Community Forum

Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper! Current Stage: BABY IS HERE

Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Take a journey with Silverine. Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper!

Post by Silverine »

Yeah, I don't think it's really hit me yet. I was so stressed out leading up to today, and was definitely excited with the ultrasound, but now I'm home and my brain is just like "well, this is no different" so I'm not really sure what to do. :lol:

Then I remind myself that at this point I don't actually need to do anything. I've got to set up the June appointment for the 60-day ultrasound but other than that it's all on Mojo. My vet office also recommends dental work at the 60-day mark so I'll see what can be done with that. I'm not sure if the vet I've had coming out for ultrasounds actually does dental work - I think she's just for repro stuff - so I'd have to set up a different appointment for the teeth. And it would probably make sense to have Jet's teeth done then, too. He's due.
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Take a journey with Silverine. Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper!

Post by KingstonDressage »

Silverine wrote:Yeah, I don't think it's really hit me yet. I was so stressed out leading up to today, and was definitely excited with the ultrasound, but now I'm home and my brain is just like "well, this is no different" so I'm not really sure what to do. :lol:

Then I remind myself that at this point I don't actually need to do anything. I've got to set up the June appointment for the 60-day ultrasound but other than that it's all on Mojo. My vet office also recommends dental work at the 60-day mark so I'll see what can be done with that. I'm not sure if the vet I've had coming out for ultrasounds actually does dental work - I think she's just for repro stuff - so I'd have to set up a different appointment for the teeth. And it would probably make sense to have Jet's teeth done then, too. He's due.
Hey! I've been quite silent, although I've been following your journey with Mojo. I just wanted to say how cool it has been to see all of the 'steps' you've done! I've really enjoyed following along and can't wait for Mojo's foal! :)
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

KingstonDressage wrote: Hey! I've been quite silent, although I've been following your journey with Mojo. I just wanted to say how cool it has been to see all of the 'steps' you've done! I've really enjoyed following along and can't wait for Mojo's foal! :)
I'm so glad you've been enjoying the journey! I've really loved sharing it with everyone. :D Even through the not-so-great parts, it's been great to be able to share with other horse enthusiasts.

I can't wait, either! The sooner it's here the sooner I can stop worrying about what's going on in there! :lol:
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:Ahahahaha!!!!!

Jig-itty jig. :P
Potentially three weeks until baby picture! (Or rather embryo picture, but same dif.)
Can you believe the posts quoted here were written almost a year ago? Little did we know... :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper! Current Stage: First Trimester

Post by BlackOak2 »

-_-
I'm one of those that would rather not think about time. Time into the future or time of the past.

But, yes! It's certainly been quite some time! Quite the ride! Ahem... pun intended! :lol:

Mojo certainly has a broad back! Ahah! :P Carrying all of the HWO stalkers! Eheh!

Teeth certainly are important. I think, when I used to ride, the area I lived in, actually had a horse dentist... so don't know if it's required to be a vet to do teeth or not? Could be like a farrier or something? Out of my purview! :D
Every time somebody mentions teeth in a horse, I can't help but remember this one short video of a older teen barrel racing her mare (or gelding? don't remember now), but the video shows that every time she lifted on the reins, the horse would throw its head. The first barrel was good, the second barrel, she lifted and jerked to the left, aiming for the third barrel and the horse threw its head again, then flipped. She survived alright, though there were a few scary moments when the horse got up and her foot was still in the stirrup.
Anyway, afterward, the voice snippet said something along the lines of 'The teeth needed work, who knew?' -_- I paraphrased a little on the 'idiot' side, but it came off just as badly.
So... teeth are important! :D But I knew that from before; strange how certain things get stuck in the mind and linked to certain phrases.
Anyway... I've also heard of many brood owners getting mare teeth done somewhere right in the middle of term or even just before. Something about maximizing their chances of eating all the food and nutrients or something. But... I'd probably do it too! :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper! Current Stage: First Trimester

Post by Silverine »

Did I ever tell you that Mojo is missing a tooth? I thought I had, but maybe not. One of her upper teeth, second from the outside, I think on her right but I could be wrong (I don't have her mouth in front of my to check :lol:). She's obviously been missing it for a long time, and there's no indication of how she lost it. Whether she's been missing it since birth, or maybe got kicked in the face as a baby, or maybe had to have it removed for some reason. It's just not there. But its absence has also caused uneven wear on her teeth - the upper teeth on the side with the gap are much more worn than on the other side so all of her teeth sort of slant. It doesn't effect her in any way right now - no pain that we can detect, no issues eating or grazing, etc - but she'll almost certainly be a horse that needs an altered diet in her older years to accommodate her teeth. I don't think her molars are effected, but she'll eventually have a hard time clipping grass and hay.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Update
Just a small one this time.

Mojo's 60-day ultrasound has been scheduled. It will be June 10th @ 10:30 AM EDT. :) If all as well at this ultrasound the fetus should actually be recognizable as a horse! And if it's correctly positioned we will be able to tell the gender.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:o
Missing a tooth???
Well, many animals can be missing teeth.
I caught... I think it was Lonestar Law... the wildlife officer was checking up on a hunter's take, a buck (11 points or something)... and the hunter opens the buck's mouth and says, take a look at this deer, he's missing all of his upper front teeth!
Yup, he was, apparently, the biologist says, it looks like he's always not had them. How'd he survive? Apparently eating grasses mostly. That deer wouldn't be the only animals that's missing upper fronts. Sheep don't have any upper fronts either.

A little funny how some things occur, for sure.

Gender... do we want to know the gender? The community? Will there be a contest? Shame we can't see spots in the ultrasound! :lol: But that would certainly spoil ALL of the surprise! :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I think I want to know. But I might be able to tell anyway from all of the research and sonogram-reading I've been doing. :P There's this little fetus part called the genital tubercle and basically if it's up by the tail the foal will be a filly and if it's down near the belly it'll be a colt. Of course there's always the chance of misinterpreting the image or the fetus just being in the wrong position for it to be seen.

There's also the option of trans-abdominal ultrasound between days 100~200 to check the gender. But after day 200 (or earlier in some cases) you won't be able to tell and will just have to wait until it's born. So I think I want to at least get like an envelope or something with the prediction so that I have the option of knowing, even if we're not able to tell.
Last edited by Silverine on Wed May 12, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

LOL
Somehow, that is really funny to me! :D
And something I'd probably do myself too... because after all, some things need to be bought in the right colors! And excitement needs to be built for the right thing... "He's coming on X/2022!"
"She'll be a tall foal, just like her mother!"

Yeah. :twisted:

If there were a contest, it'd certainly be fun to add that to the guessing stage, but there will also be the chance of slip-ups happening. I'd slip-up, I think, at least to one or two players. :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue May 07, 2024 8:02 am

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:02 am