Community Forum

Color Study ('plume' mane - odd pale/two-toned manes)

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Re: Color Study ('plume' mane - odd pale/two-toned manes)

Post by Gaagii »

So been a while since I updated this. Haven't been on for a while.

Can't remember if I covered this version - mane & fetlocks, no real plume to the tail

And an odd male with a short tail.
Kingsley wrote:Love all the work you've put into studying this color. :) Now you're making me want to breed plume horses, as if I don't have enough projects as is lol. Did you ever get any brown or wild bay plume?
I've gotten wild bays. No black or browns so far. Chestnut is an oddity as sometimes a "flaxen chestnut" will pop up but it doesn't seem related to regular chestnut (as chestnut crossed into plume doesn't show anything).
Occasional Purchaser of Upgrades/Pony Tokens (temporarily closed)
Plume Horse Association
ZaRHBR Member, MRA Member

Gaagii (#88314) & Craven (#88478)
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

Going through what I've posted so far & reviewing some other horses I think this "plume" gene is tied, if it hasn't been mentioned before, in some way with agouti (good genetic summary https://www.deviantart.com/kassousminou ... -417917009)

Bay = black base + agouti. Plume shows on bays
Black = black base / agouti. Plume doesn't show on blacks.
Chestnut = red base + supposedly agouti versions irl = varied darkness of chestnut (light vs liver). A "flaxen" plume-related chestnut shows
Seal/Brown = black base + agouti type irl. Not tested in the game currently.
https://www.horse-genetics.com/horse-co ... etics.html

The idea comes from this horse here:

His Sire Image
Dame Image

If heterozygous (Aa) agouti in two bay horses, in real life, there's a 25% chance of a black foal.
Image https://www.animalgenetics.us/Equine/CCalculator1.asp
As you can see in the image above 2 of the 3 chestnut potentials (ee) have agouti (Aa/AA). The black is represented by E/EE with no agouti (aa) & everything else is bay.

Here is one of those "flaxen" chestnuts Image by a adoption center horse that indicated plume & a bred/proven plume mare.

There's another reason why I considered agouti & that's the black boy's foals.

Foal #1

Dame

Foal #2

Dame (not the best pic)

Foal #3

Dame (no plume)

Foal #4

Dame

A heterozygous (Aa) agouti bay bred to a black horse has a near 50/50 chance of a black foal or a bay foal

There was suggestion of silver if I remember correctly but it can't be silver as these "flaxen" chestnuts wouldn't exist
As seen here (silver bay/bay cross) there is solely chestnut because silver changes black (mane/tail) and chestnut doesn't have black. On the reverse, it can't be flaxen because flaxen doesn't change black it changes red.

So right now I'd say it's an oddity to agouti. But right now I am gonna be cutting back on horses aiming for high-intensity plumes again.
Plume Horse Association

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I haven't had much chance to breed or differences between foals being born from my competition line with the plume gene attached.
But I'm still keeping notes.

I do find it funny that it affects the black mane and tails by brushing them with a silver frosting, but it doesn't do so in black coats at all (or doesn't appear to).

If directly linked to the agouti gene, it may be a good tell for our chestnuts hiding agouti.

So the black boy above is a carrier of the plume?
He can throw it around with both plume and non-plume mares but does not express it himself?

If that's the case, then that certainly is a strong theory for it being directly attached to agouti and as such can remain hidden in an all-black bloodline for generations until introduced to an agouti chestnut or an agouti bay, brown, wild bay.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

BlackOak2 wrote:I haven't had much chance to breed or differences between foals being born from my competition line with the plume gene attached.
But I'm still keeping notes.

I do find it funny that it affects the black mane and tails by brushing them with a silver frosting, but it doesn't do so in black coats at all (or doesn't appear to).

If directly linked to the agouti gene, it may be a good tell for our chestnuts hiding agouti.

So the black boy above is a carrier of the plume?
He can throw it around with both plume and non-plume mares but does not express it himself?

If that's the case, then that certainly is a strong theory for it being directly attached to agouti and as such can remain hidden in an all-black bloodline for generations until introduced to an agouti chestnut or an agouti bay, brown, wild bay.
Yeah, the black guy's a plume carrier but he doesn't seem to 'throw it' with non-plume mares. Foal 3 (the black one)'s mare has no visible plume as she's of a non-plume background. Interestingly Foal #3 later bred to a nicely marked plume mare gave me a solid chestnut colt.
Plume Horse Association

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Gaagii wrote:
Yeah, the black guy's a plume carrier but he doesn't seem to 'throw it' with non-plume mares. Foal 3 (the black one)'s mare has no visible plume as she's of a non-plume background. Interestingly Foal #3 later bred to a nicely marked plume mare gave me a solid chestnut colt.
That would certainly offer that the plume is indeed recessive and that the colt only had one gene. But that also the sire only carries one.

