygous Lp
Foals
ImageImageImage
Conclusions
This pairing offered visible Lp on all three foals. Two out of the three showed coverage consistent with the dam, the third showed a very small amount of extended coverage up the spine. It appears as though this stallion carried some genes for white coverage, but very few.
Last edited by Knabstrupper on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Knabstrupper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Knabstrupper »

Pairing 4
Stallion 2 x Mare 4
StallionMare
ImageImage
  • Shetland
  • Brown Cream
  • Homozygous Lp, light tobianoo
  • Belgian
  • Black
  • Minimal Tobiano
Foals
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Conclusions
Though this pairing produced six foals, none of them showed visible Lp at birth. It appears as though this mare carried no pattern genes.
Last edited by Knabstrupper on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Knabstrupper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Knabstrupper »

Pairing 5
Stallion 2 x Mare 5
StallionMare
ImageImage
  • Shetland
  • Brown Cream
  • Caspian
  • Black
  • No white markings
Foals
ImageImageImageImageImage
Conclusions
Of the five foals produced through this pairing, two showed Lp coverage consistent with the sire and three showed extended coverage, both up the spine and along the outside of the hindquarters. It appears as though this mare may have carried a greater amount of genes for white coverage than the stallion, as the three foals with extended coverage appeared to more than double the white coverage of the sire.
Last edited by Knabstrupper on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Knabstrupper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Knabstrupper »

Pairing 6
Stallion 2 x Mare 6
StallionMare
ImageImage
  • Shetland
  • Brown Cream
  • Belgian
  • Black
  • Minimal tobiano
Foals
ImageImageImageImageImage
Conclusions
This pairing produced five foals with no visible Lp at birth. This mare appears to be yet another Belgian that carries no pattern genes.
Last edited by Knabstrupper on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 09, 2024 3:16 pm

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:16 pm