Community Forum

€R♛ Royale - (Farm Log)

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Royale Ranch
Location: Driving, Photographing or Playing the Piano (or maybe actually working)
Visit My Farm

Re: €R♛ Royale - (Farm Log)

Post by Royale Ranch »

Its been a while - quite possibly over 12 months, I think, since I was last active on HWO. oh, well - life happens.

Two current projects only:

PROJECT A: Endurance Arabians
PROJECT B: Australian Breeds

PROJECT A: ENDURANCE ARABIANS
The goal has always been to break the endurance record, but I don't fully understand the in's and outs of the genetic makeup of the horses enough to know when a foal has improved from its parents.. At times, I'm convinced that it is as almost as illusive as google's algorithm :lol:

Therefore, at this stage in the game, it tends to be a little bit of trial and error. breed, train and record results - but said results are dependent on age, feed and goodness knows what else. Some horses have more 'competition heart' than others - so then what?

I thought I had a good horse, and he performed well according to my earlier tests, but now he is getting horrid results in the last couple of comp's. too old? wrong feed? bad test? who knows.. He's gorgeous, anyhow.

♛€R 9.957 Moonglow Nation

Speed 43
Strength 19
Stamina 38
Intelligence NA
Balance 47
Movement 47
Agility 37
Tempo 39

right now, I'm keeping horses for the next generation that have an average score from testing of mares (hopefully) less than 20.10, and stallions, less than 20.0. horses that don't make the cut are used as grinders.

Its good to see some TB's creeping into the higher endurance scores, but makes it more difficult too. perhaps I need to look at the body shape, etc to improve the my lines. but what makes the ideal endurance horse?

Bombproof, obviously.
Thin, to Mod thin.
very light build
a long face... the rest will have to be looked at with the next round of breeding, which is not now :arrow:

PROJECT B: Australian Breeds
As mentioned several times before, the ultimate goal is to create competition worth lines of the Australian Stock Horse, Drought Horse, Pony and Brumby.

Starting with the ASH (Australian Stock Horse, direct from only AC horses.)
Its getting there, slowly.

ASH = [ Percheron x Thoroughbred ] x [ Quarter Horse x Waler ]
Percheron = done (if they arent used in the meantime)
TB = done (if there are enough left.)
Quarter Horse = IN PROGRESS
Waler = dependent on the quarter horse.

QUARTER HORSE = [ Thoroughbred x Chickasaw ] x [ Arabian x Andalusian ]
TB = got
Chickasaw = Needs breeding. [ Spanish Jennet x Sorraia ] x [ Spanish Barb x Thoroughbred ]
Arab = AC
Andalasian = got (i think)

as always, before getting into the breeding of a new breed, I like to go through each breed evaluation to see what I need to watch out for.

So, the goal at the moment is to breed the Chickasaw. to start this, i would a) list out the breed evaluation of each existing horse (ie Spanish jennet, sorraia, Spanish barb and TB) compare my existing stock to the evaluation. ie, by tb's may not be as tall as the evaluation, or my Spanish barbs not as light etc.

I have removed some data to make it easier to read, but you will see each breed's evaluation, and then, in brackets, the approx. value of the horses that I am going to use for them. this is important, so the results are as accurate as possible.

[ Spanish Jennet x Sorraia ] x [ Spanish Barb x Thoroughbred ]

Spanish Jennet Evaluation
Height 13.0 - 15.1hh (13.0 - 14.5)
Build VL - L (VL-L)
Body Size 10 - 30 (12-20)
Type 90 - 70H (88-80)

Sorria Evaluation
Height 12.0 - 14.0hh (12.0-14)
Build ML - M ( [ML] M)
Body Size 40 - 50 (44-50)
Type 60H - 55P (60H - 55P)

Spanish Barb Evaluation
Height 14.0 - 15.1hh (14.0 - 15.1)
Build L - M (ML)
Body Size 35 - 55 35-55
Type 72H - 50P (56H - 70H)

Thoroughbred Evaluation
Height 15.0 - 16.3 (15.1 - 15.5)
Build VL - ML (L)
Body Size 15 -35 (15-30)
Type 85 - 65H (65-85H)

now, from that data, I will estimate what the cross breeds will look like.

Spanish Jennet x Sorria Estimation
Height 12.5-14
Build L-ML
Body Size 25-40
Type 55-75H

TB x Spanish Barb Estimation
Height 14.3-15.2
Build L-ML
Body Size 25-45
Type 60-75H

from this data, we can now compare what the Chickasaw needs to be vs. what it is likely to be according to my estimations.
again, evaluation data is std, the figures in brackets are what the estimated horse will be.

