Community Forum

WIP, not released! Choosing a quality stallion: Buying, breeding and studding. By Honeybunny

Honeybunny#2
Visit My Farm

WIP, not released! Choosing a quality stallion: Buying, breeding and studding. By Honeybunny

Post by Honeybunny#2 »

Choosing a quality stallion: Buying, breeding and studding
Welcome to my Stallion guide I hope it is a help!
Choosing the stallion:
When you begin on the process of choosing a stallion it can be a challenging and mind boggling adventure. Stallions on the marketplace can be quite expensive, and you might not get what you are looking for. So here is my tips for getting your money's worth.
Selection:
When selecting a stallion your goals and your price point should be a guide, but money shouldn't win over quality.
When looking at a stallion try to remain unbiased.
Selection process should be like this:
(For ease I will be showing you stallions of the Arabian breed)
Prospective stallion:
Info about him:
Master Champion in Endurance
Stats: 6 Gold
HGP 72,157
Conformation:
Speed 41
Strength 40
Stamina 50
Intelligence Conformation does not affect Intelligence
Balance 51
Movement 51
Agility 36
Tempo 44
Height: 20.3 hh
Price: 50K per breeding

If I where selecting a stallion I would keep him in my maybe list. Why maybe? Price of course! If after looking I wouldn't shrink at breeding to him if he was the only stallion of this quality on the market. However, one thing
I know about this stallion (he is one of my stallions) is he is a "private" stallion. When he is open for breeding he is only open my request on my stud book page and has only 2 available public requested breedings a year. Sometimes price is part of rarity.

Here is a parallel example:
Dakota Dream

Info about him:
No Titles & untrained
Stats: 1 Green 5 Gold
HGP 72,434
Conformation:
Not Listed
Height: 20.2 hh
Price: $45 per breeding

If I where selecting a stallion and found this guy I would very likely give him a try with one of my mares. Why? Because he is only $45 a breeding, even if the foal is crummy then you barely notice the loss. Also his HGP is BETTER then that of the expensive private stallion. He is a very good choice for breeding.

So which is better??? This is much more personal preference, and how much money you have. Both are worthy stallions. The first stallion is permanently frozen on a side account, so he will always be a valuable living landmark of your future horses competitive value. The other stallion most likely will pass and thus fading your lines root into 100% dead. Some people might pick the stallion on color preference. To some the first would win for his traditional bay color, to others the second would win due to his pale color and spotted blanket markings.
Another aspect is training and titles. To me personally training is important to me, and titles are preferred, but to others the quality is the only aspect they need. So in either case you should find your goals and choose the stud that fits those goals. :D :D :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 pm