Community Forum

This horse I met today

Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Re: This horse I met today

Post by Malakai10 »

Emlyn wrote:
Malakai10 wrote:WOW!
He's gorgeous! I've been thinking of getting an OTTB I just don't know how well they will handle a barrel racing pattern. :lol: :)
I imagine much how they handle other non-racing disciplines - you might get a horse that's really good at it but you're more likely to get one that's average or really bad. Barrel racing needs really tight turns, right? I think my TB tried to imitate the angle of the turns :mrgreen: he spooked and tried to turn with his body pretty close to a 45 degree angle to the ground :lol:

Just looked at some videos - those are really tight turns at such high speed!!! :o :D It's impressive but I can't say I'm a fan of the amount of kicking - still! impressive!!
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Malakai10 wrote:
Sawd10 wrote:
Hello.
Wow, what a GORGEOUS horse!! A beautiful specimen. :mrgreen:
I work with horses and own one and I always love to see when one casts their eye upon a certain horse. That's exactly what I had done with a horse before. It's like you kind of feel an immediate connection to them? And wow his coat is BEAUTIFUL! I absolutely LOVE his looks! Stunning horse. Do you know how old he is?

I would just like to say that I really like a black horse that isn't High Strung. It's nice to see one that's calm rather then the Black Stallion, edgy, only can be around one person, runs off, high strung.. y'know what I mean? It's how the people make those movies LOL.
I don't - if I were to guess, I'd say about four but no older than five. I heard that they're going to start reintroducing him to riding soon - I think non-race horses are generally backed at age four here and the SYO wouldn't ride him if he were too young. Then again, he could be three since Thoroughbreds do mature earlier and he was taken off the track... I would think he's probably around two to three in the photo.

He is a little nervous - he's brave with things that are in the arena with him but watches what goes on outside. He's also rather brave and friendly when it comes to people although he doesn't like sudden movements.

I loved how you were like (cough grey cough) Lol. I always think that! Common mistake in movies: "Hey, look at that beautiful WHITE stallion!" ????? :|
I work with a GREY Mare right now, she's about 12 Years old- She can be quite hard-headed at times, but she is very sweet when that doesn't kick in...
She also loves people to braid her mane and forelock which is weird to me because my previous horse I had worked with (Fantasy) didn't really like that.

I also previously worked with a very interesting horse named Dezi- who, despite how he'd acted, was 21 years old. He was sweet and calm, and quite stubborn...and tried to take over kids that didn't understand how to work horses LOL. But wow... when he went to do the Halter shows! If the person who was showing him knew what they were doing or not- Dezi knew what he was doing! He went all the way through the Halter show(s) so fast, perfect headset, alignment, and everything! He almost ALWAYS won a Blue Ribbon per! Amazing.

He, if I remember correctly, went to national shows and had gotten some type of award? Maybe first place, but I honestly forget looking back on it. He's still living, having a good life. He's now retired from working. He lives on a medium-sized farm with some other horses. The owner instantly fell in love with him. She takes him for walks every evening and feeds him treats and gets him expensive food, etc. What a nice retirement! :mrgreen:

Fantasy was a Greying horse. (Born black, progressively over the years turns Grey). She is currently... 6 years old? And quite grey, but definitely not fully. She was quite Spirited. But get this: I was training her for driving and... she's absolutely BOMBPROOF when it comes to desensitizing!! She was very good. She was kind of shy, but really nice when you get to know her.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Sawd10 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: I don't - if I were to guess, I'd say about four but no older than five. I heard that they're going to start reintroducing him to riding soon - I think non-race horses are generally backed at age four here and the SYO wouldn't ride him if he were too young. Then again, he could be three since Thoroughbreds do mature earlier and he was taken off the track... I would think he's probably around two to three in the photo.

He is a little nervous - he's brave with things that are in the arena with him but watches what goes on outside. He's also rather brave and friendly when it comes to people although he doesn't like sudden movements.

I loved how you were like (cough grey cough) Lol. I always think that! Common mistake in movies: "Hey, look at that beautiful WHITE stallion!" ????? :|
I work with a GREY Mare right now, she's about 12 Years old- She can be quite hard-headed at times, but she is very sweet when that doesn't kick in...
She also loves people to braid her mane and forelock which is weird to me because my previous horse I had worked with (Fantasy) didn't really like that.

I also previously worked with a very interesting horse named Dezi- who, despite how he'd acted, was 21 years old. He was sweet and calm, and quite stubborn...and tried to take over kids that didn't understand how to work horses LOL. But wow... when he went to do the Halter shows! If the person who was showing him knew what they were doing or not- Dezi knew what he was doing! He went all the way through the Halter show(s) so fast, perfect headset, alignment, and everything! He almost ALWAYS won a Blue Ribbon per! Amazing.

