Community Forum

$ℱ~ Doing the Never Before: Creating the Racing St. Lawrence

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Update IV: Highlighted Stats & Speed in the 40s

Post by Sawd10 »

Update IV : Better Breeder's Reports & Better Stats
Yes, I'm trying to habituate updates.

Things are going well. I've got a couple of horses—male and female—with gold/green speed. I've got one stallion (below) with gold Speed and Stamina. There are a few with highlighted Stamina, but I'm having trouble getting the highlighted stamina to persistently dwell in my stock. I haven't gotten a single highlighted Agility comment yet, but I presume I will once I can switch my focus from Speed/Stamina to Agility alone. The Strength has always thrived due to their drafty heritage.

I am consistently getting offspring with 50k+ HGP now, as well, with the highest I've gotten being somewhere around 55.4k or so. Last time I updated, the HGP was in the 47-49k range.

Many of my recent foals have been born even-tempered, which is an easy step up from calm.

Dark Roast, the stallion from the previous update, has proven to be a good sire with the exception that he throws the most bombproof foals out of all of my stock.

Featured Stallion & Mare:
Please ignore the feathering and short mane and tail...
A wise man once said nothing at all.
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Re: Update IV: Highlighted Stats & Speed in the 40s

Post by Woodstock »

Sawd10 wrote:
Update IV : Better Breeder's Reports & Better Stats
Yes, I'm trying to habituate updates.

Things are going well. I've got a couple of horses—male and female—with gold/green speed. I've got one stallion (below) with gold Speed and Stamina. There are a few with highlighted Stamina, but I'm having trouble getting the highlighted stamina to persistently dwell in my stock. I haven't gotten a single highlighted Agility comment yet, but I presume I will once I can switch my focus from Speed/Stamina to Agility alone. The Strength has always thrived due to their drafty heritage.

I am consistently getting offspring with 50k+ HGP now, as well, with the highest I've gotten being somewhere around 55.4k or so. Last time I updated, the HGP was in the 47-49k range.

Many of my recent foals have been born even-tempered, which is an easy step up from calm.

Dark Roast, the stallion from the previous update, has proven to be a good sire with the exception that he throws the most bombproof foals out of all of my stock.

Featured Stallion & Mare:
Please ignore the feathering and short mane and tail...
Well hello! It is lovely to see you back and working on this project still!

I know when it first started I offered up the services of my Lawrences on my side... if for any reason you would see any of them being helpful feel free to go through them and we can perhaps work something out! They definitely are off from your standards but perhaps there is something in them that would be helpful for your lines... :roll:

Anyways I wish you the continued best of luck in this project and I am still excited to see where it goes! (I have slowly and by that I mean on and off for several long months been working on breeding some new blood St. Lawrences and perhaps this would be an avenue to take them down once I get them bred... currently just on Shires, kind of took a side road trying to improve those from what I could find on market)

Sorry for the long reply :lol:
Woodstock.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Woodstock wrote:
Well hello! It is lovely to see you back and working on this project still!

I know when it first started I offered up the services of my Lawrences on my side... if for any reason you would see any of them being helpful feel free to go through them and we can perhaps work something out! They definitely are off from your standards but perhaps there is something in them that would be helpful for your lines... :roll:

Anyways I wish you the continued best of luck in this project and I am still excited to see where it goes! (I have slowly and by that I mean on and off for several long months been working on breeding some new blood St. Lawrences and perhaps this would be an avenue to take them down once I get them bred... currently just on Shires, kind of took a side road trying to improve those from what I could find on market)

Sorry for the long reply :lol:
Woodstock.
Hello, no need to apologize for the lengthy reply; it's nice to read your replies. I'm currently in a monotonous stage of the project, haha. I should find more time to play.

Yes, I do remember you offering your line of St. Lawrences if I needed it earlier. Which, by the way, I'm thankful for because there really are not any other breeders around or active, and very few with an established line of their own.
I browsed the pastures of your side account: your St. Lawrences look beautiful. They've got very nice stats too. I'm among the people who are very fond of pangare. Ergo, naturally, I love that your lines carry pangare.
Now that I've time to think about further possibilities with my lines, perhaps once I've got the black/roan strand where I want them to be, I could create another strand with pangares. I could visualize that; I like the idea of that.

Hmm, maybe when we're both ready we could do a swap. Now, I'm not sure how interested you are in a Steeple St. Lawrence. But maybe if the interest pertains we could work something out that benefits both of our lines.

Improving Shires is a nice goal because it makes creating a good number of heavy breeds so much smoother.
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Post by Woodstock »

Sawd10 wrote:
Hello, no need to apologize for the lengthy reply; it's nice to read your replies. I'm currently in a monotonous stage of the project, haha. I should find more time to play.

