Community Forum

Lets Talk About This Breed...:

ExRaceHorseChamp
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Lets Talk About This Breed...:

Post by ExRaceHorseChamp »

As you saw by the title we are talking about a horse breed today & not a person I know right wow any ways.

NOTE: You do NOT have to read this you may leave, but that's if you want idc

Today we are talking about the HalterBred horses.

Some people call them "Over bred" horses or "Halter Bred Quarter Horses" , I call them "Halter Bred" or "Halter Bred Quarter Horses" .

Now for those who don't know what this breed is , a Halter Bred horse is a horse with more muscle than others pretty much think of the body builder & than think of them has a horse with more muscle.

Now with that out of the way:

This is to pretty much everyone who doesn't own a Halter Bred or never ridden one:

Just about everyone one *at least everyone I know all say this* has or will say this to not only me but others who also own a Halter Bred : "Well what's the whole point? it can't do much" or they will say "Its a inbred , it's going to have some sort of problem like HYPP"

YES Most of all Halter Bred horses are in fact inbred , but not all of them have problems , HYPP first started back in 1989 , if not long before than.

HYPP FACT: "HYPP is a muscular disease caused by a known genetic mutation with an autosomal dominant mode of inheritance. Affected horses can exhibit signs that include muscle tremors, weakness, paralysis and collapse. The signs of HYPP can be confused with other diseases and conditions. A DNA test is available to confirm a diagnosis." https://ceh.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/health-t ... lysis-hypp

Now there are many ways to prevent HYPP from happening to horses , like regular exercise or turnout for horses , sometimes horses with HYPP can & most likely will be unstable while in a episode witch can be dangerous not only the horse but others around the horse , the horse could most likely trip , or fall , or do something that it wouldn't normally do, but if the horse is having a small or mild episode of HYPP you can walk them around for some time *I've had to do it for my Halter Bred many times* HYPP can be like colic , you don't want the horse to be eating anything while they are in any type of episode.

Some info on Halter Bred horses: Not all Halter Breds are the same , Yes they look fake in all the photos but when seen in person they look like a Quarter Horse. Image This is what people think a Halter Bred looks like

Image This is a American Quarter Horse , & yes I looked for both photos on different places :lol: , but they look alike , very very alike , some people will claim a Halter Bred can't do much due to being over muscled nor are they handled right or get good feed , but they can do much more than just stand in a halter class or being a horse look like of the Hulk , in barrel racing more muscle = to more speed , & some are better treated than humans , just like tbs , Halter Breds are treated a lot better , & just about all the ones you see in the big class shows they all get fed good grain brans, & no not all of them drugged like tb.* I'll talk about tb's about time*

Now for people who would like to say that I'm being top "Blunt" or too "Rude" or something I never once said you have to read this you can go look back up in the "NOTES" if you will :D .
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Lets Talk About This Breed...:

Post by Bitapetrone »

The info you posted is more opinion than fact.

That chestnut isn't what people think a halter-bred horse looks like. That is what a halter-bred horse looks like. And considering some of the monstrosities out there that horse is fairly tame. Straight legs but not complete posts. Head is funky (too small). Neck is okay, but despite the extreme slope in the wither this horse somehow manages to also have rather upright shoulders (bad motion range). He's a good example of why halter horses are bred for halter and not to be ridden. If this horse tried to do anything intense he'd have a bad time. This is all without even being able to see his feet. Halter-bred horses have notoriously bad feet.

This other horse is not a fair comparison. Quarter Horses are bred for so many different things these days that to compare a halter horse with a working horse is unrealistic. These horses also do not look similar conformation-wise. The black horse has a very pretty (mare?) normal-sized head. Her shoulder is sloping and her range of motion looks solid. Nice sturdy looking legs that match the body size (again, can't see the feet). Body is much more balanced and not aggressively downhill. Hind end is strong and looks able to pack a punch of speed with turning thrown in for good measure. This horse's back leg is not posted at all but looks able to compress and retract very well (Z spring action). Back may be a little long but I am having trouble seeing where that rib cage ends. This horse is vastly superior to the chestnut for any sort of work, and I am going to assume it's a barrel or rodeo horse based on the conformation but I could be wrong.

"More muscle = more speed" is just not correct. While related to fitness and muscle (enhancers), speed is directly tethered to conformation.

It's impossible to say which discipline treats their horses better, as it depends on the people around them. There are awful people in every* discipline and people who care in every* discipline. This is all without even talking about HYPP. Someone can do 5 minutes of research and see why HYPP is bad and why it is so prevalent in the industry.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Lets Talk About This Breed...:

Post by BlackOak2 »

Maybe I took it wrong, but when I read: 'More muscle = more speed' I read it as: 'some people think that more muscle equates to more speed, thus giving these horses an advantage and this is one of the reasons people tend to breed these types and this belief is faulty'.

But maybe I mistook that statement.

Plus... this over-musculation happens in a lot of different species. (Okay, note that the word 'musculation' isn't used correctly...) They're also called 'Double-Muscle'. And such a trait doesn't necessarily have an effect on an animals general life. However, some things do appear to be more common with these animals. Such things as getting tired faster and having some other related illnesses do tend to pop up.
The technical name for this is: Clehypertrophy and it's literal translation is: Double Muscle.

So, this double-muscle isn't necessarily the reason these horses can't perform in the ring, rather, their lack of performance is more likely directly related to other body issues.

Here's a couple more pictures of other-species that carry this trait:
Belgian Blue (cattle bred specifically for this trait):

Beltex Sheep (I think another gene sequence is responsible for the double muscle in both sheep and goats):

Dot (whippet if I'm not mistaken):

And contrary to what one may think, these animals don't necessarily eat additional food to sustain themselves either. By correctly utilizing such a double muscle trait, the world has increased it's total meat production. It is at times an ugly vision and there are different styles that produce different muscling capacities. But the gene responsible itself, is not necessarily responsible for other diseases that can be found side-by-side with it. Such animals are generally healthy and sound, apart from any inbreeding or poor-practice breeding outcomes.

Well... this was supposed to be just the way I read that one sentence, but it appears to have turned into something else... :lol: :roll:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 15, 2024 7:54 pm

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:54 pm