Chickasaw Evaluation
Height 12.0 - 14.2 (13.0 - 14.4)
Build l - ml (L-ML)
Body Size 25 - 40 (25-40)
Type 75 - 66 H (75-60H)

now, from that we can see that the horses are likely to be too tall, and not as horse-like as they will need to be. the build will have to be watched, as it could swing a little too light, or too heavy, and body size is a bit of an unknown because of the vast differences between the original horses used in this makeup.

from here, the main takeaway is to pick the shorter horses, with the body size as close to the end evaluation as possible to prevent massive swings, and more horse-type bodies.

now, as i am writing this, I have bred the two crosses, and have almost finished breeding Spanish Jennet x Sorraia Studs with the TB x Barb Mares. The Spanish Jennet x Sorraia Mares x the TB x Barb studs are still to come.

It's not as easy as I anticipated, this one.
most of my horses have been far too tall, despite picking the shorter side. we have a few that are too light, or too heavy in build. However, I am hoping for more success with the Jennet x Sorraia Mares, as they are shorter, although many of them still have red strength, which I am quite desperate to rid my heard of at this stage in the game.

I have been trying to be fairly picky according too looks too.

"Distinguishing features: Australian Stock Horses are renowned for their endurance, agility, bravery and good temperament. They are extremely surefooted and strong, with a natural aptitude for cattle work and incredible versatility – they’re known as ‘the breed for every need’. Stock Horses can stand anywhere from 14 to 16.2 hands high and can be any colour. Their large eyes are intelligent and alert and their overall build is well-proportioned and athletic. They have a long, slender neck, sloping shoulders, powerful hindquarters and strong, slender legs with clean bone and joints. Their broad forehead, large nostrils, deep chest and well-sprung ribs allow smooth passage of air to the lungs and their hard hooves can withstand wear on challenging, stony terrain."
quoted from: https://www.globetrotting.com.au/horse- ... ock-horse/

I don't want greying, varnish or sootiness. at this stage, my heard is relatively free of greying and varnish, however I have currently got a lot of sootiness, which obviously being a dominant gene, is difficult to remove. I love darker colored horses, particularly black, and paint patterns too. I have been semi-nurturing the paint patterns through the generations, and have some crosses with them, but as of yet, no Chickasaw's with them - only long stockings and some face markings.

my method for breeding from two crosses to a new named breed is: use as many mares as liked, and breed against approx. 10-14 stallions 2 or 3 times each (unless a successful foal is thrown, then move onto the next stud. this to keep COI low.) This is why I cant breed both (TB x Barb Stud) with (Jennet x Sorraia MAres) and (TB x Barb Mares) with (Jennet x Sorraia Stallions) at the same time, since I can only have 36 broodmares on my account at one time (and I have 28 Jennet x Sorria Mares - go figure.)

Up until this point, I have pretty much had 0% COI all the way through. unfortunately, some of these horses now have up to about 2% COI, possibly due to using horses such as the TB from the same session several times down the trail - there are too many horses required to ensure that every single one is not related at all. still, I hope to monitor this, and decrease if possible.

That is it for now, perhaps when I have completed the Chickasaw breeding, will update with my fav. examples.

edit: sincere apologies for all the typos and spelling errors - I am sure it is bound to frustrate anyone who actually bothers to read this! :oops:

Edit: 24/08/21
At this stage, I have finished PArt A of the Chickasaw Breeding, and midway through B.
A =Spanish Jennet x Sorraia STUDS and Spanish Barb x Thoroughbred MARES
B 3 Spanish Jennet x Sorraia MARES and Spanish Barb x Thoroughbred MARES

even this far down the track, with however many breedings it has taken to get this far, its incredible how versatile the heard is. Fortunately, I actually ended with more successful Chickasaw's than anticipated.. approx. 40 which was defiantly enough to cull the ones with red stats. I think it's pretty safe to say that I should have enough after the Chickasaw's are completed to go through and use the ones that a) I'm happy with the color, B) have improved since last generation and c) fit the breed requirements for next generation! A few standouts:

Pseudo Black

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3184150
Tis a pity she is only a Pseudo, but .. I love her color anyhow.

Fluffy Mane

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3187085
That mane tho! its gorgeous!

Paint Markings

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3187234
My only successful paint that wasn't culled due to red stats... sad, right? why do all the pretty horses never fit your requirements for stats and shape? Her mane is sad and limp, her tail short and her color certainly not my favourite.. but who knows what genes she - or any of the other horses are hiding? (lol that are most likely to be wiped out next generation over the more dominant genes....)

Grullo?

