Community Forum

ʍʍ▿Maelstrom Mongolians || Selling!

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

ʍʍ▿Maelstrom Mongolians || Selling!

Post by EclipticEnd »

Placeholder for when I begin my Mongolian lines. I'll fill in what information I can now, though!

Intended Brand: ʍʍ▿

Private then Public line; I intend to take the time to get them to a good standard before opening them up to the public. I'd like to make them into decent grinders as well as possibly try for some record times with them, but only if I can make them fit for a discipline.

Current goals before Mongolian production:
---Colors and Build:
------Introduce Cream: At least two Grade Horses that I will definitely use should be Cremello and Perlino.
---------Side goal to this: Have it be a Wild variant Perlino?
------Introduce Tiger Eye: All Grade Horses that I will use should have Tiger Eyes.
------Introduce Sooty: This can come from either Recipe or Grade Horses, but there should be multiple Sootys.
------Keep High-Expression Dun: Dorsal with back barring, hip stripes, leg stripes, neck stripes
---------Basically: Sooty Dunlianos, Sooty Dunskins, Sooty Cremello Duns, Sooty Perlino Duns, Sooty Red/Bay Duns
------Keep Mongolian Evals: All Recipe and Grade Horses should be at least a 4* Mongolian Eval, preferably 5*.
---Statistics:
------COI% for all horses less than 50% if possible; cancel this if everything's ready before that point.
------Average HGP over 55,000. Colored Breeder's Comments welcome. No Reds allowed.
------DPE Average for Western Pleasure, Western Trail, and Working Ranch at or above 75%.
---Disciplines:
------Narrowed to Western Trail or Working Ranch
---------I need to decide between one of them; it'll depend on their ending HGP
------Western Trail:
---------15hh+, Pony Type (60%), Medium Build, 50% Size
---------Moderate, Calm
---------65k+ HGP
---------50 AGI, 45 BAL, Hight INT, 30 STA
------Working Ranch:
---------16hh+, Pony Type (50%), Medium Build, 50% Size
---------Moderately Fleshy, Even
---------60k+ HGP
---------Hight INT, 50 AGI, 45 BAL, 40 STR

Plan:
1.) Start Tarpan and Prze x Tarpan breeding in preparation for Mongolians.
1a.) Set to work creating a collection of Mongolian Recipe Horses (Prze x Tarpan). Save the most promising of the stock, cull the rest. Age what's left and freeze for now.
1b.) Set to work improving the current Tarpans; they're getting old and need replacements. Aiming for Mongolian Evals again; I'll be trying to use Belgians and Shetlands as well as any high HGP, Medium-Build studs that I can find. The trick is slowly breeding them back to pure. That'll likely require more Tarpans.
1c.) Breed more Prze x Tarpans with the new Tarpan stock. Compare via evals and DPE. Cull the lesser candidates from both groups, then age any foals to maturity and freeze them
1d.) Repeat until the average Tarpan and Prze x Tarpan HGP is above 50k, preferably around 55k or higher if possible while keeping a 4-5* evaluation.

2.) Start Grade Horse breeding in preparation to mix them with Mongolians.
2a.) Start with not good/not bad stock that evaluates somewhat well. Begin breeding the first generation for a mix of coloration and HGP. Aim for Medium-build studs, but if not possible then default to those which will aid in the color goals.
2b.) Cull any foals with red comments. Take note of evaluations and DPE. Cull any below a set DPE and/or HGP. Age to maturity.

2c.) Continue with Generation 1 until satisfied with the herd, then begin Generation 2. Aim to better HGP further, but do not sacrifice evals. Repeat 2b.
2d.) Continue to Generation 3. Aim to narrow down to 4* and 5* Evaluations. Keep the most promising foals, cull the rest. Repeat this step until satisfied; these will be the color-backbone of the Mongolians as well as aid in HGP, so it's crucial that they fit within strict standards.

3.) Begin making Mongolians.
3a.) Breed together the Tarpans and Prze x Tarpans from step 1.
3b.) Cull any red comments and any HGP and DPE below a determined threshold.
3c.) Continue until the founding base of the Mongolians has been created; perhaps 10 Mares and 5 Studs? We're not looking for quantity so much as quality; these will be aged out eventually.

