Community Forum

Sooty Weirdo

Want to hold your own contest? Post the details here!
Retsi
Visit My Farm

Sooty Weirdo

Post by Retsi »

I've been breeding sooty/dapple TBs for many many generations now and I've been seeing some unusual coloring expressed, no doubt from inbreeding. I've been line breeding to strengthen the dapple and sooty (and fluffy :lol: ) characteristics. So what the heck is this color? I see the sooty on her but the color has me stumped

⋆ℜ⋆ Roaring River Equestrian ⋆ℜ⋆
AHorseandPonyLover
Visit My Farm

Re: Sooty Weirdo

Post by AHorseandPonyLover »

Retsi wrote:
I've been breeding sooty/dapple TBs for many many generations now and I've been seeing some unusual coloring expressed, no doubt from inbreeding. I've been line breeding to strengthen the dapple and sooty (and fluffy :lol: ) characteristics. So what the heck is this color? I see the sooty on her but the color has me stumped

It looks like Smoky Black Silver color.
~♕♞Tℋℰ♘♕

"If you look into the eyes of a Horse, you won't just see a Horse, you will see life, love and determination."

~Proud Breeder Of ALL Horses/Breeds~
Retsi
Visit My Farm

Post by Retsi »

AHorseandPonyLover wrote:It looks like Smoky Black Silver color.
Something along the lines of this would make sense. Since both parents are Chestnut, the agouti gene also creates black. I get black rarely from two Chestnut parents
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Retsi wrote:
Flaxen red dun with epic sooty and of course, tiger eye.
I've seen similar to these, the sooty takes the brilliant red coloration out of the chestnuts and turns it rather dusky and muddy.
She shares the same color as both parents. With the stallion having the sole exception of not appearing to have flaxen.

Two chestnuts cannot throw black babies and in fact won't through agouti babies either. Since chestnut is the recessive e/e, it can every only throw e. So two chestnuts are both e/e which means the babies will always be e/e.

But it does create some nice pseudo colors! :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Retsi
Visit My Farm

Post by Retsi »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Retsi wrote:
I've seen similar to these, the sooty takes the brilliant red coloration out of the chestnuts and turns it rather dusky and muddy.
She shares the same color as both parents. With the stallion having the sole exception of not appearing to have flaxen.

Two chestnuts cannot throw black babies and in fact won't through agouti babies either. Since chestnut is the recessive e/e, it can every only throw e. So two chestnuts are both e/e which means the babies will always be e/e.

I wonder why I've gotten black foals from Chestnuts? Thanks for the clarification, she's stunning
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Retsi wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I wonder why I've gotten black foals from Chestnuts? Thanks for the clarification, she's stunning
There's a couple options... that the black foals are in fact pseudo-blacks. I've had chestnuts darken so heavily that they look just like black horses.
Or that one of the 'chestnut' parents was actually a bay or wild bay instead (less likely brown). There are some bays and especially wild bays that I, personally, had them pegged as chestnuts, until the fact that a black nose finally registered in my head. In this case, a bay, wild bay or brown, when paired with a chestnut CAN throw a black foal.
Both of these have happened to me.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 2:04 am

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:04 am