Community Forum

Black Oak Farms

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Black Oak Farms

Post by BlackOak2 »

Grand Prix wrote:
I can do that. Completely off topic but I have been trying to find the best Pole Bending studs recently and I have found a few but nothing compared to Lepords. I am hoping that the filly does good enough in PB to be bred to him. I don't want to waste perfectly good breeding for a horse I don't think can produce a good enough foal.

I will test them myself or send them to someone else. I haven't figured that out yet because I would like it done asap and with a trusted player so I will most probably do it myself.

I will keep you updated on their progress and I will give you the links for the Le' Grand ♦बड़ा♦ pastures so you can keep track as well.
Pole Bending & assorted
Log Pull
More coming with more room for pastures & horses.
I have also just bred
this filly
and was wondering if you think it is worth me getting her trained? I would really love your professional opinion.
:mrgreen:
Keep in mind that sometimes an awful performer creates the best offspring.

Mares should be the ones to 'carry' your bloodline, because they're the weaker gender, thus the best mares will always be 'less-than' the stallions. Or should be. If you find you have really impressive mares and lack the impressive studs, you're doing (still) the more important thing right. :lol:
A weak mare can kill your bloodline if bred too many times and too many poor foals are kept, but a poor stud usually has a stronger foal-cull rate because people generally look at a 'replacement colt' for him.
It's a very fine line, balancing good genes and good production.

You are a couple generations out from the last ones that were officially comp-tested on her. The other thing that will EASILY kill a bloodline and produce nothing but 'prettily papered' stock, is by accidentally breeding out the heart gene, the 'will to win'.
If you suspect you're going to use her as a breeder, you should test her heart to see if you want a lot of foals from her (strong heart genes to pass on) or maybe just one or two, to help keep her positive genes in your herd, but weed out the negative ones (the missing or weakened heart).
However... you don't necessarily have to train in order to test heart. Although, training will make the record much more uniform and easier to read.

Once you've established that you're still working with good heart genes, then every second generation or third generation is all that's really needed to check to make sure your heart genes remain stable.

This is what we risk when we breed out to unknown bloodlines, OR when we use our own unknown bloodlines and breed into confirmed stock.

I'm also one to test... pretty much everything. Since you've looked at my competition stock, if you had looked at the pedigrees, you should've noticed that most of them for a LOT of generations are titled at least to champion. That's not because I choose to title them, that's because each one is tested. A lot of them, well I suppose with very few exceptions, all of them, will earn their first champion title in somewhere under 30 entries.
The only ones that I push to the top and end up getting supreme and so on, titles are ones that have extremely high WPS and are extremely competitive, showing very strong heart genes.

So, that's where I'm at. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Grand Prix
Visit My Farm

Post by Grand Prix »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Grand Prix wrote:
I can do that. Completely off topic but I have been trying to find the best Pole Bending studs recently and I have found a few but nothing compared to Lepords. I am hoping that the filly does good enough in PB to be bred to him. I don't want to waste perfectly good breeding for a horse I don't think can produce a good enough foal.

I will test them myself or send them to someone else. I haven't figured that out yet because I would like it done asap and with a trusted player so I will most probably do it myself.

I will keep you updated on their progress and I will give you the links for the Le' Grand ♦बड़ा♦ pastures so you can keep track as well.
Pole Bending & assorted
Log Pull
More coming with more room for pastures & horses.
I have also just bred
this filly
and was wondering if you think it is worth me getting her trained? I would really love your professional opinion.
:mrgreen:
Keep in mind that sometimes an awful performer creates the best offspring.

Mares should be the ones to 'carry' your bloodline, because they're the weaker gender, thus the best mares will always be 'less-than' the stallions. Or should be. If you find you have really impressive mares and lack the impressive studs, you're doing (still) the more important thing right. :lol:
A weak mare can kill your bloodline if bred too many times and too many poor foals are kept, but a poor stud usually has a stronger foal-cull rate because people generally look at a 'replacement colt' for him.
It's a very fine line, balancing good genes and good production.

You are a couple generations out from the last ones that were officially comp-tested on her. The other thing that will EASILY kill a bloodline and produce nothing but 'prettily papered' stock, is by accidentally breeding out the heart gene, the 'will to win'.
If you suspect you're going to use her as a breeder, you should test her heart to see if you want a lot of foals from her (strong heart genes to pass on) or maybe just one or two, to help keep her positive genes in your herd, but weed out the negative ones (the missing or weakened heart).
However... you don't necessarily have to train in order to test heart. Although, training will make the record much more uniform and easier to read.

Once you've established that you're still working with good heart genes, then every second generation or third generation is all that's really needed to check to make sure your heart genes remain stable.

