Community Forum

Pricing when it comes to selling your horses

LadyRuthven
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Pricing when it comes to selling your horses

Post by LadyRuthven »

So, I always struggle with how much to sell my horses. The struggle really being what i need to sell them at to keep my farm going vs what the demand is for my breeds from other players.

I'm hoping for some insight into how our community on what your look for in general when you visit the marketplace and you personally decide if a price is worth the horse you buying.

I breed both Spanish Jennets and Thoroughbreds between my two farms (LadyRuthen and LadyByron).

What do you think is a fair price and what are your factors in determining that. Just hoping to get a general idea of the market as a whole.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Pricing when it comes to selling your horses

Post by Sawd10 »

LadyRuthven wrote:So, I always struggle with how much to sell my horses. The struggle really being what i need to sell them at to keep my farm going vs what the demand is for my breeds from other players.

I'm hoping for some insight into how our community on what your look for in general when you visit the marketplace and you personally decide if a price is worth the horse you buying.

I breed both Spanish Jennets and Thoroughbreds between my two farms (LadyRuthen and LadyByron).

What do you think is a fair price and what are your factors in determining that. Just hoping to get a general idea of the market as a whole.
It all depends on the horse.
I can give lots of info, just give me a random horses link from your farm. :D
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

LadyRuthven wrote:
The market isn't usually super fast so I try to price my horses low enough to be considered. AC horses and anything on their level HGP wise get priced at $2,500 (which is equal to $100 per PT spent on them). Bred horses that aren't part of any particular project and don't have anything particularly spectacular about them get priced around $5,000. Anything else gets priced higher. Nice competition horses that aren't trained will usually be priced around $10,000. Trained horses will go for much more, at least $50k, usually closer to $75k or $100k depending on their stats and conformation. Champed horses will go for even more than that.

Any horse that I'm particularly attached to but can't find a reason to keep will be priced at at least $100k. That way if somebody buys it I'll know they at least value it half as much as I do. :lol:
LadyRuthven
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by LadyRuthven »

Sawd10 wrote: It all depends on the horse.
I can do that! lol So, at Ruthven Stables I breed just Spotted Spanish Jennets (really trying to stay true to the breed IRL). I have sold my Mares pretty successfully at around $5,000 and my studs at around $3,000. But I would like to get up to selling at least $25 -$75 and not sure how to get there with these.

Here is a couple of horses that are good examples of where my herd is currently at as far as stats and such. I also don't train any horses on this account right now, but I'm thinking of doing that now that there seems to be an uptake in Grinders and such.

Over The Rainbow

He is a stud that has been very popular at public stud lately.

Polly

She's one of my brand new babies on the farm from my latest batch.

Now, on my second account, Byron Farms, I spend my time training and Champing Thoroughbreds right now. I do breed them as I do this just so I can get some better stats and such and because it's just fun to breed them. lol Now, I know that Thoroughbreds are the hottest breed in this game and the really prized ones are Racers and with lots of speed. I see these sell for millions on the marketplace. But I myself haven't really gotten that response when I try to sell my Thoroughbreds. I feel like I might being doing something wrong but not sure what. Obviously, not every horse will sell for millions, lol, but I'd like to at least get to a point of selling them from $100K-$500K as I plan on just putting 2 at a time on the marketplace. Only what I feel are my best at the time.

Here are my examples of my best on Byron Farms right now.

{BF} King Of The Wind

He is a Champ Racer.

{BF} Windwalker

He's a Champ Saddleseat. Obviously not a racer but he is a 5* eval and just beautiful.

So, really I'm hoping on getting some insight on what to improve, what I'm doing wrong, and how to get to a point of selling for way more.

Also, when you sell a more expensive horse, how long does it typically take to sell and is it better to sell at For Offer Only, a listed price, or a Offer with a Buy out price? Should I list them also on the Forum under Horses For Sales to get a better response or does it make a difference?