4.) Mix the Mongolians.
4a.) Use the Grades to mix into the Mongolians the preferred color, and hopefully boost HGP and DPE if necessary.
4b.) Cull any undesirable characteristics, regardless of stats.
4c.) Continue until the founding Mongolian base has been created.
------A Cremello and Perlino Mongolian
------A Palomino and Buckskin Mongolian
------A Red Dun and Bay Dun Mongolian
------All Sooty
------All Dun
------All Tiger Eyes
------Favorable HGP and DPE
------4-5* Evaluations for Mongolian
Target Genetics: EE Ee ee/??/Crn/StySty/DD/tt || EE Ee ee/??/CrCr/StySty/DD/tt
---EE = 2x Black, Ee = 1x Black, ee = No Extension (Black)
---?? = Any Agouti (Bay)
---Crn or CrCr (One or Two Cream means Palomino/Buckskin and Cremello/Perlino; means I'll have to keep Chestnuts and Bays if I don't want just pure Cremellos and Perlinos)
---StySty = Sooty genes! Not enough to make Pseudo Black, but Sooty and Sooty Dapples are welcome
---DD = Always Dun
---tt = Always Tiger Eye

5.) Begin Conservation Breeding
5a.) Cull or age out all non-colored Mongolians save for the best stud. This will become the founding stud with whom we'll work with.
5b.) Follow the directions via the information provided by Hilayla (thanks again) to begin creating a concentrated stock of horses. This will involve line breeding to keep favorable characteristics.
5c.) Continue with this, checking DPE, culling those who don't fit the project standards, and expanding the herd.
5d.) Train and test the best mare and Stud of each generation; I'd like these to be good Grinders as well as possibly go for some RH titles assuming they end up able to make that happen.

6.) Have a successful Sooty Cream Mongolian herd.
Last edited by EclipticEnd on Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 13 times in total.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

ʍʍ▿Maelstrom Mongolians || Possible Colors

Post by EclipticEnd »

I'm tentatively beginning to acquire some horses for this project. These horses will help determine the color and stats of the future Mongolians. As such, I'm compiling a list of various horses that I like the colorations of in order to help me make some choices.

So far I think I definitely want:
---Sooty (Dapples? High Expression? Low Expression?)
---Dun
---Cream: Ideally Palomino, Buckskin, Cremello, Perlino
---Also keep some Red Dun / Bay Dun horses because otherwise I will end up with just double creams
---Blue Tiger Eye

And I definitely don't want:
---Champagne
---Grey
---High Expression Varnish

Sooty Dunliano
Varnish Metallic Dunskin
Sooty Silver Mealy Buckskin
Metallic Mealy Plume? Dunskin
Metallic Brown Cream
Blue Roan Blanket (That Tiger Eye Color!)
Sooty Dappled Dunskin
Silver Grulla Blanket Tobiano (Pattern)
Varnish Grulla Blanket Tobiano (Pattern)
Grulla with the exact Tiger eye color
Last edited by EclipticEnd on Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

ʍʍ▿Maelstrom Mongolians || Grade Horses

Post by EclipticEnd »

Here's a list of the horses that I have for the Grade side of things. I'll be breeding the Grades for color and stats, and then breeding the Tarpans, Przes, and Mongolians with them to avoid any Breed X ______ nonsense. I'll then be carefully breeding them back to pure, and probably starting the cycle over again to try for better stats and conformations.

Current Goal:
Increase stats to around 60,000 HGP. Keep a 3-4* eval, higher if possible but not required. Keep COI below 50% if possible. Colors do not entirely matter, but stay away from colors that are prohibited for this project. Conformation doesn't entirely matter; keep it in mind but I'll cull what doesn't fit later.

This will all be done generation by generation, so while the first generation of grades might not be great, they'll get better in time.

========================
Mares:
Echo ||Shetland Pony x North African Barb [50%] || 28,927 HGP || 5* Mongolian || Red Dun Tobiano (Hopefully Sooty)
Collected for the color and eval. I plan to breed her with much higher HGP studs while at the same time hopefully keeping that lovely pattern and five star evaluation.
Electric Century ||Forest Horse x Caspian [50%] || 32,669 HGP || 5* Mongolian || Mealy Bay (Hopefully Sooty)
Collected for Eval. I plan to breed her with much higher HGP studs while at the same time hopefully keeping that five star evaluation.
Argentina Bird ||Gypsy Vanner [+5] || 55,385 HGP || 4* Mongolian || High Varnish Chestnut Snowcap
Collected for Eval. I plan to breed her with much higher HGP studs while at the same time hopefully getting up to a 5* evaluation. The high varnish isn't ideal, but I might be able to breed that out as I go.
========================
Foals:
[E] Silent Century === Electric Century x Silent
[E] Snowy Owl === Argentina Bird x [E] Winter Fire
[E] Thunderslide === Echo x [E] Avalanche
Last edited by EclipticEnd on Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

ʍʍ▿Maelstrom Mongolians || Recipe Horses

Post by EclipticEnd »

Recipe horses for the first batch of Mongolians. These horses include Tarpans, Przewalskis, and Tarpan X Prez mixes. Grade horses are not included here as they have their own section above.