This is what we risk when we breed out to unknown bloodlines, OR when we use our own unknown bloodlines and breed into confirmed stock.

I'm also one to test... pretty much everything. Since you've looked at my competition stock, if you had looked at the pedigrees, you should've noticed that most of them for a LOT of generations are titled at least to champion. That's not because I choose to title them, that's because each one is tested. A lot of them, well I suppose with very few exceptions, all of them, will earn their first champion title in somewhere under 30 entries.
The only ones that I push to the top and end up getting supreme and so on, titles are ones that have extremely high WPS and are extremely competitive, showing very strong heart genes.

So, that's where I'm at. :mrgreen:
That was very helpful. I had no idea about most of that stuff. You have just helped my project a-lot, thank-you so much for your time and effort! I will keep you in touch for the 4 foals and the filly. I have a much better idea of what to expect when breeding and champing now too.

Thank-you again for your knowlage! :mrgreen:
You see a Beast, but I see my best friend...
Check out my website! ✥RHR✥ North Horse Ranch
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

shadowheart2006 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Oof!
*raises hand sheepishly* Done that too! :oops:
Also started a new project when I 'felt I was almost done with one' and found out I was... MONTHS away from finishing. :| :roll:
Every project I've started just got so overwhelming I moved the important horses to my side and aged out the rest, I don't think I've ever actually finished a project! :oops: :lol:
I've finished a couple mini-projects. One for red dun leopard belgians for vallers (supposed to take a month, stretched to almost three), a couple of breed-to-order ones (I offered a couple days, always stretched to a week), my rare sales one (unlimited time-span, but when I said it'd be another month to close, turned out to be I think two or three months to close)... and then I closed the Dauntless Project for bloodline failure (unknown timeline, it's a quick-breeding project with a LOT of age-out stock). You probably won't know of that last one. I need to redo that one from scratch.

(I moved the conversation to my farm log before we got caught by our own club rules.)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
shadowheart2006
Visit My Farm

Post by shadowheart2006 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
shadowheart2006 wrote:
Every project I've started just got so overwhelming I moved the important horses to my side and aged out the rest, I don't think I've ever actually finished a project! :oops: :lol:
I've finished a couple mini-projects. One for red dun leopard belgians for vallers (supposed to take a month, stretched to almost three), a couple of breed-to-order ones (I offered a couple days, always stretched to a week), my rare sales one (unlimited time-span, but when I said it'd be another month to close, turned out to be I think two or three months to close)... and then I closed the Dauntless Project for bloodline failure (unknown timeline, it's a quick-breeding project with a LOT of age-out stock). You probably won't know of that last one. I need to redo that one from scratch.

(I moved the conversation to my farm log before we got caught by our own club rules.)
Those all sound very interesting.
I was working on dappled Tbs for a while, and then leopard, and I have done a couple of rare breed projects that didn't really go anywhere. However, I recently started working on Preswalzkis horses with the confo of a racer. I managed to breed one, completely by accident, that was 45 speed, 80% prez, and had a very interesting color that I am hoping to breed into them. A sort of perlino with darker coloring around the feet and a very fluffy mane.

And I was going to suggest that we moved the conversation elsewhere if you didn't :lol:
The price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings.
If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts.

It's better to burn out, than to fade away.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

shadowheart2006 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I was working on dappled Tbs for a while, and then leopard, and I have done a couple of rare breed projects that didn't really go anywhere. However, I recently started working on Preswalzkis horses with the confo of a racer. I managed to breed one, completely by accident, that was 45 speed, 80% prez, and had a very interesting color that I am hoping to breed into them. A sort of perlino with darker coloring around the feet and a very fluffy mane.

And I was going to suggest that we moved the conversation elsewhere if you didn't :lol:
Prze horses from the AC are all bay dun pangares and come out sometimes looking like pseudo-creams (buckskin and perlino). So your fluffy-maned racer might still be the same color. :P

Projects are quite fun to work on. It's even better when they pan out, but I've found better and stronger interest in projects that nobody has tackled yet (at least for me). I work on projects better alone when I don't have to depend on anybody else. But that's me. :D The prez racer is quite an interesting project and considering some of it's recipes, could prove useful as a future money-maker. Considering you cruise through turns quick in the training, I can imagine you also cruise through project generations quick too! :lol:

(on the front page of this log, there's a breakdown of some of my projects, including, or should be included, is the dauntless project)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
shadowheart2006
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:
shadowheart2006 wrote:

Prze horses from the AC are all bay dun pangares and come out sometimes looking like pseudo-creams (buckskin and perlino). So your fluffy-maned racer might still be the same color. :P