Any insight helps. And sorry for the long reply. lol Thanks so helping! :D I just want to be able to really contribute to our community and not just put horse out there that will just go to waste or never sell. Quality or Quantity. :D
LadyRuthven
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by LadyRuthven »

Silverine wrote:
LadyRuthven wrote:
The market isn't usually super fast so I try to price my horses low enough to be considered. AC horses and anything on their level HGP wise get priced at $2,500 (which is equal to $100 per PT spent on them). Bred horses that aren't part of any particular project and don't have anything particularly spectacular about them get priced around $5,000. Anything else gets priced higher. Nice competition horses that aren't trained will usually be priced around $10,000. Trained horses will go for much more, at least $50k, usually closer to $75k or $100k depending on their stats and conformation. Champed horses will go for even more than that.

Any horse that I'm particularly attached to but can't find a reason to keep will be priced at at least $100k. That way if somebody buys it I'll know they at least value it half as much as I do. :lol:
That is some really good insight! I do find that my untrained, regular horses do successfully sell for $5,000 except colts and studs for some reason. They normally only go for around $3,000 and I'm thinking it's because there are just a lot more studs for sale on the marketplace. I think everyone wants to hang on to their mares because of the benefits you can get with them. lol

I tend to do the same pricing when I don't want to let a horse go but know I need too. lol It's hard not to get attached sometimes. lol

Thanks for this. It's been very helpful! :D
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

LadyRuthven wrote:
Sawd10 wrote: It all depends on the horse.
I can do that! lol So, at Ruthven Stables I breed just Spotted Spanish Jennets (really trying to stay true to the breed IRL). I have sold my Mares pretty successfully at around $5,000 and my studs at around $3,000. But I would like to get up to selling at least $25 -$75 and not sure how to get there with these.

Here is a couple of horses that are good examples of where my herd is currently at as far as stats and such. I also don't train any horses on this account right now, but I'm thinking of doing that now that there seems to be an uptake in Grinders and such.

Over The Rainbow

He is a stud that has been very popular at public stud lately.

Polly

She's one of my brand new babies on the farm from my latest batch.

Now, on my second account, Byron Farms, I spend my time training and Champing Thoroughbreds right now. I do breed them as I do this just so I can get some better stats and such and because it's just fun to breed them. lol Now, I know that Thoroughbreds are the hottest breed in this game and the really prized ones are Racers and with lots of speed. I see these sell for millions on the marketplace. But I myself haven't really gotten that response when I try to sell my Thoroughbreds. I feel like I might being doing something wrong but not sure what. Obviously, not every horse will sell for millions, lol, but I'd like to at least get to a point of selling them from $100K-$500K as I plan on just putting 2 at a time on the marketplace. Only what I feel are my best at the time.

Here are my examples of my best on Byron Farms right now.

{BF} King Of The Wind

He is a Champ Racer.

{BF} Windwalker

He's a Champ Saddleseat. Obviously not a racer but he is a 5* eval and just beautiful.

So, really I'm hoping on getting some insight on what to improve, what I'm doing wrong, and how to get to a point of selling for way more.

Also, when you sell a more expensive horse, how long does it typically take to sell and is it better to sell at For Offer Only, a listed price, or a Offer with a Buy out price? Should I list them also on the Forum under Horses For Sales to get a better response or does it make a difference?

Any insight helps. And sorry for the long reply. lol Thanks so helping! :D I just want to be able to really contribute to our community and not just put horse out there that will just go to waste or never sell. Quality or Quantity. :D
Nah, no worries, I always make huge responses. :D
Before I start, I would just like to say you have some beutiful horses there! :D
I will start with some basic information:
*AC (Adoption Center) horses usually sell for $2500 (That is $100 per PT (Pony token) spent).