These horses will found the first wave of Mongolians. They may or may not all be related via one Prze; I'm looking into another one to add some genetic diversity, but as of yet I haven't had luck.

These horses will not have the ʍʍ▿ brand, as they are not Mongolians. The brand itself is purely reserved for Mongolians. They will also be listed as either Stallion or Mare regardless of age.

Pure Tarpans (Public Studs): Avoid if possible, use only if necessary
Yin Bei~ 48,865HGP 4* Mongolian
Yin Dúyào 47,869HGP 4* Mongolian
Xander 43,552HGP 4* Mongolian

Darek An Avel 54,593HGP 3* Mongolian
Kirintor An Avel 51,015HGP 3* Mongolian
{Charade} BD:51 43,266HGP 3* Mongolian
Champion 42,761HGP 3* Mongolian

The below list will be updated with the correct horses later.

========================
Przewalski Horse:
[E] Nebulous ||Przewalski Horse [+16] || 55,689 HGP || 5* Mongolian || Sooty Mealy Wild Bay Dun (Possibly Plume) || Stallion
Currently my only Prze stud. I'm looking for more of matching quality to own privately. Two Gold: Balance, Intelligence. One Green: Tempo.
========================
Tarpan:
T96 F 5* Mongolian ||Tarpan [96%] || 38,746 HGP || 5* Mongolian || Varnish Bay Dun || Mare
Only 96%, but that still works. One Green: Intelligence.
T100 F 5* Mongolian ||Tarpan [100%] || 48,389 HGP || 5* Mongolian || Varnish Bay Dun || Mare
One Gold: Intelligence.
T100 F 5* Mongolian ||Tarpan [100%] || 44,305 HGP || 5* Mongolian || Sooty Bay || Mare
Non-dun, non-varnish. One Gold: Intelligence.
========================
Tarpan X Prze:
[E] Love's Bell ||Part Przewalski Horse x Tarpan [55%] || 46,228 HGP || 4* Mongolian || Bay Dun || Stallion
One Green: Intelligence.
[E] Spellbind ||Tarpan x Przewalski Horse [50%] || 47,858 HGP || 5* Mongolian || Bay Dun || Mare
One Gold: Intelligence.
Last edited by EclipticEnd on Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

ʍʍ▿Maelstrom Mongolians || Discipline Potential Evaluations

Post by EclipticEnd »

This section comes via Silverine's Discipline Potential Evaluation tool.

I'm using this tool to check the horses within my herd and track how they change and improve.

Currently the horses seem to be hovering in the low 50s to mid-40s. My target is going to be to get them to around 80%, if not higher. I'm going to go in steps first, though.

Current goal: Get WP, WT, or WR average to at least 60% for both Grade and Recipe Horses.

Total Average History:
Aug. 27, 2022: WP 55.05% || WT 47.25% || WR 52.54%
Aug. 29, 2022: WP 53.86% || WT 48.04% || WR 53.55%

The below list will be updated with the correct horses later.

