Community Forum

Question on breeding out traits?

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Pintos & Pixie Dust
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Question on breeding out traits?

Post by Pintos & Pixie Dust »

Hope this post is in the right forum.

I've bred a few beautiful champagne NAB mares, but unfortunately at least two of them carry this awful conformation gene that almost looks like a very exaggerated version of sway back - only the back from the withers to the croup is a complete slope, instead of just a dip like S.B. Is it worth keeping these mares and trying to breed this gene out? I know it can be done but this gene is popping out more than not and I'm afraid because it is so pronounced it might sit dormant waiting to come out in later foals.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Question on breeding out traits?

Post by PeacefulOreo »

Pintos & Pixie Dust wrote:Hope this post is in the right forum.

I've bred a few beautiful champagne NAB mares, but unfortunately at least two of them carry this awful conformation gene that almost looks like a very exaggerated version of sway back - only the back from the withers to the croup is a complete slope, instead of just a dip like S.B. Is it worth keeping these mares and trying to breed this gene out? I know it can be done but this gene is popping out more than not and I'm afraid because it is so pronounced it might sit dormant waiting to come out in later foals.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
You definitely can breed it out it could take a while but you can breed it out eventually. Breed the ones that have the swayback look to ones that don't and keep breeding them to the non swayback looked ones until you are satisfied. It's up to you if you want to put that much effort and time into it.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 12, 2024 2:10 pm

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:10 pm