Community Forum

What is the horses colours?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
cheesycorgi
Visit My Farm

What is the horses colours?

Post by cheesycorgi »

Hello again! I have a really hard time getting a grip on the horse colours, I've been trying to do some research so I don't have to write here again but as I said, I've had a hard time understanding all of it. I would appreciate getting some help with understanding all of this too ๐Ÿ˜…
Here's the horses I need some help with:

Already Gone

Chapel Hill's Passionfruit

Chapel Hill's Memory Lane

Chapel Hill's Since Way Back

Chapel Hill's Do Not Disturb

Chapel Hill's Snowchild
Hawkeye
Visit My Farm

Re: What is the horses colours?

Post by Hawkeye »

Sorrel w/ Blanket

He looks like Red Dun (you can call it as well i think), double Leopard and Tiger Eye. Sorrel/Red Dun w/ Blanket

Black/w Blanket

She looks like black, one copy of Lp, tiger eye, at least one copy of metallic and snowflake. I would call her Black w/ Blanket.

Black

Grulla

This one is hard, i think he is Silver + Dun + something else.

Bay w/ Blanket
cheesycorgi
Visit My Farm

Post by cheesycorgi »

"Hawkeye" wrote:Thank you so much!!!
Hawkeye
Visit My Farm

Post by Hawkeye »

You are welcome! What i see in common between all this horses is:

1. They almost always have the Dun gene. Dun gene is dominant, so only one copy is enough for it to show up. You can notice by muted colors (a bay will look brownish instead of reddish, same with sorrel/chestnuts), striped markings (these ones don't have that though) and a back stripe.

2. They almost always have a copyof the Lp gene. This is also dominant, so only one copy is enough. You can notice this if the horse gets what we call varnish, that is, they get light and bleached looking as they age. Only horses with Lp can show appaloosa markings like the blanket, but, they can have blanket genes and not show up, like your black horse, they can have spotted offspring if you breed them with Lp horses.

3. Tiger eye is recessive, that's the green eye. It will only show up if your horse has both copies of the gene, so it's a bit tricky to track, but you can be sure two horses w/ tiger eye will always have offspring w/ tiger eye.
cheesycorgi
Visit My Farm

Post by cheesycorgi »

"Hawkeye" wrote:Oh okay! That's really interesting, thank you for clarifying. I'm definitely going to look more into it :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 am