========================
Grade Horses:
Current Averages: WP 50.3% || WT 47.95% || WR 52.1%
WP = 301.8 / 6 || WT = 287.7 / 6 || WR = 312.6 / 6
Echo || Western Pleasure 33.4% || Western Trail 40.4% || Working Ranch 37.1%
On the lower side. I expect improvement from her foals.
Electric Century || Western Pleasure 36.7% || Western Trail 34.4% || Working Ranch 34.2%
On the lower side. I expect improvement from her foals.
Argentina Bird || Western Pleasure 59.3% || Western Trail 46.1% || Working Ranch 58.5%
Not bad, could be great if her foals improve well.
[E] Silent Century || Western Pleasure 51.8% || Western Trail 56.8% || Working Ranch 64.7%
Was oddly good for Cutting as well at around 64%; most of them are suited for cutting, but normally as the third or fourth discipline, not the second.
[E] Snowy Owl || Western Pleasure 66.1% || Western Trail 53.6% || Working Ranch 58.9%
This one definitely favors Western Pleasure; might cultivate that.
[E] Thunderslide || Western Pleasure 55.3% || Western Trail 56.4% || Working Ranch 59.2%
This one likes Working Ranch. Might cultivate that as well.
========================
Recipe Horses:
Current Averages: WP 57.42% || WT 48.13% || WR 55%
WP = 344.5 / 6 || WT = 288.8 / 6 || WR = 330 / 6
[E] Nebulous || Western Pleasure 71% || Western Trail 61.1% || Working Ranch 65.8%
Pretty great, all things considered! Favors Western Pleasure.
T96 F 5* Mongolian || Western Pleasure 45.2% || Western Trail 42.8% || Working Ranch 46.9%
Could be better; might not be the most ideal base, but that's what the Grade Horses will be for.
T100 F 5* Mongolian || Western Pleasure 59.2% || Western Trail 46% || Working Ranch 55.3%
Not bad, considering she's just a Tarpan.
T100 F 5* Mongolian || Western Pleasure 56.8% || Western Trail 42.9% || Working Ranch 49.9%
Could be better, but could be worse.
[E] Love's Bell || Western Pleasure 53.4% || Western Trail 48.1% || Working Ranch 54%
Not too bad.
[E] Spellbind || Western Pleasure 58.9% || Western Trail 47.9% || Working Ranch 58.1%
Also not too bad; would be ideal if I could increase that Trail percentage.
========================
Mongolians:
Current Averages: WP 0% || WT 0% || WR 0%
WP = 0 / 0 || WT = 0 / 0 || WR = 0 / 0
ʍʍ▿NAME || Western Pleasure DPE || Western Trail DPE || Working Ranch DPE
COMMENTS.
Last edited by EclipticEnd on Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: ʍʍ▿Maelstrom Mongolians || Preparation Phase

Post by EclipticEnd »

Updates:

---Grade Horses:
Working on increasing the HGP as well as honing in on the Sooty Dunliano Tiger Eye coloration that I want. There's an issue in that one of the beginning Grades were Snowcap, and now I have Snowcap and Blanket patterns to get rid of in the Grades. I'm doing well on getting Creams in, and I'm getting some heterozygous Tiger Eyes mixed in as well. I'm working on Blacks to ensure less Agouti as well. Ideally I want no Extension, no Agouti, one Cream, Two Dun, Two Tiger Eye, and Sooty.

---Mongolian Recipes:
I've made multiple, aged them to mature, and frozen them. The Tarpan mares have been put into making new Tarpans, after which I'll revisit this step, make more, compare, and cull what fall below my standards. If I'm still not happy, then I'll make more Tarpans at a higher quality and repeat.

---Tarpans:
The current highest percentage of the new generation is 78% Tarpan, 22% other. The vast majority of these foals have been male, and so I'm going to cull most of them at maturity. I'm looking primarily for females for this project. The current best HGP is at 57k, belonging to a 50% Tarpan. I'm working on taking away Dun, Black, and/or Agouti from the Tarpans to make them work better for my project. Ideally I'd like to end up with multiple Cremello or Cremello Duns to help integrate Cream from this part of the Mongolian equation.

---Note keeping:
I've fallen behind on updating these slices of information. I've decided I'm going to wait until I have all of the horses I need, then note whatever I keep in these logs. Instead of updating the posts, I'm going to do updates like this until I can actually start.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 1: Reset

Post by EclipticEnd »

I'm not finding much progress with making higher HGP (and non Agouti) Tarpans as well as with the Grades that I'm clumsily putting together, so I'm making a new plan.

For the Tarpans I'm going to probably need to source more purebreds, and then I'm probably going to need to do what I did before and mix with Belgians instead of whatever I can get my hands on. Grades would be the most ideal, but I'm not happy with my stock and I don't think I've found a public one to my liking. I'll keep working with what I have, but I'm going to start culling some of the less favorable outcomes. Body and face shape are also things that I want to be careful with; I don't want to get super dished or roman noses, and I prefer smaller ears over larger ones. I do prefer more of a horse shape, but Mongolians as an eval prefer pony-type which means these Tarpans must venture into being pony-type as well.

For the Grades, I'm going to stop worrying about HGP and instead start really focusing on getting the genetic baseline that I want. I want there to be no Agouti within this line of Mongolians, which means I need to be focusing on Grulla and Black studs instead of others with unconfirmed genetics. I imagine that the HGP might go down, and the evals definitely will; however, neither of those are super great anyway, so I'm not too heartbroken over this.