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3186849
I was going to say that this horse has a significant grullo influence.. obviously from the Tarpan AC horses, but I'm not sure if I'm even correct in calling it that so - we'll see. It can be pretty, but its not something that I want to dominate my lines at this stage.

Shocker!

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3187192
Get ready for it.... YES this boy is a Palomino and has feathers!!!! shocker, just when i thought my lines were all dark, and as much as I love feathers, didn't expect them to a) continue on, or b) even be on a stock horse... I have no illusions that they will continue far, but I can enjoy them here and now, right?

Redhead

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3187303
Had to share his brilliantly red mane! good to see the feet markings through so many of the horses.. the remains of the paint gene from NABs.

Green Tempo

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3191776
His mother was the first in this heard to achieve a green stat. Somehow, it doesn't seem like much of an achievement until it pops up in a named breed rather than a cross. Considering the fact that his mother had a 47 Conf. Score for tempo, and this fella has a 42, I'd be very surprised if they were actually strong in tempo. Rather, i think its a false reading boosted by the conf. score. Actually, the only 3 comments that I have had to worry about being red are (in order of commonality - I'm sure that's a word) Strength - no surprise there, intelligence, and then there were one or two tempo.

Doll-face

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3182979
Just so well put together. So petite, and perfect.

Unfortunately, a failed mix of these horses resulted in a grade, so even if there were a couple of simply gorgeous foals, I couldn't re-breed them for a hope of a Chickasaw.

Well, thats that. More to come at a later date.

Further edit as at 27/08/21
Second (and final) round of chickasaw's completed. 12 Studs, an unknown large qty of mares. This round seemed to go quicker, perhaps because I took a look at the Whaler breeding requirements.. not sure how much success I will have there :ugeek: :?:

I think I got approx. 47 successful horses from this round, and that is after culling red-stat horses. (that is over 85 successful Chickasaws all up.. no wonder I have had to poke them in anywhere on my frozen accounts!)

Pseudo Black with stockings (Stallion)

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3194932

Beautiful Paint with limited Soot (Stallion)

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3192187

Black Paint - what more could one wish for? (Stallion)

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3193118

Another Pseudo Black (Stallion)

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3194327

Another gorgeous paint (with no reds - Mare)

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3194332

I think this lot are smaller.. another Mare with dun? maybe

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3193505

Sootiness very much apparent unfortunately(mare)

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3194893

so cute! (Mare)

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3192193

oohhh the feathers (MAre)

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3192224

Quite a chunky psuedo blk mare

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3193448

Well, they are my favorites, and at this stage I don't know if they will be used any further along in the breeding project.. but I'll try not to rehome them! that's finally if for this post.. next on, the Whaler.
Last edited by Royale Ranch on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:D
Good to see you're still kicking.

And it seems you haven't forgotten much of anything in your time away.

Welcome Back. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Royale Ranch
Location: Driving, Photographing or Playing the Piano (or maybe actually working)
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale Ranch »

BlackOak2 wrote::D

Thankyou. I do want to apologise to those that I was previously in close-ish contact with. My departure was swift, unexpected and without explanation. I will not be on too frequently now either, but every now and then :roll:

and to you especially, BlackOak, It is good to see that you are still arround.. did see your post that something big is happening for you, and I really do hope all goes well.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Royale Ranch wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote::D

Thankyou. I do want to apologise to those that I was previously in close-ish contact with. My departure was swift, unexpected and without explanation. I will not be on too frequently now either, but every now and then :roll:

and to you especially, BlackOak, It is good to see that you are still arround.. did see your post that something big is happening for you, and I really do hope all goes well.
It's, after all, a game. It can wait for player return. So don't fret too much. ;)

The event that was planned went off without a hitch. Things are going well and I'll be slowly returning to some sort of regular schedule.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Royale Ranch
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale Ranch »

MILESTONE ANOUNCEMENT
Birth of my first Australian Stock Horse
2.1 ASH Colt - Firstborn

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3709683

This is terribly exciting news for Royale Ranch since it breaks the first section of primary goals for my farm :o :shock:

After many, many laborious hours over several years, its pretty fulfilling to finally see the pop-up announcing that i've successfully bred an Australian Stock Horse.

These lines have been built entirely from Adoption Centre stock, with no - repeat - no - external and/or improved lines being added in.

Yes, yes - he's foundation stock. (but hes pretty cute, right?)
There's still so much more to come - and so much further to go, but would like to take a moment to appreciate this milestone, and it certainly wasnt without help from the rest of the HWO community.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Ah, the satisfaction of a cat drinking milk. It's Just Like That. 8-)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Royale Ranch
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale Ranch »

so...

Where to start?

Two posts ago, I started off with saying that I was back from a 12 month break. That was in August 2021. Now, I could say the same thing, I arrived back in October, November? Maybe.

