Community Forum

A few training tips

h0rsey
Location: Anywhere the wind blows (doesn't really matter to meeeeee)
Visit My Farm

A few training tips

Post by h0rsey »

These are just a couple of tips that I find very useful when training.

1. Getting up to high strung

Keep the horse in a pasture when you first start training it (if newborn-10 months). At 6 months old, change the feeding to yellow corn, make sure they are getting 99-103% daily energy, or if your able to, put them in a barn and give them 100% weight gain mix. You may want to give them more or less feed, depending on what you want their weight to look like.

Once they reach 10 months, put them in a barn and give them 60% yellow corn, 40% weight gain mix. If they are too small to do this yet (I’ve found that smaller horses need to eat less than the bigger ones), either keep them on pasture still getting 99-103% daily energy or they can go to the barn and give them 100% weight gain mix. Temperament may be harder to change with a short horse like this). Yellow corn is probably the easiest way to raise temperament, however if you give horses under the age of 2 too much yellow corn, then their weight will eventually drop down to poor (although, it depends on the size of the horse). You do not want to have red squares around the numbers, then the horse is eating too much food and will actually lose weight instead of gaining it.

Continue training until the horse reaches 2 years. If he/she is not to high strung yet, put on 100% yellow corn. If the horse is on high strung, put it on either 100% performance mix OR 100% weight gain mix in a barn. Usually it take me 2 years, 5 months to train a horse, the horse should be spirited to high strung by then. If not, it’s probably because the horse is stuck on bombproof or is just hard to move from calm or even tempered.

2. Keeping your horse at a certain temperament

If you need your horse to stay at a certain temperament (besides high strung or bombproof), then put the horse in a pasture. At 6 months, change temperament using either yellow corn (to get temp up) or performance mix (to get temp down). Make the weight is what you want, and if it has the desired weight, give it 99-103% daily energy. Once the horse is at the temperament you want, make sure it’s still getting 99-103% daily energy, and give it yellow corn. The next turn, switch the feed to performance mix OR alfalfa depending on the age of the horse (younger horses under 2 give performance). The next turn, switch it to yellow corn again. Keep doing this and the temp will stay the same. However, if the temp does raise or lower, keep it on either yellow corn or performance mix/alfalfa for the next few turns. Once the temperament changes again, keep switching off between the two feeds (Example: if you want a horse at even tempered and it’s temp goes up to spirited, switch it to performance mix or alfalfa and keep it at the same feed for the next couple of turns. Then, go back to switching the feeds every turn again). Keep your horse in a pasture this whole process, don’t switch them to a barn even if they are 2 years or older.

Regular training method

This comes from the ~DWM~ Training Guide and it is the most common training method used on HWO.

1. Lunge on flat (walk, arena)
2. Collection and impulsion (walk, arena)
3. Jumping obstacles (walk, arena)
4. Ground poles (walk, arena)
5. Lunge on flat (walk, arena)

3. Training in every stat except speed

Training in every stat but speed can be tricky. I’ve found a method that can get the horse done fast and it prevents the horse from being trained in speed. I use this method a lot when I train my western pleasure quarter horses, because it is a discipline that does not require the horse to have speed. If you’re trying to train a racehorse, this would obviously not be necessary.

3. Ground poles (walk, arena)
4. Bending and serpentines (walk, arena)
5. Pull a cart (walk, arena)

Make sure you are at a walk in the arena the whole time. It usually takes me a whole month less then it would normally to train a horse in every stat.

4. Training a racehorse

I recently found this method to train racehorses, it makes the horse trained in every stat except movement and intelligence. Usually this takes 2 whole months less than it does for me to use my regular method.

1. Lunge on flat, until 99.8% stamina (walk, arena)
2. Jumping obstacles (walk, arena)
3. Lunge on flat (gallop, arena)
4. Pull a cart (walk, arena)

This method is used on racers, don’t use it on horses who you want to do dressage, or western disciplines that require intelligence or movement. It works well for all racing disciplines, including endurance, harness racing, racing, spring racing, and steeplechasing. It may also work for barrel racing, cross country, obstacle driving, and show jumping (disciplines that do not require movement or intelligence)

More racehorse methods

I've tested multiple racehorse methods on my horses. The first one only takes me 2 years, 2 months to complete, and the second takes me 2 years, 4 months to complete.

This one should finish with being trained in speed, strength, stamina, tempo, and balance. Intelligence, movement, and agility will stay at 1% by using this method.