He, if I remember correctly, went to national shows and had gotten some type of award? Maybe first place, but I honestly forget looking back on it. He's still living, having a good life. He's now retired from working. He lives on a medium-sized farm with some other horses. The owner instantly fell in love with him. She takes him for walks every evening and feeds him treats and gets him expensive food, etc. What a nice retirement! :mrgreen:

Fantasy was a Greying horse. (Born black, progressively over the years turns Grey). She is currently... 6 years old? And quite grey, but definitely not fully. She was quite Spirited. But get this: I was training her for driving and... she's absolutely BOMBPROOF when it comes to desensitizing!! She was very good. She was kind of shy, but really nice when you get to know her.
I must admit, I can't always blame them - true white horses are incredibly rare - but, then again, filmmakers go to such great lengths for other tiny details that it's clear that they just Made the Movie with any Research. And it's disappointing. I've spoken to a fanfiction writer who is a horse-person and included a pony performing a tölt in their fanfic - and they said they spent about seven hours watching videos of tölt for literally one sentence mentioning it. That is the sort of research one should be doing for anything. A little bit of creative licensing is fine - but there's a line between believable tweaking of reality and complete, erm, how do I put this politely? Making rubbish up. That phrase isn't quite as strong as I'd hoped for but it will have to do.

That sounds wonderful!!! It would be nice if Teal were like that - alas, for I am stuck with a stereotypical mad Thoroughbred. At least he's pretty - he's a sooty dapple bay gelding who turns seal brown in winter. He also likes gazebos - at shows, the gazebo isn't for us, oh no! We have to put at least half of it in his little paddock so that he can rest under it too.

Teal's the horse in the foreground with the... teal blanket. I can never resist decking him out in teal.

Summer coat, you can't see the dapples but he does get them.

Winter coat, do excuse my posture and his hollow back - this was right after lockdown so I hadn't ridden him in months.

Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Malakai10 wrote:
Sawd10 wrote:

I must admit, I can't always blame them - true white horses are incredibly rare - but, then again, filmmakers go to such great lengths for other tiny details that it's clear that they just Made the Movie with any Research. And it's disappointing. I've spoken to a fanfiction writer who is a horse-person and included a pony performing a tölt in their fanfic - and they said they spent about seven hours watching videos of tölt for literally one sentence mentioning it. That is the sort of research one should be doing for anything. A little bit of creative licensing is fine - but there's a line between believable tweaking of reality and complete, erm, how do I put this politely? Making rubbish up. That phrase isn't quite as strong as I'd hoped for but it will have to do.

That sounds wonderful!!! It would be nice if Teal were like that - alas, for I am stuck with a stereotypical mad Thoroughbred. At least he's pretty - he's a sooty dapple bay gelding who turns seal brown in winter. He also likes gazebos - at shows, the gazebo isn't for us, oh no! We have to put at least half of it in his little paddock so that he can rest under it too.

Teal's the horse in the foreground with the... teal blanket. I can never resist decking him out in teal.

Summer coat, you can't see the dapples but he does get them.

Winter coat, do excuse my posture and his hollow back - this was right after lockdown so I hadn't ridden him in months.

Lol! His color is beautiful! It was quite fun because whenever I would clip Fantasy she would be a lighter color than she was with her fur! And Dezi was a very different color whenever I clipped him. I've always found coloring so fun!

No worries Lol. I've not seen very many Sooty Dapples.. let alone Sooty Dapple Bays! He's handsome. :mrgreen:
Yes, I agree with the words said above about people making movies. :roll: :geek:
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Sawd10 wrote: Lol! His color is beautiful! It was quite fun because whenever I would clip Fantasy she would be a lighter color than she was with her fur! And Dezi was a very different color whenever I clipped him. I've always found coloring so fun!

No worries Lol. I've not seen very many Sooty Dapples.. let alone Sooty Dapple Bays! He's handsome. :mrgreen:
Yes, I agree with the words said above about people making movies. :roll: :geek:
Thanks!! :)

As light as this horse? :mrgreen: (I really hope this isn't photo-shopped but it might be? I don't know)

But, yeah, the colours horses come in is amazing - and it's always interesting to see little differences in coat colour - how that one chestnut is just a bit more golden than another or the tail of a bay glows red in sunlight - or how there's an entirely different horse underneath that winter coat!
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Malakai10 wrote:
Sawd10 wrote: Lol! His color is beautiful! It was quite fun because whenever I would clip Fantasy she would be a lighter color than she was with her fur! And Dezi was a very different color whenever I clipped him. I've always found coloring so fun!