I will start with the Spanish. So, from what it looks like, a lot of your Spanishes tend to be a type of red. (Red, Red roan, Red dun, etc.) A lot of them also have LP (leopard) on them. These are very nice horses but just a heads up some people may want some "POP!" In them sometimes. Some of your Spanishes also have Varnish. I would like to point out that a big majority of players (Including me) don't like varnish or graying. (Your horses are still pretty, though :D). Like I have seen, you are making a good profit off of them for around 5k. that's a nice price, and at the point you are at in this breed, they could sell for up to 12k, but don't count on it JUST YET. :mrgreen:
Nice competition horses generally sell for around 10k untrained. Trained, they can sell really for up to 20k. ***The younger they are, the better. Especially if they are trained at a young age and kept that age.
A nice comp horse has generally AT LEAST 2 golds. But they should definitely have more, if possible. They should also have somewhere around 56+ HGP.

The conformation of the horse: If the horse has a really high conformation stat, it will sell for A LOT more. (Up to 15k more depending on the other things about the horse).
The horse should have at least a 3* eval, but I NEVER stand that. I always have 4* or 5*. If the horse has a title, this horse can sell for a whole bigger price. Just a Champion really isn't TOO BIG of a deal, but if it is a Grand Champion or higher title, it can sell for up to 100k more. Nextly, World Record holding horse:
If your horse is a record holder, it can sell for a couple million more, my friend. :D

If your horse is a rare color (Silver Black Dapple Pearl, Sooty Dapple, etc.) it can also make a big pricing difference. This all depends, but it could be a couple million $$$ more.
If your horse has a high win %, it can sell for a lot more, as well.

So, your best bet for making money is to do this: Have a nice comp horse, fully train it, freeze it so it does not age, get it a title, make sure it has a high win %, Hopefully it will have a good color, great confo, and sell it. You will make a lot of money. It also takes time. Some times you have to keep "Reposting" your horse on the market. Plus, even out of thousands of players (it has happened to me XD) nobody wants the horse.
It's also kind of weird, because sometimes the most random horse can sell for so much money! It is sometimes all just a learning experience.

Thoroughbreds:
So, I am going to cut this short, because a lot of good information was given above. These are COMMON horses, but also VALUABLE horses. People make a LOT of money off of them. A couple good things to keep in mind while selling these guys:
*Young & trained works best
*Competition Worthy/proved
*Nice/rare color
*Title
*Record holder
*Great confo
*4* or more eval
If your horse has 1 or more of those above, it can make you a decent amount of money.
A good confo for a thoroughbred is 61+ speed, 23+ Strength, 30+ Stamina. The other stats do not matter too much for them.

Also, make sure and make a good ad! Think of it like this:
Say you are scrolling through the market and you see this horse. The ad looks like this:
No picture of the horse. The person says this: "buy him i need gone. he is good." or something similar like that. Is that really going to make someone buy him or check him out? Not really, no. So make a convincing, nice ad. (Don't lie, though! :D)

The ad should have an UPDATED picture of the horse, that way anyone can see what it looks like. You should tell the people some info on the horse AE (an example): Pure Thoroughbred, 6 gold, 1 green. He has a really nice conformation that consists of 63 speed, 25 strength, and 40 stamina! This horse is a Palomino, and is a very beautiful one. :) He is fully trained and is very young. He is a Supreme Champion++!! He has a win % of 89.6. He has an evaluation of *4, which I wish was a 5*, but you can't always get the perfect horse! :lol: He was bred by me, and I ask that you please keep my brand. He is up for 100k OBO (or best offer)! I am willing to take offers, but please none under 60k. Also, don't worry; I play everyday, so if you are interested in him, feel free to offer or buy. :)
Thank you and have a nice day.

That is pretty convincing, isn't it? That fake horse is sure to sell ;).
*Also, with the mares, if they are really good, you can sell the mare pregnant to a really good stallion and make a very good profit, as well.
Now, for your questions:
It doesn't really matter if you put it for Offers, Offers OBO, or a firm price. I honestly think that if you think that the horse you are selling is really actually WORTH 1mil, then you can put it for a firm price. If you are not super sure, but you still want a somewhat good price, put it for 1 mil OBO. If you have totally no idea what he is worth, put him for offers only.
So, if your horse(s) you are selling are REALLY good, and you want people to see them, and offer, etc, then the forum is a good place. I usually have fully trained horse auctions in the sales forum.
If you don't want to take the time to auction it off, you can just put it for sale. Or you can "Double" it. Put it for sale and advertise in the forum. I usually make a forum page if I have more than 2 horses for sale.