Projects are quite fun to work on. It's even better when they pan out, but I've found better and stronger interest in projects that nobody has tackled yet (at least for me). I work on projects better alone when I don't have to depend on anybody else. But that's me. :D The prez racer is quite an interesting project and considering some of it's recipes, could prove useful as a future money-maker. Considering you cruise through turns quick in the training, I can imagine you also cruise through project generations quick too! :lol:

(on the front page of this log, there's a breakdown of some of my projects, including, or should be included, is the dauntless project)
I'm on my phone right now, but when I can get onto my laptop I'll put a picture of the horse I mentioned. I honestly got the idea from both Horze's racing belgians and from a project that Americanaa started with racing shetlands. I do usually blow through turns pretty quickly, which can make it easy to breed quickly, but it can also be very overwhelming when trying to train at the same time.

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

shadowheart2006 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I'm on my phone right now, but when I can get onto my laptop I'll put a picture of the horse I mentioned. I honestly got the idea from both Horze's racing belgians and from a project that Americanaa started with racing shetlands. I do usually blow through turns pretty quickly, which can make it easy to breed quickly, but it can also be very overwhelming when trying to train at the same time.
:lol: When my pc went down, I tried playing on a ipad... tried... I find it so annoying that I don't have the same maneuverability as I do with the mouse on a full-screen. Maybe I'd feel differently if I started to play on the tablet instead, I don't know. But I am certainly a pc player and won't every try going to something so small as a phone.
I don't envy you THOSE troubles! :lol: :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
shadowheart2006
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:
shadowheart2006 wrote:
:lol: When my pc went down, I tried playing on a ipad... tried... I find it so annoying that I don't have the same maneuverability as I do with the mouse on a full-screen. Maybe I'd feel differently if I started to play on the tablet instead, I don't know. But I am certainly a pc player and won't every try going to something so small as a phone.
Yes, it's quite difficult :lol: However, I do find that it's quicker and easier for entering horses in comps on my phone than on my computer, and it helps when transferring horses if I am logged into one account on each device so I don't need to log out on one device and then log in again and on and on. But I couldn't even imagine trying to train on my phone! :shock:
Here's that mare, took me forever to find her... https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2655113

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

shadowheart2006 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Yes, it's quite difficult :lol: However, I do find that it's quicker and easier for entering horses in comps on my phone than on my computer, and it helps when transferring horses if I am logged into one account on each device so I don't need to log out on one device and then log in again and on and on. But I couldn't even imagine trying to train on my phone! :shock:
Here's that mare, took me forever to find her... https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2655113
pc's you can use two different browsers, or just use the 'stealth' or 'private' browsing options. In the latter case, you can use the same browser and access two separate accounts on the same pc.

It does take forever to mass-enter comps... The point and click option is handy, but still tedious. I'm hoping that when the competition system revamp comes through, that admin also tackles that as well. Don't know how or where much improvement can happen... but I'm hoping that they find it.

Ooo! Maybe a 'highlight these comps' the click the box options and then the clicker for 'enter all highlighted competitions'! THAT would be nice! Of course, that would probably only make sense to work with just having the one horse entry page at a time. But that's more than worth it! Well, it's a step in the better and faster direction.

:o That IS a perlino! :D Imagine that! With dun and pangare too. So you have a psuedo-white through a double dilute paired with pangare and dun. And look at those leg-stripes! They're reversed. :P

She's a nice looker, and working toward a nice base too. That back will need to be shortened for optimum structure, but all in all, :P you know what you're doing. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
shadowheart2006
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:
shadowheart2006 wrote:
pc's you can use two different browsers, or just use the 'stealth' or 'private' browsing options. In the latter case, you can use the same browser and access two separate accounts on the same pc.

It does take forever to mass-enter comps... The point and click option is handy, but still tedious. I'm hoping that when the competition system revamp comes through, that admin also tackles that as well. Don't know how or where much improvement can happen... but I'm hoping that they find it.

Ooo! Maybe a 'highlight these comps' the click the box options and then the clicker for 'enter all highlighted competitions'! THAT would be nice! Of course, that would probably only make sense to work with just having the one horse entry page at a time. But that's more than worth it! Well, it's a step in the better and faster direction.

:o That IS a perlino! :D Imagine that! With dun and pangare too. So you have a psuedo-white through a double dilute paired with pangare and dun. And look at those leg-stripes! They're reversed. :P

She's a nice looker, and working toward a nice base too. That back will need to be shortened for optimum structure, but all in all, :P you know what you're doing. :mrgreen:
I know, I was really happy with the stripes especially, they're so interesting! That's kind of the reason that I went to Prezwalski's is because the idea of a racer with lots of dunning and pangare really appealed to me. I think that's a great idea for comps, it would come in so useful!

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 8:16 am

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:16 am