Community Forum

Really neat color- what is it?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Really neat color- what is it?

Post by h a z e l »

Aela
Visit My Farm

Re: Really neat color- what is it?

Post by Aela »

I'm torn between silver smoky cream tobiano pangaré (E_ aa CR/CR Z/n T/_) and silver black cream/pearl tobiano pangaré (E_ aa CR/PRL Z/n T/_). Both are equally possible in terms of pedigree, and those colours are almost identical. For now, my money is on cream/pearl, but it's near impossible to determine until he has thrown some foals

I'm very interesting in documenting the differences between the two colours. So I could test his out, if you'd like. Just put him up for stud and I'll breed some mares to him. :)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l »

Aela wrote:I'm torn between silver smoky cream tobiano pangaré (E_ aa CR/CR Z/n T/_) and silver black cream/pearl tobiano pangaré (E_ aa CR/PRL Z/n T/_). Both are equally possible in terms of pedigree, and those colours are almost identical. For now, my money is on cream/pearl, but it's near impossible to determine until he has thrown some foals

I'm very interesting in documenting the differences between the two colours. So I could test his out, if you'd like. Just put him up for stud and I'll breed some mares to him. :)
Sure I'd be happy to! He's up :) Thanks for the help so far!
redster
Visit My Farm

Post by redster »

Does he have some sort of dapple going on there? What gene is causing that effect?
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

_h a z e l_ wrote:
Aela wrote:I'm torn between silver smoky cream tobiano pangaré (E_ aa CR/CR Z/n T/_) and silver black cream/pearl tobiano pangaré (E_ aa CR/PRL Z/n T/_). Both are equally possible in terms of pedigree, and those colours are almost identical. For now, my money is on cream/pearl, but it's near impossible to determine until he has thrown some foals

No problem!

So, I did some testing - and I was partly right ;)

He's silver black cream/pearl tobiano pangaré as I thought, but also roan. So his genetic colour is something like (E_ aa CR/PRL Z/n T/n RN/n). Thanks for letting me test!
Realistic Breed Project

h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l »

Aela wrote:
_h a z e l_ wrote:
No problem!

So, I did some testing - and I was partly right ;)

He's silver black cream/pearl tobiano pangaré as I thought, but also roan. So his genetic colour is something like (E_ aa CR/PRL Z/n T/n RN/n). Thanks for letting me test!
No problem! :D So what would the name of his color be? Silver Black Cream Pearl Tobiano Pangaré Roan?
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

redster wrote:Does he have some sort of dapple going on there? What gene is causing that effect?
The silver gene, when combined with a black base, creates the dapples

This horse is black + silver (silver black/silver dapple)

When combined with two copies of cream or one copy of cream and pearl (still black base), they get this yellowish coat with white dapples. There are very subtle differences between these two colours - but cream/pearl + silvers usually have more self-coloured manes and tails than the 2x cream + silvers
Realistic Breed Project

Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

_h a z e l_ wrote::D So what would the name of his color be? Silver Black Cream Pearl Tobiano Pangaré Roan?
Technically, yes :lol:

I always leave out pangaré, sooty, tiger eye, etc. when I have those crazy long colour descriptions though, but that's more of a personal preference
Realistic Breed Project

h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l »

Aela wrote:
_h a z e l_ wrote::D So what would the name of his color be? Silver Black Cream Pearl Tobiano Pangaré Roan?
Technically, yes :lol:

I always leave out pangaré, sooty, tiger eye, etc. when I have those crazy long colour descriptions though, but that's more of a personal preference
Lol makes sense :lol: Thank you so much! :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 am