Community Forum

Silvery ugly duckling foal

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Silvery ugly duckling foal

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

I know he’s got champagne and prrrrrobably homo cream but why does he look like THAT
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Re: Silvery ugly duckling foal

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote:

I know he’s got champagne and prrrrrobably homo cream but why does he look like THAT
idk but hes cute. hes like a silver something....im not sure
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote: I know he’s got champagne and prrrrrobably homo cream but why does he look like THAT
I'm going to say that he's a black base and that he missed both silvers from both parents. So both parents are hetro- for the silver gene. :D He's still a triple dilute, but apparently his line has used the pairing of silver and triple to get the super white and the line wasn't pushed toward the brightest light phases of the base colors it can achieve (think dun & pangare combos that aren't pink and dun & pangare combos that are pink).

So... simply missed the silver gene. :mrgreen:

Still, he's a great example of triple with silver and triple without silver.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Cypress Creek Elites wrote: I know he’s got champagne and prrrrrobably homo cream but why does he look like THAT
I'm going to say that he's a black base and that he missed both silvers from both parents. So both parents are hetro- for the silver gene. :D He's still a triple dilute, but apparently his line has used the pairing of silver and triple to get the super white and the line wasn't pushed toward the brightest light phases of the base colors it can achieve (think dun & pangare combos that aren't pink and dun & pangare combos that are pink).

So... simply missed the silver gene. :mrgreen:

Still, he's a great example of triple with silver and triple without silver.
I'm going to disagree and say that this boy definitely has silver. The blue-ish gray color is typical of silver + champagne + pearl. So he's got silver and pearl. But what I'm not sure of is if he's a double pearl or a cream/pearl combo. I'll be better able to investigate when I'm not at work. :lol:

Nevermind, I was wrong about the silver part. But the blue-ish gray is typical of pearl. So black + champagne + 2x pearl. Here's another one.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Okay, that's a bit wild to me- I was under the impression that my line was just really, absurdly light cremellos with pangere. (I don't know that I've had any black bases that would exhibit silver). So ???
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Black isn't a far cry from any of the bases. Agouti works on top of a black base, so you'll have wild bay, bay and brown on a black base anyway. Chestnut is the absence of black. So, you'd only get chestnut bases from chestnut horses.

It appears you have the former mostly and not much of the later (as referenced by the black-based foal in question). :P
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

ohh gotcha. I didn't realize I had horses in the line carrying a! I've mostly had bays, before the cremellos took over.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:P

It happens to all of us. It's one of the reasons I'm not particularly fond with working with pseudo-whites.

*stubbornly does NOT look toward the herd of pseudo-white Tobiano shetlands currently on the farm*

Always easiest to set a color (all black or all chestnut) before delving into triple dilutes or pseudo's. All black can throw a chestnut from time to time, depending on how sticky the E/e is with the rest of the E/E's. But chestnuts will only ever throw chestnuts... so, likely one of the easiest base colors to work with.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 am