2. Lunge on flat (gallop, arena)
3. Pull a cart (walk, arena)

This one will train your horse in every stat except movement.

2. Lunge over jumps (walk, arena)

If you are trying to get on the low end of high strung, finish training the horse in whatever method you want. If started at newborn or any age under 6 months, put in a pasture until 6 months. At 6 months give it 100% weight gain mix and keep it in a pasture if the weight is not moderate (weight will lower to mod thin by 10 months). Once at moderate, move to a barn at 100% weight gain mix. At 10 months, usually the horse will have dropped down to mod thin (if not, give 95% until at correct weight). Keep the horse in a barn and give it 60% yellow corn, and 40% weight gain mix. Age to 2 years. If the horse is high strung at 2 years, put in a pasture and give it alfalfa or performance mix. Once temp drops to spirited, put it back in a barn, and make sure it is at the correct weight. Then give 100% yellow corn until the horse reaches high strung (you might want to reload every turn). If the horse is not high strung (calm, even tempered, or spirited) when it reaches 2 years, put in a barn at 100% yellow corn. The turn that the horse reaches high strung should be the perfect temperament for racing.

Useful training guides

Competition Information
~DWM~ Training Guide
Feeding for Weight and Temperament
Bitapetrone's Training Video (off site link)
Sawd10's Speed Training

**More will be added to this topic soon, I am experimenting with different horses to figure out new and faster methods**
Last edited by h0rsey on Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grand Prix Training
Visit My Farm

Re: A few training tips

Post by Grand Prix Training »

h0rsey wrote: :mrgreen:
Thanks so much h0rsey!
I will use this a-lot! :lol:
h0rsey
Visit My Farm

Post by h0rsey »

Bump
_Americanaa_
Visit My Farm

Post by _Americanaa_ »

h0rsey wrote:These are just a couple of tips that I find very useful when training.

Keep the horse in a pasture when you first start training it (if newborn-10 months). At 6 months old, change the feeding to yellow corn, make sure they are getting 99-103% daily energy, or if your able to, put them in a barn and give them 100% weight gain mix. You may want to give them more or less feed, depending on what you want their weight to look like.

Once they reach 10 months, put them in a barn and give them 60% yellow corn, 40% weight gain mix. If they are too small to do this yet (I’ve found that smaller horses need to eat less than the bigger ones), either keep them on pasture still getting 99-103% daily energy or they can go to the barn and give them 100% weight gain mix. Temperament may be harder to change with a short horse like this). Yellow corn is probably the easiest way to raise temperament, however if you give horses under the age of 2 too much yellow corn, then their weight will eventually drop down to poor (although, it depends on the size of the horse). You do not want to have red squares around the numbers, then the horse is eating too much food and will actually lose weight instead of gaining it.

Continue training until the horse reaches 2 years. If he/she is not to high strung yet, put on 100% yellow corn. If the horse is on high strung, put it on either 100% performance mix OR 100% weight gain mix in a barn. Usually it take me 2 years, 5 months to train a horse, the horse should be spirited to high strung by then. If not, it’s probably because the horse is stuck on bombproof or is just hard to move from calm or even tempered.

If you need your horse to stay at a certain temperament (besides high strung or bombproof), then put the horse in a pasture. At 6 months, change temperament using either yellow corn (to get temp up) or performance mix (to get temp down). Make the weight is what you want, and if it has the desired weight, give it 99-103% daily energy. Once the horse is at the temperament you want, make sure it’s still getting 99-103% daily energy, and give it yellow corn. The next turn, switch the feed to performance mix OR alfalfa depending on the age of the horse (younger horses under 2 give performance). The next turn, switch it to yellow corn again. Keep doing this and the temp will stay the same. However, if the temp does raise or lower, keep it on either yellow corn or performance mix/alfalfa for the next few turns. Once the temperament changes again, keep switching off between the two feeds (Example: if you want a horse at even tempered and it’s temp goes up to spirited, switch it to performance mix or alfalfa and keep it at the same feed for the next couple of turns. Then, go back to switching the feeds every turn again). Keep your horse in a pasture this whole process, don’t switch them to a barn even if they are 2 years or older.

Training in every stat but speed can be tricky. I’ve found a method that can get the horse done fast and it prevents the horse from being trained in speed. I use this method a lot when I train my western pleasure quarter horses, because it is a discipline that does not require the horse to have speed. If you’re trying to train a racehorse, this would obviously not be necessary.

1. Lunge on flat
2. Collection and impulsion
3. Ground poles
4. Bending and serpentines
5. Pull a cart

Make sure you are at a walk in the arena the whole time. It usually takes me a whole month less then it would normally to train a horse in every stat.

4. Training a racehorse

I recently found this method to train racehorses, it makes the horse trained in every stat except movement and intelligence. Usually this takes 2 whole months less than it does for me to use my regular method.

1. Lunge on flat, until 99.8% stamina
2. Jumping obstacles
3. Lunge on flat (at a gallop)
4. Pull a cart

This method is used on racers, don’t use it on horses who you want to do dressage, or western disciplines that require intelligence or movement. It works well for all racing disciplines, including endurance, harness racing, racing, spring racing, and steeplechasing. It may also work for barrel racing, cross country, obstacle driving, and show jumping (disciplines that do not require movement or intelligence)

Also, check out these topics, they’re very helpful and I use them frequently.

Competition Information
~DWM~ Training Guide
MWAHAHA this is what i have needes! Tysm!!! As a trainer this will def help me!!
Dark Magic Rodeo Stables
"Breeding valid Thoroughbreds since 2019"

"I'm Way Too Young To Be This Stressed"
h0rsey
Visit My Farm

Post by h0rsey »

Updated with new racing methods
Crystalized_horse3
Visit My Farm

Post by Crystalized_horse3 »

_Americanaa_ wrote:
h0rsey wrote:These are just a couple of tips that I find very useful when training.

1. Lunge on flat
2. Collection and impulsion
3. Ground poles
4. Bending and serpentines
5. Pull a cart

4. Training a racehorse

1. Lunge on flat, until 99.8% stamina
2. Jumping obstacles
3. Lunge on flat (at a gallop)
4. Pull a cart

Also, check out these topics, they’re very helpful and I use them frequently.

Competition Information
~DWM~ Training Guide
MWAHAHA this is what i have needes! Tysm!!! As a trainer this will def help me!!
hey, (this is crystalized_horse) You were training a horse for me but it never got trained can you just sell it back to me?
crystalized_horse
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by crystalized_horse »

Regular training method

This comes from the ~DWM~ Training Guide and it is the most common training method used on HWO.

4. Ground poles (walk, arena)
5. Lunge on flat (walk, arena)

3. Ground poles (walk, arena)
4. Bending and serpentines (walk, arena)
5. Pull a cart (walk, arena)

4. Training a racehorse

1. Lunge on flat, until 99.8% stamina (walk, arena)
2. Jumping obstacles (walk, arena)
4. Pull a cart (walk, arena)

More racehorse methods

I've tested multiple racehorse methods on my horses. The first one only takes me 2 years, 2 months to complete, and the second takes me 2 years, 4 months to complete.

This one should finish with being trained in speed, strength, stamina, tempo, and balance. Intelligence, movement, and agility will stay at 1% by using this method.

2. Lunge on flat (gallop, arena)
3. Pull a cart (walk, arena)

This one will train your horse in every stat except movement.

2. Lunge over jumps (walk, arena)

If you are trying to get on the low end of high strung, finish training the horse in whatever method you want. If started at newborn or any age under 6 months, put in a pasture until 6 months. At 6 months give it 100% weight gain mix and keep it in a pasture if the weight is not moderate (weight will lower to mod thin by 10 months). Once at moderate, move to a barn at 100% weight gain mix. At 10 months, usually the horse will have dropped down to mod thin (if not, give 95% until at correct weight). Keep the horse in a barn and give it 60% yellow corn, and 40% weight gain mix. Age to 2 years. If the horse is high strung at 2 years, put in a pasture and give it alfalfa or performance mix. Once temp drops to spirited, put it back in a barn, and make sure it is at the correct weight. Then give 100% yellow corn until the horse reaches high strung (you might want to reload every turn). If the horse is not high strung (calm, even tempered, or spirited) when it reaches 2 years, put in a barn at 100% yellow corn. The turn that the horse reaches high strung should be the perfect temperament for racing.

Useful training guides

Competition Information
~DWM~ Training Guide
Bitapetrone's Training Video (off site link)
Sawd10's Speed Training

**More will be added to this topic soon, I am experimenting with different horses to figure out new and faster methods**
i just started training and this is helping me a lot, tysm! :D
Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself
A New day also means a new begining, Forget about ur past and have yourself a fresh start :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 am