Yes, I do remember you offering your line of St. Lawrences if I needed it earlier. Which, by the way, I'm thankful for because there really are not any other breeders around or active, and very few with an established line of their own.
I browsed the pastures of your side account: your St. Lawrences look beautiful. They've got very nice stats too. I'm among the people who are very fond of pangare. Ergo, naturally, I love that your lines carry pangare.
Now that I've time to think about further possibilities with my lines, perhaps once I've got the black/roan strand where I want them to be, I could create another strand with pangares. I could visualize that; I like the idea of that.

Hmm, maybe when we're both ready we could do a swap. Now, I'm not sure how interested you are in a Steeple St. Lawrence. But maybe if the interest pertains we could work something out that benefits both of our lines.

Improving Shires is a nice goal because it makes creating a good number of heavy breeds so much smoother.
Yes the Lawrences have never really taken off ever in game so a good majority of ones are somehow related to my lines if they aren't homebred, first generation... makes for outcrossing being very difficult :lol: I worked hard to get them to a high HGP and in general higher stamina and in some cases strength comments, they tended towards cross country pretty naturally! I don't know when the pangare snuck in... or how come to think of it :roll: but I am also very fond of it.

I think doing a nice swap at some point would have the potential to be very beneficial both ways!

After shires is the hope of improving Canadian Horses to 5* St. Lawrence eval and decent stats so that when I cross for fresh blood this time it is hopefully less of a task... at this rate I am probably very far off from having new blood Lawrences for a while... but I am excited to see them when they do happen!
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Update V : Third Time's a Charm & First Green Agility Comment

Post by Sawd10 »

I had to take a short break from aging days on this account while I earned PT on my side account in order to get Premium and have a way to check the conformations on my stock... But I'm back now.

This is officially the third round of out-crossing my stock. This time I'm breeding them to some Steeplechasing Thoroughbreds/Grades related to Bitapetrone's lines. It's a very easy cross because all of the De Whyle-related horses are blacks so I have no worries about spoiling the colouring of my own lines.
The purpose of round three of out-breeding is to add some fresh blood, (hopefully) add some more featherless horses into my lines so that I can eventually cull the feathered horses, and to breed in highlighted Agility comments.

...As it turns out, the very latter goal has been a success.
Check out the very first horse with green Agility in my lines:

Hall of Fame has been updated.

Yes, he is slightly too tall but I'll fix that by choosing mates that will even out the height.
I'm pretty content with him.

Other than the aforementioned goals and accomplishments, here's a succinct dissection of what my lines currently look like:
• A majority of my stock has highlighted Speed in some form. I have bred all of the lowest Speed comments, as well as some "natural-born racehorse" and "moves like lightning"/"faster than lightning" comments.
• I'm consistently getting horses with 55k+ HGP, with my proudest accomplishment currently standing at 59,077 HGP.
• Most of my horses have 40+ Speed; a couple of my best ones have 53-54 Speed. It will not be long before they are all in the 50s, and eventually, 60s.
• All of my stock has 30+ Agility, and it's been flourishing nicely.

I believe that the St. Lawrences are very near to being ready for competing in Steeplechasing competitions. Perhaps after this third round of crossing a couple of handsome competing prospects will pop out...?
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Re: Update V : Third Time's a Charm & First Green Agility Comment

Post by Woodstock »

Sawd10 wrote:
I had to take a short break from aging days on this account while I earned PT on my side account in order to get Premium and have a way to check the conformations on my stock... But I'm back now.

This is officially the third round of out-crossing my stock. This time I'm breeding them to some Steeplechasing Thoroughbreds/Grades related to Bitapetrone's lines. It's a very easy cross because all of the De Whyle-related horses are blacks so I have no worries about spoiling the colouring of my own lines.
The purpose of round three of out-breeding is to add some fresh blood, (hopefully) add some more featherless horses into my lines so that I can eventually cull the feathered horses, and to breed in highlighted Agility comments.

Yes, he is slightly too tall but I'll fix that by choosing mates that will even out the height.

Other than the aforementioned goals and accomplishments, here's a succinct dissection of what my lines currently look like:
• A majority of my stock has highlighted Speed in some form. I have bred all of the lowest Speed comments, as well as some "natural-born racehorse" and "moves like lightning"/"faster than lightning" comments.
• I'm consistently getting horses with 55k+ HGP, with my proudest accomplishment currently standing at 59,077 HGP.
• Most of my horses have 40+ Speed; a couple of my best ones have 53-54 Speed. It will not be long before they are all in the 50s, and eventually, 60s.

I believe that the St. Lawrences are very near to being ready for competing in Steeplechasing competitions. Perhaps after this third round of crossing a couple of handsome competing prospects will pop out...?
Any time I see you post an update to this project it makes me so happy! They are looking so good! Keep up the awesome work!
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Update V : Third Time's a Charm & First Green Agility Comment

Post by Sawd10 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sawd10 wrote:

Any time I see you post an update to this project it makes me so happy! They are looking so good! Keep up the awesome work!
Thank you so much. :mrgreen:
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 5:55 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:55 pm