Community Forum

Very interesting colouring

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Aliw1995
Visit My Farm

Very interesting colouring

Post by Aliw1995 »

Can a horse carry the silver, dun and roan genes all at once? Thats my suspicion with this boy. His father is blue roan (possibly with dun) And his Dam is silver bay. He's thrown a bay dun foal and I'm excited to see what else he will produce
AWE Mystery Warrior

I'm also going to use him to introduce some more interesting colours into my AT, Arab and TB lines
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Very interesting colouring

Post by BlackOak2 »

Aliw1995 wrote:Can a horse carry the silver, dun and roan genes all at once? Thats my suspicion with this boy. His father is blue roan (possibly with dun) And his Dam is silver bay. He's thrown a bay dun foal and I'm excited to see what else he will produce
AWE Mystery Warrior

I'm also going to use him to introduce some more interesting colours into my AT, Arab and TB lines
Yes, a horse can have all these genes at once. I have even produced a couple dun, roan, pangare (and one that had flaxen and another that had silver). It gets a little difficult differentiating sometimes though.
I'm not sure if he offers dun.
His color isn't quite what I would expect of a silver grulla. He makes me think that your lines have hidden pearl, rather than him being a dun and black.
Silverine or Raikit or Totina may be able to explain exactly (much better than I; my dilution studies are still lacking).
Aliw1995
Visit My Farm

Post by Aliw1995 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Aliw1995 wrote:Can a horse carry the silver, dun and roan genes all at once? Thats my suspicion with this boy. His father is blue roan (possibly with dun) And his Dam is silver bay. He's thrown a bay dun foal and I'm excited to see what else he will produce
AWE Mystery Warrior

Yes, a horse can have all these genes at once. I have even produced a couple dun, roan, pangare (and one that had flaxen and another that had silver). It gets a little difficult differentiating sometimes though.
His color isn't quite what I would expect of a silver grulla. He makes me think that your lines have hidden pearl, rather than him being a dun and black.
Silverine or Raikit or Totina may be able to explain exactly (much better than I; my dilution studies are still lacking).
He definitely has dun. He threw a dun foal with a non dun mare
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Aliw1995 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
He definitely has dun. He threw a dun foal with a non dun mare
:D Well, sometimes it's hard to see. I once got a roaned foal from non-roaned parents... or at least so I thought! Red Dun with leopard can hide the roaning just enough. Go figure.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
AWE Mystery Warrior

He is silver dapple roan (black + silver + roan, sometimes called silver blue roan). His foal is actually red roan (bay + roan), not dun.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

He is most definitely a very unusually colored stallion. And, needless to say, very nice to look at.
Congratulations!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 pm