The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Childhood Stories of Accidental Oops And Other Short Funnies

Aurelia
Visit My Farm

Re: Childhood Stories of Accidental Oops And Other Short Funnies

Post by Aurelia »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Chips wrote: I have two. When I first got my horse when I was 5, I was soooo happy. I’d been riding my moms horse, and a half dead pony my friend had, and she got a horse. I was so jealous u til my dad said I was old enough, and I fell in love with him. Of course i named him Chips, because I was 5. But he’s very bouncy. To bad I didn’t know that. The first time I ever rode him, I asked him to canter and I flew off. But then I got back on, and fell off the other side. If only I listen when my dad said no. But my moms horse is super easy and smooth, so I assumed my horse would be the same. Second story. So. We had a barbecue. Me and my friend did dumb stuff on our horses for hours and then we were laughing at my horse for tripping. But later I tripped and grabbed them burning wood in the fire pit. My stupid horse looked like he was laughing at me. And third story. A few weeks ago I got a new saddle pad, because my old one is gray. It used to be pink. But it was clean white. I decided to go ride before it got to dark, and I tried to hurry, because it was after dinner. First day using my saddle pad, I didn’t tighten my girth. When we were cantering, it slid sideways, and I fell off and he kicked so much dirt on my new white saddle pad. Last night I finally cleaned it.
:o :lol:
You survived! Good thing. :D

Bouncy-style horses are often easier to post to. 'English' versus 'Western' styles... or that's the way it was first described to me.

Fire pit's are... hot. :P Didn't you know that? ;)
But I still, to this day, think 'glass doesn't get hot in the oven', and need to remind myself almost every time 'Yes It Does. Don't Touch That!'

White never stays white for long. We all learn this. :P Welcome to the party. :mrgreen:

Good stories! Thank you for sharing. 8-)
thanks lol. And no I wasn’t aware that fire pits are hot. Do tell. :lol: And ah. My poor saddle pad. And he’s so bouncy posting is hard. You fly up and land hard. Lots of leg and control. Sitting trot? Heck no. And here’s a tutorial on how to jump like a horse https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XQqRrVQlknE
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Chips wrote: thanks lol. And no I wasn’t aware that fire pits are hot. Do tell. :lol: And ah. My poor saddle pad. And he’s so bouncy posting is hard. You fly up and land hard. Lots of leg and control. Sitting trot? Heck no. And here’s a tutorial on how to jump like a horse https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XQqRrVQlknE
Once you understand the concept of the post, it's no longer 'lift up out of the saddle and hold then let down', it's more of a simple: 'tense the legs when you get bounced and then release'. For super 'bouncy' horses, the simple leg-tense is the perfect countermeasure. Although... it does take time to get used to the rhythm. Much more work to get a handle on the leg-tense, then it is to actually learn the skill of posting! :lol:

Next time, give it a good try and see what happens. The post isn't about throwing yourself out of the saddle, like a bunny-hop, it's about a 'rest' for your horse's back, so you're not slapping him with your butt with each step. In fact, eventually, the smaller you can make the actual post, while still maintaining the rhythm, the better 'equitation' you'll be able to achieve.

But like I said, learning the rhythm on a bouncy horse is... difficult! I got bounced around the saddle quite a few times until I learned it too. :lol: Luckily though, I was able to stay on the horse. :D

If you really want to see about getting it down, try ground rails. By using them while on your horse (trotting over them), your horse will actually create a longer pause on each step. It lengthens the time for your post, making it seem more bouncy, but much slower bouncy.

But that's entirely up to you. :mrgreen:

That video is cute. But I think she should remember to keep her elbows Not locked on the moment of landing. The muscles should be taking the brunt of the landing, not the joints or the bones. She's not a horse and doesn't have the same conformation. :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Aurelia
Visit My Farm

Post by Aurelia »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Chips wrote: thanks lol. And no I wasn’t aware that fire pits are hot. Do tell. :lol: And ah. My poor saddle pad. And he’s so bouncy posting is hard. You fly up and land hard. Lots of leg and control. Sitting trot? Heck no. And here’s a tutorial on how to jump like a horse https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XQqRrVQlknE
Once you understand the concept of the post, it's no longer 'lift up out of the saddle and hold then let down', it's more of a simple: 'tense the legs when you get bounced and then release'. For super 'bouncy' horses, the simple leg-tense is the perfect countermeasure. Although... it does take time to get used to the rhythm. Much more work to get a handle on the leg-tense, then it is to actually learn the skill of posting! :lol:

Next time, give it a good try and see what happens. The post isn't about throwing yourself out of the saddle, like a bunny-hop, it's about a 'rest' for your horse's back, so you're not slapping him with your butt with each step. In fact, eventually, the smaller you can make the actual post, while still maintaining the rhythm, the better 'equitation' you'll be able to achieve.