I will go ahead and do an example ad for you:
All that Jazz

Pure Thoroughbred mare +3 for sale! 2 golds (Speed, Intelligence) 1 green (Agility)!
This is a beautiful Palomino Thoroughbred that has a very useful confo that consists of:
Speed 63
Strength 25
Stamina 35
Intelligence conformation does not affect intelligence
Balance 23
Movement 24
Agility 33
Tempo 16
She is very pretty, and has a nice, refined face. She has beautiful babies, too. She has ALMOST 60k GPm which is a great addition. She is HIGH STRUNG which is very nice.
She is up for sale for 100k OBO! I accept offers, but none under 65k. :D
I play everyday, so feel free to throw an offer at me if you like her!
Thank you and enjoy your day.

Hope this helped! I warned you I type HUGE things. If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask me! I will answer ANY. Also, I have a gift for you!
*2 FREE training from me. Redeem whenever you want. :D Enjoy.

P.s. I'm just curious for something I help out with, how much money do you have on HW if you don't mind me asking? I'm not a stalker or hacker, so don't worry. If you suspect me, ask other players around here... I don't hack or stalk Hahaha. :mrgreen:
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

LadyRuthven wrote:
Just a note on your TBs. If you're selling them for racing and high prices for them ($100k+) you really need to look at their speed conformation score. The champion stallion you posted only has a 51 in his speed confo. You need at least 60, usually closer to 63-64, for a horse advertised as a racer to sell well.
LadyRuthven
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by LadyRuthven »

sawd10 wrote:...
Thank you so much for your awesome response! :D
I can't tell you how much this helps me. I know now what I need to do for my Spanish Jennet here. I admit that I hate the graying and varnish too! Lol I'm going to definitely work on adding in new coloring and as well as getting the stats up as I go. I'm still processing everything you provided so I'll have more questions for sure on how to achieve my goals.

I really love my Spanish Jennet's and it's been my proudest project on here. I just want to add some real value to them so that others can also benefit from them as well. I know that they can be so useful for crossbreeding into new breeds so I love being a part if that.

And you are so sweet to offer some free training. I will for sure take you up on that once I get my Jennets on the right track for sure. :)

I may ping you every once in a while if I need some guidance since you are so knowledgeable with this stuff. I promise not to be a pest. Lol

As far as money, I am pretty low to be honest. I have to watch every penny right now. On this account I'm at 65k and on Lady Byron I'm at 30k (but it's a newer account). It sucks but I keep plugging away.

Thanks again! You rock! :)
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

LadyRuthven wrote:
sawd10 wrote:...
Thank you so much for your awesome response! :D
I can't tell you how much this helps me. I know now what I need to do for my Spanish Jennet here. I admit that I hate the graying and varnish too! Lol I'm going to definitely work on adding in new coloring and as well as getting the stats up as I go. I'm still processing everything you provided so I'll have more questions for sure on how to achieve my goals.

I really love my Spanish Jennet's and it's been my proudest project on here. I just want to add some real value to them so that others can also benefit from them as well. I know that they can be so useful for crossbreeding into new breeds so I love being a part if that.

And you are so sweet to offer some free training. I will for sure take you up on that once I get my Jennets on the right track for sure. :)

I may ping you every once in a while if I need some guidance since you are so knowledgeable with this stuff. I promise not to be a pest. Lol

As far as money, I am pretty low to be honest. I have to watch every penny right now. On this account I'm at 65k and on Lady Byron I'm at 30k (but it's a newer account). It sucks but I keep plugging away.

Thanks again! You rock! :)
You're welcome. :D The greying and varnish is definitely not very pretty. Especially with the LP on top of it all. :) Your Jennts are nice, otherwise. :D Yes, I think that a good idea would be to add in some new genes. Maybe buy a new stallion or mare off the market and use it, or use studs. Of course, ask any questions, I love to help. :) And I don't care wether it is 'pesty' or not. I enjoy helping. :mrgreen: Yep, just ping me and redeem the trainings whenever you want! Just so you know, I only play Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ATM. And thank you for taking me up on that, that's very kind. I am sure your Spanish Jennet program will turn out very well!
I think that new gene wise, the horses should have a couple highlighted stats AT LEAST. And good hgp, because if it is bad, it gets in the way a lot. Find genes without Graying, varnish, and LP. They should also have a 4* or 5* evaluation, as well. What are you wanting your Jennets to be good at compitition wise?

I can help you out if you see any Jennets off the market or studs that you like but you can't pay it or things like that, I'm here. :)

Also, I can give you 100k to help you out, because I was there and it is not fun to have money sucked away. Even though I may be considered "Rich" to some, I am losing a lot of money right now.

Yep! If you have any questions, ask away. :) The questions do not even have to be related to our conversation right now XD.

~Sawd10
LadyRuthven
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by LadyRuthven »

Sawd10 wrote:...
You are so awesome for wanting to help. And yeah, the varnish and graying can be so annoying. I had created this herd from scratch using these 2 pretty Arabians that had the red and varnish originally as they had the spotting I wanted. But now all my horse are red varnish. Ugghhh! lol I can't seem to breed that out of them yet not get other colors. lol

I'm thinking of actually creating a whole new bloodline of solid colored ones (as they will probably sell better anyway) and get a fresh line going before trying for spots again (hopefully without varnish and graying). I need to find some really good Arabians to cross with the really good Sorrias out for studs (Sorrias are so hard to find to buy) and some nice North African Barbs too. I'm hoping to really breed in high HGP and stats (get to 70hgp and 6+ gold stats eventfully). What are some of those popular rare colors to go for you think? If you see any on the market that might make good Spanish jennets feel free to ping me.

I'd like to have them compete in Barrel Racing. They always do so well in the local shows under barrel racing and i think the breed itself really lends itself to the western disciplines anyway. Hey, do you know what temperament is best for barrel racers? I want to really try to keep them at the temperament. I'd be happy to work out a agreement to have you train for me once I get the herd going in the right direction. :D

I know it's going to take some time to get to that point with my herd but I love the challenge of it. I wish I had premium right now so I can check on confirmations on this. I am at 288 PT was almost there. I had premium not too long ago but it finally ran out. Sigh. lol

I've also completed everything in the horse ownership skills except the amount of horses you can own. I'm in the last leg of that with up to 155 horses. It's gotten really expensive now so i have to save up before getting that done.

The other thing I don't have is a Freezing account. My LadyByron is all Training (working through those skills right now) and some breeding for fun and of course this account is all breeding only. Do you think I need to get one just for freezing? How does all that work and how to you get it started, I mean like, do i just work on the the horse ownership skills for it and what horses do you decide go to the holding accounts? Studs? Just competing horses? What does everyone use theirs for? Sorry for the 20 questions. lol Someone should should make a guide for this. lol

And our schedules work good, cause I too am mostly on Fridays/Sat./Suns. I do try to login every day too check on stuff during my lunch break and sometimes at night too if i'm not busy, but I don't do my heavy playing time til the weekends.

You are so nice to offer some money to help me. I won't say no, but you definitely don't have too. lol That does bring up another question I have though. How do people give each other money in this games? lol Does everyone just put a horse up for offer and once the money goes in they just give the horse back? lol I have always wondered that. I wish this game did have an easy way to give money. If I ever get a lot more money, I'd like to help others with money too and do contests and such. That's the one thing about this game that gets frustrating. It's hard to make and keep money for sure!

Again, thanks for being so helpful. I look forward to chatting more and learning more too. You can always chat me up about anything. :)

That is it for now. Rambled a bit there. lol I'll start my search for a new Spanish Jennet bloodline to start now. TTYL :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 09, 2024 10:19 am

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:19 am