I suppose it's certainly possible to have a gene that's recessive, linked to another gene (in this cause agouti) and is also build-able.

But, yeash, does that make it hard to work with!

By the way, that short-tailed male you posted... So Stinkin' Cute!
Brilliant frosting on him.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Gaagii wrote:
That would certainly offer that the plume is indeed recessive and that the colt only had one gene. But that also the sire only carries one.

I suppose it's certainly possible to have a gene that's recessive, linked to another gene (in this cause agouti) and is also build-able.

I'm positive plume is recessive as any outcrossing to non-plumes gives almost 100% non-plume (there's a rare occasion when I've found an adoption center horse that looks like it may have plume = plume) foals.

Well yeah it's interesting to work with. But if agouti related that may make it simpler. What I need is to try with verified brown as per irl brown is an agouti type of color.

BlackOak2 wrote: By the way, that short-tailed male you posted... So Stinkin' Cute!
Thanks. :)
Plume Horse Association

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Gaagii wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I'm positive plume is recessive as any outcrossing to non-plumes gives almost 100% non-plume (there's a rare occasion when I've found an adoption center horse that looks like it may have plume = plume) foals.

Well yeah it's interesting to work with. But if agouti related that may make it simpler. What I need is to try with verified brown as per irl brown is an agouti type of color.

BlackOak2 wrote: By the way, that short-tailed male you posted... So Stinkin' Cute!
I'd certainly like to help you with the browns... I have agouti in almost all of my competition line... but it's a mixture of agouti among chestnuts, blacks and also dilution genes. They're a mess for color projects.

But I did find this guy at stud; he's an Ee (one chestnut foal, I think) and 3 brown foals, so there's a chance he's a double brown.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/296

And this one at stud; he comes down from two AC bays... so he's either single brown or double. No apparent reds in his offspring and no blacks that I see either.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1982

Then there's this one for sale that's down from a brown and buckskin. From what I see, it appears he's likely E/e, but might be a double brown as well. No foals.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1264933

I don't know if that's any help though.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Gaagii wrote:

I'd certainly like to help you with the browns... I have agouti in almost all of my competition line... but it's a mixture of agouti among chestnuts, blacks and also dilution genes. They're a mess for color projects.

But I did find this guy at stud; he's an Ee (one chestnut foal, I think) and 3 brown foals, so there's a chance he's a double brown.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/296

And this one at stud; he comes down from two AC bays... so he's either single brown or double. No apparent reds in his offspring and no blacks that I see either.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1982

Then there's this one for sale that's down from a brown and buckskin. From what I see, it appears he's likely E/e, but might be a double brown as well. No foals.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1264933

I don't know if that's any help though.
Thanks

And that's quite alright about your own horses, the ones you linked I'll buy/use. I'm probably gonna breed some myself in a bit - gotta clear some room - anyway. I just keep putting it off lol.
Plume Horse Association

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Gaagii wrote:
Thanks

And that's quite alright about your own horses, the ones you linked I'll buy/use. I'm probably gonna breed some myself in a bit - gotta clear some room - anyway. I just keep putting it off lol.
Room... it's always the room!
But if there wasn't a limit... it'd take me literally, DAYS to get through each turn. I'd have way too many projects running. :lol:
:roll: I like breeding the horses... it's fun to see the generations evolve.

AC Forest horses usually have a lot of browns and no hidden dilution genes, except for that dun and pangare. So in a pinch, it's safe enough to use them.

And caspians are easy for empty genes too. If you can find a black one, you don't need to worry about agouti mixed in or anything else but dun. So at least it gives you a fairly blank canvas to work with.

But you know all that already. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Gaagii wrote:
Thanks

Room... it's always the room!
But if there wasn't a limit... it'd take me literally, DAYS to get through each turn. I'd have way too many projects running. :lol:
:roll: I like breeding the horses... it's fun to see the generations evolve.

AC Forest horses usually have a lot of browns and no hidden dilution genes, except for that dun and pangare. So in a pinch, it's safe enough to use them.

And caspians are easy for empty genes too. If you can find a black one, you don't need to worry about agouti mixed in or anything else but dun. So at least it gives you a fairly blank canvas to work with.

But you know all that already. :mrgreen:
Yep. Room & time. Ah jeez... But this game's fantastic for the breeding/genes compared to some.

And yeah know about the adoption centers - thanks a bunch for the advice still - it's why I use them mostly.
Plume Horse Association

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 2:34 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:34 am