Community Forum

My Mystery Mare

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Twisty
Visit My Farm

My Mystery Mare

Post by Twisty »

So, I bought a TB mare. Looked pretty simple at first. Aaaand then she turned 9.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3907805

Any suggestions are welcome. Tip, look at her Gallery.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: My Mystery Mare

Post by BlackOak2 »

Twisty wrote:So, I bought a TB mare. Looked pretty simple at first. Aaaand then she turned 9.

You have her as: Seal Brown Snowcap Grey
You're Really, Really close!

You missed the silver (as evidenced by the silvery mane and tail).
Did you know those eyes are from the tiger gene? So she has a double of that.

The reason she looks so different now is because Lp (leopard complex) causes varnishing throughout the horse's life. Sometimes it's quite strong, like you have, sometimes it's much subtler.

If she were a true gray, as in a horse that has the graying gene and will gray-out, on HWO, she would've been born as a newborn with her adult coat. Quite nice for admin to code it in like that. :mrgreen:

If you take a look at her mother

who is a gray...
And look at her as a newborn:
You'll see what I mean, by 'born with an adult coat'.

As compared by your horse as a newborn:

Does that cover it? :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Twisty
Visit My Farm

Post by Twisty »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Twisty wrote:So, I bought a TB mare. Looked pretty simple at first. Aaaand then she turned 9.

You have her as: Seal Brown Snowcap Grey
You're Really, Really close!

You missed the silver (as evidenced by the silvery mane and tail).
Did you know those eyes are from the tiger gene? So she has a double of that.

The reason she looks so different now is because Lp (leopard complex) causes varnishing throughout the horse's life. Sometimes it's quite strong, like you have, sometimes it's much subtler.

If she were a true gray, as in a horse that has the graying gene and will gray-out, on HWO, she would've been born as a newborn with her adult coat. Quite nice for admin to code it in like that. :mrgreen:

If you take a look at her mother

who is a gray...
And look at her as a newborn:
You'll see what I mean, by 'born with an adult coat'.

As compared by your horse as a newborn:

Does that cover it? :mrgreen:

Got you, so the varnish made her look like a grey! I also saw that her mom was grey so that made me think she may of inherited it.

So she is a Silver Seal Brown Varnish (Snowcap?)?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Twisty wrote:

Got you, so the varnish made her look like a grey! I also saw that her mom was grey so that made me think she may of inherited it.

Yuppers!

Just remember, the color names are for you. It's handy for the rest of us to read them... especially when looking for specific colors in the market... but I'm sure you realize that not everybody will name horses the same thing. So, use the color area to keep track of the horse colors the way that helps you most.

There are some people that will even use the color bar to put in the genotype. I did, at one time, start out that way. But I also found having such a thing in the owner notes was much, much easier to follow. :lol:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Twisty
Visit My Farm

Post by Twisty »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Twisty wrote:

Yuppers!

Just remember, the color names are for you. It's handy for the rest of us to read them... especially when looking for specific colors in the market... but I'm sure you realize that not everybody will name horses the same thing. So, use the color area to keep track of the horse colors the way that helps you most.

There are some people that will even use the color bar to put in the genotype. I did, at one time, start out that way. But I also found having such a thing in the owner notes was much, much easier to follow. :lol:
I don't guess there is an easy way to get the genotype other than guessing based off of parents and phenotype?
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

She has frost line
Twisty
Visit My Farm

Post by Twisty »

Horsechronicles12 wrote:

She has frost line
What does that mean?
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

Twisty wrote:
Horsechronicles12 wrote: She has frost line
What does that mean?
Some realation to her her had frosted out eventually and she got that gene
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: If she were a true gray, as in a horse that has the graying gene and will gray-out, on HWO, she would've been born as a newborn with her adult coat. Quite nice for admin to code it in like that. :mrgreen:
Just as a quick bit of info: it works this way in real-life, too! Foals that will gray out have a noticeable lack of foal camo. Lp can cause a lack of foal camo IRL, too. :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Horsechronicles12 wrote:
Twisty wrote:
What does that mean?
Some realation to her her had frosted out eventually and she got that gene
I don't guess there is an easy way to get the genotype other than guessing based off of parents and phenotype?
Sorry, not currently. It's supposed to come to us with the vet update, gene testing. But exactly what genes, how it'll be handled and if only realistically-known-gene-testing or something more... all of these are a bit of a mystery. :D

We're kind of all hoping that we can test for just about any color gene we want. Maybe separately, maybe in sets... maybe some of the more complicated one's with PT (pony tokens), maybe not. There is a lot of opinion out there concerning it.

As for 'Frost Line'. As in, that other topic looking for 'frost lines', I assumed they were asking for our player Frost and their rather famous bloodlines and not some color gene.

But there have been questions about the 'frost' color.
Such as frosted duns. <--this one really didn't go anywhere. I suppose there was maybe some confusion on what it actually is?
Hmm... I thought we had a discussion in the forums somewhere about frost on horses, but I can't seem to find it. If my memory serves me, it was quite informative (as far as the gene is known) and described a number of different aspects about it.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm