Community Forum

PeacefulOreo's Figure Skating Journey

PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Re: PeacefulOreo's Figure Skating Journey

Post by PeacefulOreo »

I had a break through today! I managed to find a very helpful, kind, and super friendly figure skater a the public skating this evening who helped me finally get my backward crossover to a one foot spin (before I was only able to get maybe one rotation or just a half rotation)! Now it's just trying to get comfortable and control over my body so I can get into the scratch spin position!

The video below, starting at 2:13, shows what the backward crossover into the scratch spin should look like

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

All about the balance, isn't it! :D
Funny how simply straightening or bending one limb can make all the difference in the world. Very similar techniques are used in the saddle. Keeping the spine in-line, shifting shoulders and hips, even leaning the head one way or another, all of this impacts our balance and communicates to our horses.
Ooo!!! Figure skating horses!!! :lol: Too Funny!
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

BlackOak2 wrote:All about the balance, isn't it! :D
Funny how simply straightening or bending one limb can make all the difference in the world. Very similar techniques are used in the saddle. Keeping the spine in-line, shifting shoulders and hips, even leaning the head one way or another, all of this impacts our balance and communicates to our horses.
Ooo!!! Figure skating horses!!! :lol: Too Funny!
Definitely all about the balance. It is pretty hard to believe that a simple small thing can make a huge difference on how well you perform anything in figure skating.

Lol love the figure skating horses! :lol:
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

It has been a while since I've posted.

Lately for my jumps I've been working on my salchow jump, I probably end up not landing it 95% of the tries I've done but nearly every time I try, I'm super close but I oftenly keep on getting the wrong foot (my left) landing before my right foot lands due to my jump height. I need to continue working on jumping higher so that I can land on the correct foot.

I have learned the backward crossover into a one foot spin (before I could only do it from a stand still pivot) and now it's just a matter of getting more control of my whole body, getting more rotations, and eventually crossing my free leg (my right leg) over the leg that I'm spinning on to get my scratch spin.

Our coach has been working us hard which is a good thing. Today we did crossovers and she wanted us to go as fast as we could and that got my heart rate up.

Today we also have homework that isn't anything related to practicing our skills, we have to think of two or three skating related goals before our next practice. Surprising to have that kind of homework in skating lol!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

-_- Homework! Hah!

Actually, this never really goes away. If it's not a 'boss' giving you something to think about, it's yourself for an online game. ;)

It sounds like you're progressing quite well. Not slowing down on your skills yet. :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

BlackOak2 wrote:-_- Homework! Hah!

Actually, this never really goes away. If it's not a 'boss' giving you something to think about, it's yourself for an online game. ;)

It sounds like you're progressing quite well. Not slowing down on your skills yet. :D
Yup, like I said, who knew lol? At least it's nothing too crazy difficult :lol:

Lol yeah

Definitely still progressing. I'm a lot more comfortable with forward outside three turns on both feet after doing a ton of work on them and while working on my salchow jump since a three turn is one of the two entries into the jump.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Perfect!

The saying 'perfect practice makes perfect' is flawed. Because who's perfect on the first time? Okay, beginners luck, now try again! Hah! See? :P
Perfecting the practice will make perfect. :mrgreen:

And, it is funny, at times, to see what really effects other things. Who knew? :lol:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

We got to do suicides in practice today which are basically these but on the ice and we had to go as fast as we could down the length of the ice. Then we all got to chose one of our "two to three goals" to practice today. My two were to learn all of the jumps and learn the scratch spin and I chose to do the scratch spin because I knew that there's absolutely no way I could learn all the other jumps I've not yet attempted (I've only worked on 2 of the main 6 jumps). I learned that I had to be patient with my spins when she was watching me do my backward crossover into the spin (so when you enter the spin from the backward crossover, you should be staying down in your knee for almost a full rotation and I have to wait before I go up because what I was doing before, as soon as I did the backward crossover to the step into the spin, I went straight up, was incorrect and threw my spin all off. After making sure that I did that, I found it much easier to do a lot more rotations than before).

We now aren't meeting until early September for practices and our next session will be a total of 7 weeks so I'll have some work to before then. I'm very close to having most of the skills I need to pass Free Skate 1
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I certainly don't envy you with those suicide runs. :lol:
Your coach is certainly hard and a bit cruel! But seriously, it sounds like 'Coach' is a good one. :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

BlackOak2 wrote:I certainly don't envy you with those suicide runs. :lol:
Your coach is certainly hard and a bit cruel! But seriously, it sounds like 'Coach' is a good one. :D
She does work us hard but is a good one saying both from experience and from hearing from others who know her well. I definitely say she's one of my favorite instructors/coaches that I've had throughout my whole skating journey so far.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 9:41 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:41 pm