But like I said, learning the rhythm on a bouncy horse is... difficult! I got bounced around the saddle quite a few times until I learned it too. :lol: Luckily though, I was able to stay on the horse. :D

If you really want to see about getting it down, try ground rails. By using them while on your horse (trotting over them), your horse will actually create a longer pause on each step. It lengthens the time for your post, making it seem more bouncy, but much slower bouncy.

But that's entirely up to you. :mrgreen:

That video is cute. But I think she should remember to keep her elbows Not locked on the moment of landing. The muscles should be taking the brunt of the landing, not the joints or the bones. She's not a horse and doesn't have the same conformation. :D
lol thanks for the tip. I just post lightly and don’t go so high up. Like being one with the horse. Lol. But my poor sister. She has a fjord pony. That mare is mean. She’s so smooth and fun, but she bites and kicks. And my sister can’t ride her yet. I’m schooling her, because she’s lazy. But if you smack her butt or use a crop she bucks and kicks.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Chips wrote: lol thanks for the tip. I just post lightly and don’t go so high up. Like being one with the horse. Lol. But my poor sister. She has a fjord pony. That mare is mean. She’s so smooth and fun, but she bites and kicks. And my sister can’t ride her yet. I’m schooling her, because she’s lazy. But if you smack her butt or use a crop she bucks and kicks.
Have you ever heard of the carrot-stick approach? (Note: This is a technique that I learned, it is Not Mine)
It's defined by 'Please.' 'Pretty Please' 'Pretty Please, with a cherry on top.'
But it's not the way it sounds. You ask, ask again and then give them their 'reward'.
How it goes is, if you're asking a stubborn horse... to... let's say walk. You squeeze with the appropriate pressure. And the horse refuses. Then you 'demand' with additional pressure and maybe even a light, swift kick. The horse refuses. Then they get a singular very swift crop on shoulder or rump as their 'reward' and the process starts again. The trick is, to not let fear get in the way and never, of course, let frustration rule your actions.
The more the horse tries to get 'their way' the more you 'work them' until they comply. Chances are YOU'LL be exhausted well before they are, but even if you get sloppy in the saddle, as long as you outlast them, you'll still be winning that battle.

She's getting away with bucking and kicking, because it's worked in the past. She does either, her rider gets scared, she can go over to that Lovely little grass patch and eat. When she tries throwing such nonsense at you again, spin her, make her canter until she wants to stop herself, then give it a few more rounds until YOU decide to stop her and so on. Or some other irritating move she doesn't like, like backing until she 'sits down'. Of course, this is assuming she's healthy and sound.
She might get extremely irritable and she might throw a lot more at you. It depends on how ingrained the habits are. And of course, make sure you don't get in over your head. A horse that throws some kicks and crow hops, but does nothing beyond that is safe enough, but one that tries to flip over with you on their back, Is Not Safe and should only be dealt with by a very experienced professional.

When you have her ride-able for your sister again, remember that the mare will likely try the same old habits with her. But they'll be a lot less harsh. You'll need to talk your sister through it. Talk her up and give her courage to 'ride with it' and get the mare through it. Once the mare realizes it doesn't work anymore, she'll likely give it up permanently.
Stick with it though, some mares are as stubborn as we humans are. You'll need to be obstinate and more stubborn than she is. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Aurelia
Visit My Farm

Post by Aurelia »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Chips wrote: lol thanks for the tip. I just post lightly and don’t go so high up. Like being one with the horse. Lol. But my poor sister. She has a fjord pony. That mare is mean. She’s so smooth and fun, but she bites and kicks. And my sister can’t ride her yet. I’m schooling her, because she’s lazy. But if you smack her butt or use a crop she bucks and kicks.
Have you ever heard of the carrot-stick approach? (Note: This is a technique that I learned, it is Not Mine)
It's defined by 'Please.' 'Pretty Please' 'Pretty Please, with a cherry on top.'
But it's not the way it sounds. You ask, ask again and then give them their 'reward'.
How it goes is, if you're asking a stubborn horse... to... let's say walk. You squeeze with the appropriate pressure. And the horse refuses. Then you 'demand' with additional pressure and maybe even a light, swift kick. The horse refuses. Then they get a singular very swift crop on shoulder or rump as their 'reward' and the process starts again. The trick is, to not let fear get in the way and never, of course, let frustration rule your actions.
The more the horse tries to get 'their way' the more you 'work them' until they comply. Chances are YOU'LL be exhausted well before they are, but even if you get sloppy in the saddle, as long as you outlast them, you'll still be winning that battle.

