The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What should I feed my horses in a barn?

Leopard Horse
Visit My Farm

What should I feed my horses in a barn?

Post by Leopard Horse »

I am questing what should I feed my competing horses that are in my barn. I don't want them to lose weight.
Red Cheetah 2
Location: Louisiana, USA...on the back of my horse or unintentionally bothering my cats :-)
Visit My Farm

Re: What should I feed my horses in a barn?

Post by Red Cheetah 2 »

Leopard Horse wrote:I am questing what should I feed my competing horses that are in my barn. I don't want them to lose weight.
To maintain a horse's weight I put them on 100% weight gain mix when in the barn. They won't lose or gain any weight that way.
Leopard Horse
Visit My Farm

Post by Leopard Horse »

Conletra83_Second wrote:
Leopard Horse wrote:I am questing what should I feed my competing horses that are in my barn. I don't want them to lose weight.
To maintain a horse's weight I put them on 100% weight gain mix when in the barn. They won't lose or gain any weight that way.
Thank you so much!!
Red Cheetah 2
Location: Louisiana, USA...on the back of my horse or unintentionally bothering my cats :-)
Visit My Farm

Post by Red Cheetah 2 »

Leopard Horse wrote:
Conletra83_Second wrote: To maintain a horse's weight I put them on 100% weight gain mix when in the barn. They won't lose or gain any weight that way.
Thank you so much!!
You're welcome :D
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

This is actually a more complicated question than it seems, as the horses are in competition. Check out my feeding guide here.

What are you competing them in? Different disciplines have different temperaments that do better than others, and feed controls temperament.

For example, racing disciplines prefer horses at High Strung temperament. To achieve this I will personally do 100% performance mix. Performance mix is better for achieving and maintaining the high strung temperament than weight gain mix. If you're doing a discipline like Dressage you'll want something closer to Moderate and Calm, in which case you'd be better off putting the horse in a pasture until it is Bombproof and then putting it in a barn on a mix of Alfalfa Cubes and Performance Mix.

Also, when in a barn if a horse is fed 100% of any feed or mix of feeds it will maintain its weight as long as the value for Max Feed is greater than or equal to the larger end of the Regular Feed. The Max Feed value is how much your horse can eat in a day. The Regular Feed value is how much of the food your horse is currently is on it needs to eat to maintain weight and energy.

For example, this horse would lose weight because its Max Feed value (19.5) is less than the high end of its Regular Feed value (35.5).
So this horse can only eat a maximum of 19.5kg per day. But to maintain weight and energy it would need to eat 35.5kg of grass and hay. The horse simply doesn't have enough room in its stomach to eat that much!

How much you can feed will depend on whether your horse is an easy keeper or a hard keeper. Hard keepers eat a lot more in one day than easy keepers.

So it's really not an easy question. :? Let me know if you want more in-depth info (that's not in the above guide).
Leopard Horse
Visit My Farm

Post by Leopard Horse »

Silverine wrote:
This is actually a more complicated question than it seems, as the horses are in competition. Check out my feeding guide here.

What are you competing them in? Different disciplines have different temperaments that do better than others, and feed controls temperament.

For example, racing disciplines prefer horses at High Strung temperament. To achieve this I will personally do 100% performance mix. Performance mix is better for achieving and maintaining the high strung temperament than weight gain mix. If you're doing a discipline like Dressage you'll want something closer to Moderate and Calm, in which case you'd be better off putting the horse in a pasture until it is Bombproof and then putting it in a barn on a mix of Alfalfa Cubes and Performance Mix.

Also, when in a barn if a horse is fed 100% of any feed or mix of feeds it will maintain its weight as long as the value for Max Feed is greater than or equal to the larger end of the Regular Feed. The Max Feed value is how much your horse can eat in a day. The Regular Feed value is how much of the food your horse is currently is on it needs to eat to maintain weight and energy.

For example, this horse would lose weight because its Max Feed value (19.5) is less than the high end of its Regular Feed value (35.5).
So this horse can only eat a maximum of 19.5kg per day. But to maintain weight and energy it would need to eat 35.5kg of grass and hay. The horse simply doesn't have enough room in its stomach to eat that much!

How much you can feed will depend on whether your horse is an easy keeper or a hard keeper. Hard keepers eat a lot more in one day than easy keepers.

So it's really not an easy question. :? Let me know if you want more in-depth info (that's not in the above guide).
Thanks, I get it now if I have any more questions I will ask!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 am