Thanks!! :)

As light as this horse? :mrgreen: (I really hope this isn't photo-shopped but it might be? I don't know)

But, yeah, the colours horses come in is amazing - and it's always interesting to see little differences in coat colour - how that one chestnut is just a bit more golden than another or the tail of a bay glows red in sunlight - or how there's an entirely different horse underneath that winter coat!
Sorry for the late reply-- I have been busy and I haven't been on HW lol.
Sorta? It was a bit darker and no dapples.
Yeah, I love it!
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Malakai10 wrote: Also, get this: the racing people whop owned him before wanted to put him down because 'he's impossible to control' and 'dangerous'. He is such a sweet horse. Clearly, they don't know how to handle horses because he is such a brave and clever sweetheart.
Sounds like a horse who might accidentally kill you under saddle, but is fine on the ground. My OTTB is like this. Even when his ground manners are solid, he can be an absolute * under saddle. He's athletic and opinionated. He can hurt you by accident, he can hurt you because he's having a good day and expressed himself a bit too much. In the round pen, he rears, bucks, and kicks out when he's feeling fresh, but is also sensitive and responsive once he's had his hijinx. Racehorse people handle the fittest horses a person can come in contact with, when they're at their most riled up. Many OTTBs settle once they turn into unfit riding horses, but I certainly would not discount what kind of horse he was while he raced. My gelding was always quiet and quirky on the backside, but he also dragged the groom around on racedays and tore the riders' arms out during morning gallops.
Malakai10 wrote:Then again, he could be three since Thoroughbreds do mature earlier and he was taken off the track... I would think he's probably around two to three in the photo.
No, they don't. All horses mature at approximately the same rate, and any differences are related to size, not breed.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Sawd10 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: Thanks!! :)

Sorry for the late reply-- I have been busy and I haven't been on HW lol.
Sorta? It was a bit darker and no dapples.
Yeah, I love it!
Don't worry about it; real life's more important

Cool :mrgreen:
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Argent wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: Also, get this: the racing people whop owned him before wanted to put him down because 'he's impossible to control' and 'dangerous'. He is such a sweet horse. Clearly, they don't know how to handle horses because he is such a brave and clever sweetheart.
Sounds like a horse who might accidentally kill you under saddle, but is fine on the ground. My OTTB is like this. Even when his ground manners are solid, he can be an absolute * under saddle. He's athletic and opinionated. He can hurt you by accident, he can hurt you because he's having a good day and expressed himself a bit too much. In the round pen, he rears, bucks, and kicks out when he's feeling fresh, but is also sensitive and responsive once he's had his hijinx. Racehorse people handle the fittest horses a person can come in contact with, when they're at their most riled up. Many OTTBs settle once they turn into unfit riding horses, but I certainly would not discount what kind of horse he was while he raced. My gelding was always quiet and quirky on the backside, but he also dragged the groom around on racedays and tore the riders' arms out during morning gallops.
You could very well be right - I think SYO has started lunging him but I'm not sure when he'll be ridden. We'll find out then, I suppose.

I must say - whilst your explanation does sound reasonable, I don't have much good faith in people in not to be abusive towards animals - South Africa has a very low average IQ (under 80, last I checked) and bad education and that does tend to go hand in hand with crime.
No, they don't. All horses mature at approximately the same rate, and any differences are related to size, not breed.
Thanks for correcting me - it does make the racing industry even more horrifying though and it makes even normal riding more horrifying. After I looked it up when you corrected me, I found out that horses' growth plates only close by the age of 7?!?? That's just... and far too many are ridden by 2. I actually feel a bit sick. I really hope the source for the growth plates is wrong.
Aurelia
Visit My Farm

Post by Aurelia »

Malakai10 wrote:I just felt that I absolutely had to tell you all about this horse I met today, unfortunately, I don't have any pictures but I'll try to get some at some point.

So, I went riding today and the stable-yard owner has rescued a new OTTB gelding. He is the most gorgeous horse I have ever laid eyes upon. He had this very fine, black coat (slightly tinted brown) with a bright white blaze and three stockings (one front left (I think) and two back) which were slightly yellow from dirt but still an absolutely exquisite appearance. He had this very elegant and noble head and a light, lean body*. He's basically what I imagine a medieval courser of a very high-class nobility would look like.

So, yeah, I just really had to tell you about this gorgeous horse and I'll try to get pictures because everyone deserves to be able to set eyes upon such beauty.

* he's not going to be lean for long, though - my SYO does not like lean horses - he'll be healthily round very soon, let me promise you! But not fat. To put into perspective how my SYO likes the horse's weight: my thoroughbred was mistaken for a warmblood because he was so muscular and all around Not Thin.

** also, this poor baby is very nervous so an acquaintance of mine is playing with him and desensitizing him and I hope the poor dear gets his confidence back soon but I'm sure he will because my SYO is a very sensible lady who Knows Horses

*** interesting fact, my SYO has had like, one case of colic in all of the horses boarded there since she moved her there (which I think is two decades? If not more) and I am Very Impressed

**** but I'll get picture when/if I can

EDIT

This picture is from when he was much younger. I'm not sure if I just couldn't properly see his markings when I first saw him or if his leg markings just got bigger as he aged as those are clearly socks! Pictures don't do this horse justice.

Also, get this: the racing people whop owned him before wanted to put him down because 'he's impossible to control' and 'dangerous'. He is such a sweet horse. Clearly, they don't know how to handle horses because he is such a brave and clever sweetheart.
Aw. I met a horse yesterday as well. My friend got a new one, since her old horse was ancient. He’s a pretty golden brown, but then he rolled. At least my horse liked him.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 9:26 am

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:26 am