She's getting away with bucking and kicking, because it's worked in the past. She does either, her rider gets scared, she can go over to that Lovely little grass patch and eat. When she tries throwing such nonsense at you again, spin her, make her canter until she wants to stop herself, then give it a few more rounds until YOU decide to stop her and so on. Or some other irritating move she doesn't like, like backing until she 'sits down'. Of course, this is assuming she's healthy and sound.
She might get extremely irritable and she might throw a lot more at you. It depends on how ingrained the habits are. And of course, make sure you don't get in over your head. A horse that throws some kicks and crow hops, but does nothing beyond that is safe enough, but one that tries to flip over with you on their back, Is Not Safe and should only be dealt with by a very experienced professional.

When you have her ride-able for your sister again, remember that the mare will likely try the same old habits with her. But they'll be a lot less harsh. You'll need to talk your sister through it. Talk her up and give her courage to 'ride with it' and get the mare through it. Once the mare realizes it doesn't work anymore, she'll likely give it up permanently.
Stick with it though, some mares are as stubborn as we humans are. You'll need to be obstinate and more stubborn than she is. :mrgreen:
yeah that’s what I do. I don’t want her to fear me. I want her to know that I’m in charge. But her bucks don’t scare me luckily. She only bucks at crops, but I usually stay on. My dad helps, but she’s not to bad usually. Usually she kicks or crow hops.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Chips wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

yeah that’s what I do. I don’t want her to fear me. I want her to know that I’m in charge. But her bucks don’t scare me luckily. She only bucks at crops, but I usually stay on. My dad helps, but she’s not to bad usually. Usually she kicks or crow hops.
I didn't mean her to fear you. That's not usually the problem. When fixing horse issues, it's usually the rider fearing the horse. That's what generally causes issues, or causes issues to explode. :D

But it sounds like you got it going good. She's not fearful of the crop. If she keeps doing it, regardless of how much you've been working with her, it might be time to through in something extra, because it's not getting through. There are many ways to get it fixed. Keep going. :mrgreen:

I'd suggest the spin. Rather, a tight, quick circle, when she bucks or kicks after the crop. Usually that requires a bit of 'Pretty Please' encouragement to keep the speed up while you ...ehem... pull her into a little 9 foot circle for about 15 or 20 spins. And don't forget, both ways are available, right circles and left circles. That would be my next step, personally. And maybe even with a little crop backup. Can't kick and crow hop and turn in a circle while keeping the body upright and moving forward! :lol: Funny image though. :mrgreen:
But of course, if you're currently getting somewhere, then ignore my suggestions and keep going with how it's working for you.

The horse I needed to work with, needed a western change-up (from english), a lot of stops, sleepy-standing times and slow work. So each horse works differently. :mrgreen: He became quite a nice beginners western horse. Not quite a school-master but just about as safe as a school-master. Shame nobody wanted to learn western in that barn. :roll:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Aurelia
Visit My Farm

Post by Aurelia »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Chips wrote: yeah that’s what I do. I don’t want her to fear me. I want her to know that I’m in charge. But her bucks don’t scare me luckily. She only bucks at crops, but I usually stay on. My dad helps, but she’s not to bad usually. Usually she kicks or crow hops.
I didn't mean her to fear you. That's not usually the problem. When fixing horse issues, it's usually the rider fearing the horse. That's what generally causes issues, or causes issues to explode. :D

But it sounds like you got it going good. She's not fearful of the crop. If she keeps doing it, regardless of how much you've been working with her, it might be time to through in something extra, because it's not getting through. There are many ways to get it fixed. Keep going. :mrgreen:

I'd suggest the spin. Rather, a tight, quick circle, when she bucks or kicks after the crop. Usually that requires a bit of 'Pretty Please' encouragement to keep the speed up while you ...ehem... pull her into a little 9 foot circle for about 15 or 20 spins. And don't forget, both ways are available, right circles and left circles. That would be my next step, personally. And maybe even with a little crop backup. Can't kick and crow hop and turn in a circle while keeping the body upright and moving forward! :lol: Funny image though. :mrgreen:
But of course, if you're currently getting somewhere, then ignore my suggestions and keep going with how it's working for you.

The horse I needed to work with, needed a western change-up (from english), a lot of stops, sleepy-standing times and slow work. So each horse works differently. :mrgreen: He became quite a nice beginners western horse. Not quite a school-master but just about as safe as a school-master. Shame nobody wanted to learn western in that barn. :roll:
I’ll try that lol. Lucky me, she normally bucks me in a circle. I don’t even have to try.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Chips wrote: I’ll try that lol. Lucky me, she normally bucks me in a circle. I don’t even have to try.
:lol:
Hah! She'll make you make her work harder, easier for you! :mrgreen:

Don't forget the maniacal laugh when you win. :twisted:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Aurelia
Visit My Farm

Post by Aurelia »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Chips wrote: I’ll try that lol. Lucky me, she normally bucks me in a circle. I don’t even have to try.
Hah! She'll make you make her work harder, easier for you! :mrgreen:

Don't forget the maniacal laugh when you win. :twisted:
wut? Why? I do that anyways :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Mwahahahaha!! :twisted: