Community Forum

Tobiano Suppression - A Study

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Re: Tobiano Suppression - A Study

Post by Woodstock »

I've got an interesting one to add in here. So stockings have been present in pretty much every generation although it's hard to tell due to my lack of image taking :roll: :? . What hasn't been present in any generation for as far back as I have gone is any sort of body white, and then BOOM out this one comes with a decently sized back patch :lol: I know that stockings and all body white other than appaloosa spots are linked to Tobiano in game currently I have just never personally seen it pop up on the body in a big patch from just stockings being present previously.

Interesting

Anyways if either of you could provide some insight into her I would greatly appreciate it because i=I am effectively puzzled!
BlackOak2 wrote: ping
Color Guide wrote: ping
Editing to add that I have just got this one as well:
Seriously?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Woodstock wrote:I've got an interesting one to add in here. So stockings have been present in pretty much every generation although it's hard to tell due to my lack of image taking :roll: :? . What hasn't been present in any generation for as far back as I have gone is any sort of body white, and then BOOM out this one comes with a decently sized back patch :lol: I know that stockings and all body white other than appaloosa spots are linked to Tobiano in game currently I have just never personally seen it pop up on the body in a big patch from just stockings being present previously.

Anyways if either of you could provide some insight into her I would greatly appreciate it because i=I am effectively puzzled!
BlackOak2 wrote: ping
Color Guide wrote: ping
It would seem... that some horse in the pedigree was carrying Type C and it was successfully passed onward through the generations.
If Type C is recessive to the other types, then it would've been hidden until Type A and Type B were NOT passed onward. In essence, you were able to breed out the other two types of expression, for these foals.

If you don't want tobiano-body patterning, then you'll want to not breed these foals back into your main herd.

But it is interesting, isn't it! Like suddenly popping a double pearl when you thought your herd didn't have it anymore. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Post by Woodstock »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Woodstock wrote:I've got an interesting one to add in here. So stockings have been present in pretty much every generation although it's hard to tell due to my lack of image taking :roll: :? . What hasn't been present in any generation for as far back as I have gone is any sort of body white, and then BOOM out this one comes with a decently sized back patch :lol: I know that stockings and all body white other than appaloosa spots are linked to Tobiano in game currently I have just never personally seen it pop up on the body in a big patch from just stockings being present previously.

It would seem... that some horse in the pedigree was carrying Type C and it was successfully passed onward through the generations.
If Type C is recessive to the other types, then it would've been hidden until Type A and Type B were NOT passed onward. In essence, you were able to breed out the other two types of expression, for these foals.

If you don't want tobiano-body patterning, then you'll want to not breed these foals back into your main herd.

But it is interesting, isn't it! Like suddenly popping a double pearl when you thought your herd didn't have it anymore. :mrgreen:
Ahhhh okay got it!

Yeah these two will not being added to the main herd :lol: and I will just keep getting randomly surprised I guess whenever new ones pop up.

Thanks for the insight into this super interesting gene area! :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Woodstock wrote:
Ahhhh okay got it!

Yeah these two will not being added to the main herd :lol: and I will just keep getting randomly surprised I guess whenever new ones pop up.

Thanks for the insight into this super interesting gene area! :D
It is!

I don't know if I'd of been able to get my head wrapped around it. Lucky I didn't start the study! :lol: But without it, a number of other player projects may've been a bit more difficult to manage.

Lucky for all of us, there are a number of players with a number of skills around here to help publish studies for the game. 8-)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Post by Woodstock »

BlackOak2 wrote:
It is!

I don't know if I'd of been able to get my head wrapped around it. Lucky I didn't start the study! :lol: But without it, a number of other player projects may've been a bit more difficult to manage.

Lucky for all of us, there are a number of players with a number of skills around here to help publish studies for the game. 8-)
I definitely can just barely wrap my head around it :lol:

I get too frustrated with Tobiano and Lp to try any sort of study on them :roll: I'm super interested in how they work... I'm just more interested seeing other people work with them :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Woodstock wrote:

I get too frustrated with Tobiano and Lp to try any sort of study on them :roll: I'm super interested in how they work... I'm just more interested seeing other people work with them :lol:
^^Very True Words!! :lol: 8-)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Color Guide
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Color Guide »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

^^Very True Words!! :lol: 8-)
I just wanted to pop in to note that both the Canadian and the Shire have NAB in their breed recipe at one point or another. So it's entirely possible that the other breeds involved suppressed the tobiano expression for generation after generation until you happen to mix together two horses that still carry type C and BAM, there it is. :lol:
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 pm