Donno how long I'll stay, so maybe I should just ignore how much i'm on - or off - line.

back to relevance.

Unfortunately, I cant tell you exactly where I was up to with my Australian Stock horse project when I first returned.

Australian Project
I think - think - I was halfway through completing the Quarter Horse. which means
1. complete quarter horse
2. create mixes for waler
3. breed waler
4. create mixes for ASH
5. breed ASH.

Looking back, One thing I most definitely recall, was starting off trying to create the walers and having no luck. So, I went back and did a second generation of the horses needed for them, and tried again. It paid off, but did make a vey long breeding session for the Walers. (a very successful one too.) note that this is probably only the second time that ive gone back to help adjust the conformation before breeding.

Every other time, ive just picked and chosen the closest horses and hoped it worked - which in theory it should since ive started with AC stock only, and stuck with that all the way through - no external lines. But, the creators like to make things difficult for us :) and the horses like to plot all over the graph, or their parameters only vaguely overlap.

The first year/round of breeding. I had 20 mares pregnant. 9 successful foals, 7 of which were fillies. the second year? 21 mares, and 13 foals. That's a huge success rate! Usually I would only expect about 3 foals. so, a lot - a lot of walers. Think I ended up with over 200, honest.

But, cutting to the exciting part, which I did announce early November. I have successfully bread the Australian Stock Horse! A very exciting moment, one that i was getting very nervous about, because unlike the walers, the mixes did not result in a good success rate... they liked randomly throwing foals way off the expected range.

Either way, I'm now the very proud owner of 108 Australian Stock Horses. (which is approximately 24% of the active population.)

I haven't bred for stats, just their evaluation and to a certain degree, color.

(Saying that, I did have to send a comment to Blackoak when one of my pairs threw a could of fillies (crosses to create the ASH) that had a green 51 stamina score. It would have to be a falsely elevated score, as my horses aren't even near the 45GP mark yet. time will tell.

Australian Stock Horses are typically black, brown, bay and chestnut. But saying that, I did try and keep as much varitey in the coats as possible since my end goal is admittedly the Brumby, which requires and ASH x Aust. pony. The brumby can be any color and varies greatly in appearance since they literally are wild horses in Australia, and since all horses here were imported, they are a combination of many breeds.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the greying gene, and a huge fan of black horses. so that's what I lean towards... see below a selection.

" "

https://horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3736623
Just what the doctor ordered... I'd love all my heard to look like this. But its not necessarily true to nature.

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3736626
Bay? With Socks. pretty bad with colors sorry. Feel this one is more of a true indication of what they should look like colour wise.

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3737031
solid.

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3733865
fair amount of sooty. again, another gene I tried to steer away from, but pretty impossible when most horses from the AC have the gene.

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3736655
love, love these markings. I love white ears!

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3713653
significant dun. not a fan, but it is what it is.

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3716950
Grullo stripes from Tarpan origins - again, bit hard to eliminate without spending generations on it when so many AC Tarpans used. still, i actually kind of like her copper hair...

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3713443

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3713568
Petite fella, gorgeous color. not sure he'll be much use size wise, but who knows.

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3712213
such a surprise when I went to transfer this girl at breeding age.. and she has feathers!!!! Couldn't believe my eyes. I love feathers, but didn't see any trace of it any their ancestors...

" "

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3710716
Face and leg markings, very sturdy, rounded, what i expected them to look like. but.. it helps that he's very fat. lol.

A line of ASH with 0% COI - (i think, haven't checked all of them) bred only from Adoption Centre Stock with no external lines added, and limited, to no breeding for gene development and improvement.

So, that's that. Very fun times.

For now, they'll be left to rest, settle. Eventually, some of them will be used to create the Australian Brumby. others will be used for heard development, and one day, they'll be a competing line. We'll see.

Next Up...
I have two current projects.
a) the Australians
b) Competitive Endurance Line

my endurance lines currently little more than grinder standard. so, Alongside my Australians, I breed a generation, train them, test them, and sell them. many thanks to Horselover101 for the training assist... :)

I can't give parameters of what my current testing standards are, but should be able to share when this generation of training is complete. focusing on the mares right now, got about 4 fields left to train.. hopefully in the end there will be some left to sell - breeding horses is expensive lol.. :roll: :lol:

when the trainings done, I'll be back to focusing on my Australians. Next stop? The Australian Pony, from scratch. I'm already dreading how many different lines of TB's are required... that's much many AC horses. :x :roll: Lets hope we make it a shorter turn-around than the stock horse did.

well, that's it, I think.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 11:18 am

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:18 am