Community Forum

Dappled Sooties...

CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Dappled Sooties...

Post by CarouselCowgirl »

I was reading back over this post: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... f=2&t=1601

And saw those gorgeous dappled sooties. I haven't seen a sooty game horse with dapples though. Does anyone have one, or know if a certain AC breed carries the right genes/alleles?
Revenant
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Dappled Sooties...

Post by Revenant »

Interesting question! I haven't gotten any dappled sooties in any of my breeds which I've been working on. Right now I have American Cream Drafts; Exmoor Ponies; WIP Hispano Arabians (Andalusian, Baladi, & Thoroughbred); and WIP Spanish Barbs (high % SB). I'm not sure on the bloodlines of the sooties I have right now. I should trace that back to which AC parent it came from.
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

When we had a dappled sooty, Larissa had created him as a Turkmene, so maybe that's where you'll find the right genes? He also never sired another like him though, so I think the genes are rare and very recessive.

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Argent II wrote:When we had a dappled sooty, Larissa had created him as a Turkmene, so maybe that's where you'll find the right genes? He also never sired another like him though, so I think the genes are rare and very recessive.

Oh interesting. I recently bought a bunch of Forest Horses to play with sooty. Maybe I'll try crossing with Turkmenes and see if I ever find dapples.
Revenant
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

Thanks for the info, Argent. That would explain why I've gotten no dapples: none of my breeds have Turkmene in them. Interesting. Maybe once I get my Exmoor and ACD nailed down better, I can mess around with the sooty genes. You'll have to keep me up to date on your experiments, CarouselCowgirl! :D
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Revenant wrote:Thanks for the info, Argent. That would explain why I've gotten no dapples: none of my breeds have Turkmene in them. Interesting. Maybe once I get my Exmoor and ACD nailed down better, I can mess around with the sooty genes. You'll have to keep me up to date on your experiments, CarouselCowgirl! :D
Will do. I might make a farm log specifically for them once I get going.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Sooty Dapples are available in the game right now, and are more challenging than Appaloosas to find.

A Quick Summary:
Sooty Dapples Master Switch (turns on the appearance of dapples on sooty)
- only available in one breed

Sooty Dapples Strength (3 main genes, in same breed as master switch gene)

In order for dapples to appear on Sooty then Sooty must also appear.
Sooty Summary:
- 4 Master Switch genes found in 3 breeds, and very rarely in 4 other breeds
- 4 expression genes (help to determine over what areas of the horse the sooty will appear), found in 3 breeds and very rarely in 4 other breeds)
- 4 strength genes (help to determine how much sooty appears in the areas where sooty has been determined to appear) found in most breeds to varying degrees
- 1 progression gene (helps to determine how quickly the sooty effect will progress, some breeds will appear sooty faster while others could take their entire life for sooty to appear), Fast Sooty found in 5 breeds, while Old Sooty found in all breeds.

Hint: The breed carrying the Dapple Master Switch is one which rarely appears sooty itself. 1 in 4 horses will carry the gene, but it's a Simple Dominant so only one copy is needed. The gene has been in the game since the beginning so it's possible there could be a horse living now with sooty dapples.
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

larissar wrote:Sooty Dapples are available in the game right now, and are more challenging than Appaloosas to find.

A Quick Summary:
Sooty Dapples Master Switch (turns on the appearance of dapples on sooty)
- only available in one breed

Sooty Dapples Strength (3 main genes, in same breed as master switch gene)

In order for dapples to appear on Sooty then Sooty must also appear.
Sooty Summary:
- 4 Master Switch genes found in 3 breeds, and very rarely in 4 other breeds
- 4 expression genes (help to determine over what areas of the horse the sooty will appear), found in 3 breeds and very rarely in 4 other breeds)
- 4 strength genes (help to determine how much sooty appears in the areas where sooty has been determined to appear) found in most breeds to varying degrees
- 1 progression gene (helps to determine how quickly the sooty effect will progress, some breeds will appear sooty faster while others could take their entire life for sooty to appear), Fast Sooty found in 5 breeds, while Old Sooty found in all breeds.

Hint: The breed carrying the Dapple Master Switch is one which rarely appears sooty itself. 1 in 4 horses will carry the gene, but it's a Simple Dominant so only one copy is needed. The gene has been in the game since the beginning so it's possible there could be a horse living now with sooty dapples.
Challenge accepted. Thanks larissar!

I'm going to work on breeding some "fast" sooty Forest Horses with dark all over sooty, like this girl
then I will try crossing them with other breeds to find the dapple switch!
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

I just picked up 2 Turkmenes.

Is it just me or are they lightly dappled? :)
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

I would say yes, maybe. :)

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue May 14, 2024 5:59 pm

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:59 pm