Once I have a group of non-Agoutis, then I'll start working in the evals. Once I have an average of 4* for a group, I'll start working on HGP. It's definitely going to be a juggling act; I don't think there's many horses that have the Mongolian build that also have good statistics. I'll be happy if I end up with 3*, 50k+ HGP. I'd prefer better, but you have to work with what you've got.

I've already started the process of aging out some of the first group, so I'm going to look through them and see about culling anything that I probably won't need.

I also have the issue of Silver genetics in my herd due to not realizing one of the Arabians I was using was Silver. I'm going to try to get rid of that as well, even if it's not going to show up on my target Dunlianos. I want to have a good guess at their genetics and not deal with surprises.

EDIT: I'm fairly certain that I don't want any white patterns save for socks, snips, blazes, etc. I'm going to cull or age out everything with a pattern, I think, regardless of stats, eval, and color. I'm keeping any Roans because I can breed that out, but Blanket/Snowcap can be stubborn.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 2: Culling

Post by EclipticEnd »

I've officially run out of room on my farm, so I'm more seriously beginning to cull horses. My secondary farm has maxed out the ownerships skills, but this one's got an 8 day wait and I'd rather work on increasing training right now.

Current standards:
Color = Get rid of Snowcaps/Blankets/Snowflakes/Varnish (on Grades, they're fine on the Tarpans for now)
HGP = Must be 50k or higher for Grades
Eval = Only done if not enough have been culled. Any Grades less than 2* will be culled

I'm not touching my current Tarpan mixes; some certainly aren't great, but I'll decide on those later.

As a quick edit, I realize my last update said I wouldn't worry about HGP. As an explanation, I'm culling below an HGP standard to make sure that I keep using new horses in my breeding rather than the same ones over and over again. This will hopefully help bring forth improvements rather than just foal spam. It helps that I now need to make room, but this is something I was going to do anyway.

Edit 2: Done going through the grades! It was pretty quick and painless; I'd already gotten rid of most of the patterned ones out of the grades, it was just a matter of getting rid of the last few. Additionally, I went though and added their HGP to their descriptions; anything below 50k was rehomed. Anything that already had foals and was below 50k has been put into pastures to age out. I'm not going to go through my Tarpans purely because they're taking up more room than I'd thought they were.

Tarpan Standards:
Color = null; anything I don't use I'll sell
HGP = Above 45k. Anything that is a cross that's below 45k will be rehomed. If it's a pure Tarpan then it is what it is, I can't be too picky about that.
Eval = null; again, anything I don't use will be sold (or rehomed) based on other recipes for the breed

Edit 3: Organization and culling is done for now. Resuming breeding.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 3: Color Choice, Progress

Post by EclipticEnd »

I've settled on Sooty Cream Duns rather than the specific Sooty Dunliano that I was originally aiming for. This includes Sooty Dunliano, Sooty Dunskin, Sooty Cremello Dun, and Sooty Perlino Dun. I don't think I'm going to be including Black nor Seal bases purely because the color of those would be off from the cream/yellow tone I'm looking for.

As for progress, I'm not completely certain that a lot's being made? I don't have a 4-5* rated Grade (that I know of) as of yet, and I'm not satisfied with the Tarpans that I've got. I am getting some higher HGP, but it seems like the higher the HGP, the lower the evaluation for Mongolian. The foals have also started reverting back to Bay Dun despite the promising Perlinos and Dunlianos that I was getting at the start. I'm going to keep going with what I have anyway in the hope that I'll come up with something good in the end.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 4: More Culling

Post by EclipticEnd »

I'm at that point again where I don't have enough room. It's probably not the smartest nor the most efficient thing to do both Tarpans and Grades at the same time as I can only have half as many of either, but I'm dealing. This just means I need to narrow down my wants and needs once more.

For Grades, this means anything below 55,000 HGP will be culled.
If the horse is 3* or more for Mongolian, it will not be culled regardless of HGP.
If the horse's build is Very Light, it will be culled. If the build is Light, it will be considered for culling.
If the horse has varnish, it will be culled regardless of HGP and Eval.
If the horse has large, pointy ears, it will be considered for culling.

For Tarpans, this means anything below 52k will be culled (unless it's 100% Tarpan).
If the horse has 2* or less for its Eval, it will be considered for culling.

Edit: Done for the most part, I think. Got rid of some. I think the main issue is the number that have to age out; I'm going to have to be more careful about who I breed in the future to avoid the living progeny issue.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:02 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:02 am