The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

IRL help

FantasyRanch2
Visit My Farm

IRL help

Post by FantasyRanch2 »

So I got a horse at my farm that I had last year and he was a bit of a pain last year. But this year I was doing ground work and he was being perfect and was winnying to me when I went in the pasture(he never did that last year)

But when I want to put my saddle pad on him he was like "what the heck is on my back!!!". Then he calmed down and I got the saddle on with no problems.

I took him to my outdoor arena and he was ok with all the ground work for the most part. He tested me a little but otherwise was good

But when I put his bridle on and wiggled the stir up (to see what he would do) he kept moving. So I kept right in the spot and position like I was going to get on. We went on like the for probably 10 mins till he settled down and I could get on.

I know when I got on that he was not listening to me and he was acting like everything was out to get him, but he didn't spook. I was trying to keep him on the rail but he keep drifting, so I put leg pressure to get him back on it, but he was going the wrong way when I was telling him to stay on the rail!

Anyway I was like ok let's try trotting (in past he was lazy so he had to listen to me). So I want into a trot, but he was drifting all over the place! And was not doing what I said. I saw his ears and he was not paying attention to me. I also noticed that he when I told him to trot he was acting like a something was behind him and he had to go go go! So I tried keeping my rains shorter and told him to trot. It seemed to work for a little, because he had to listen with the rains short.

On the short rain he was trotting but slower but still was not listening to what I said with what I was saying with leg and rain.

If anyone has any tips of what I can do to get him to focus on me when riding plz help :) I have a friend coming over this week to help but I would like to do more with him till then. Like I said he was good with all the ground work and was listening to me but when I'm on it's like a switch got hit and he lost all interest in me.

So if any of you guys can tell me what I can do to make him listen and pay attention to me I'd like any help I can get. Thx so much for your time :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: IRL help

Post by BlackOak2 »

If you're certain he's not in any pain (this could be what's happening, but the way you explain it, it doesn't sound like it)... it does sound like he's simply taking advantage of you and doing so, because he know he can get away with it.

What I can suggest, if you're sure of your skills and can manage some 'heavy' work...
Do the rail exercise again. let him move forward at his own pace (even if he's a bit fast). If he breaks stride into a faster movement (trot into a canter), stop him, turn him as quick as you can on the rail three or four times or more (keep the turns a random number, one, one time, three the next, seven the third time, two the fourth, so he doesn't anticipate your request). Then stand still, take a deep breath and start again.
If he drifts off the rail. Ask him once to get over. If he drifts more, spin him in the opposite direction of the rail spins, make him back up, make him make circles, three or four or five. Then stop him on the rail, take a deep breath and start again.
The trick is to make him work REALLY hard when he's drifting off the rail or breaking stride. It's the motto: 'Make the good things easy, make the incorrect things hard.' So that when he does something you didn't ask him to do, he has to work really hard. Thus, if he wants things nice and easy, all he has to do is listen to you.

Also... he might be bored with what you're asking of him. So change up your routine, ask more of him. Put in backing up spots, turns on the rail to reverse directions, tear-drop style turns, cross the ring, stop in the middle, back up, turn 90 degrees right or left, go that way.
Boredom can cause a horse to not care about their rider's requests or what they're doing, especially if they know they can get away with it. So, get a little aggravated by it and [don't beat him] just make him work for his down time.

And, if he gives you a little crow hop, I don't know if that's in him to do or not, but in some cases, some horses, when they have serious push-back, will try something new, if he Does give you a little crow hop, don't be scared, slap him once with the crop, or give him a solid kick to move his butt forward and make him work more. 'Such things are NOT acceptable.' Keep that in your head. And also, 'Stop taking advantage of me!' Hold onto those two statements.

Horses can turn on their haunches and when you ask something of them, they need to figure out how to manage it. They can do it. ;) Even if we feel a bit awkward in the saddle when they do. :P

Your problem does come across very much like he's taking advantage of you and you're being a bit hesitant because you think he's delicate. He no longer sounds as delicate as you may think he is. So, move forward. Give it a try.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Of course, that is only suggestions. What I would do, if I were in your place.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
FantasyRanch2
Visit My Farm

Post by FantasyRanch2 »

BlackOak2 wrote:Of course, that is only suggestions. What I would do, if I were in your place.
Ok thx so much. I will try all that and let you know how it goes. I did notice that he was not paying attention to me like at all. So I tried doing things to get him where he has to listen but now from what you said I just need to do more.
FantasyRanch2
Visit My Farm

Post by FantasyRanch2 »

BlackOak2 wrote:...
It's like he read what you said!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

after reading what you said gave me the encouragement to get on him tonight. He didn't stand at first but then was fine. Then when I got on he was perfect, he stayed on the rail and was responding like I was riding for an hour. He trotted on the rail and stoped instantly when I said to. He backed, turned, went straight, ect perfectly! :o

Thx soooooooooo much :D :D :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

FantasyRanch2 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:...

after reading what you said gave me the encouragement to get on him tonight. He didn't stand at first but then was fine. Then when I got on he was perfect, he stayed on the rail and was responding like I was riding for an hour. He trotted on the rail and stoped instantly when I said to. He backed, turned, went straight, ect perfectly! :o

That's GREAT!!! news!!! :mrgreen:
Just like we have to support them from time to time, if we listen, they'll tell us when they're ready to move onward. They, like most animals, live in the moment. So if they're ready, it only hurts them and our own confidence if we don't move forward with them.
He sounds like he's more than ready to work, to be put to work, and to develop your bond with him more. So put your trust in him a bit more and ask him to help teach you how to get better at riding.
He also sounds like he might get bored a bit easy, so if you can write up a number of different exercises to work with him and then cycle through them every couple days, he'll stay engaged to you.

Keep it up! 8-)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
FantasyRanch2
Visit My Farm

Post by FantasyRanch2 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
FantasyRanch2 wrote:

That's GREAT!!! news!!! :mrgreen:
Just like we have to support them from time to time, if we listen, they'll tell us when they're ready to move onward. They, like most animals, live in the moment. So if they're ready, it only hurts them and our own confidence if we don't move forward with them.
He sounds like he's more than ready to work, to be put to work, and to develop your bond with him more. So put your trust in him a bit more and ask him to help teach you how to get better at riding.
He also sounds like he might get bored a bit easy, so if you can write up a number of different exercises to work with him and then cycle through them every couple days, he'll stay engaged to you.

Keep it up! 8-)
Thx :D I rode him again today and he was good again. I have some riding patterns saved on Pinterest so I guess I will start making them to ride!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:19 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:19 am